clock is fast one hour when returning from suspend

Asked by Justin Sunseri on 2007-04-15

I suspended my compuer over night for 2 nights in a row and each morning when i wake up and resume the computer the clock is one hour ahead of where it should be.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2007-04-15
Last reply:
2007-04-15
Philip Paquette (pcpaquette) said : #1

Is that a consistent behaviour or just a one time event? If it's a consistent behaviour, then do you have problems with your BIOS clock ? (i.e. if you turn off your computer for a long period of time, will the clock still be right?) If it's a one time event, have any programs interfered with the system clock (i.e. Windows)?

You'll need to investigate a bit more....

Justin Sunseri (jmsunseri) said : #2

I don't think i have any problems with the system clock. Perhaps this is
because of the DST change we had here and the BIOS has not accounted for
that. When a computer resumes from suspend does it get the time first from
the system clock and then goes out to find time from a server? Its pretty
consistent right now for a while i would not suspend my computer but i
recently gained faith that it would come back up properly so i've been
testing it out.

On 4/15/07, Philip Paquette <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Your question #5056 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/5056
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Philip Paquette requested for more information:
> Is that a consistent behaviour or just a one time event? If it's a
> consistent behaviour, then do you have problems with your BIOS clock ?
> (i.e. if you turn off your computer for a long period of time, will the
> clock still be right?) If it's a one time event, have any programs
> interfered with the system clock (i.e. Windows)?
>
> You'll need to investigate a bit more....
>
> _______________________________________________________________________
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/5056
>

--
Sincerely

Justin Sunseri

Philip Paquette (pcpaquette) said : #3

Then, the problem was caused by your DST change... When I computer resumes, it normally gets the time from the BIOS... so you shouldn't get this problem more than twice a year ;)

Also, could you mark this as solved... Thanks

Justin Sunseri (jmsunseri) said : #4

i don't suppose we could update the system clock from within ubuntu?

On 4/15/07, Philip Paquette <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Your question #5056 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/5056
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Philip Paquette proposed the following answer:
> Then, the problem was caused by your DST change... When I computer
> resumes, it normally gets the time from the BIOS... so you shouldn't get
> this problem more than twice a year ;)
>
> Also, could you mark this as solved... Thanks
>
> _______________________________________________________________________
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/5056/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/5056
>

--
Sincerely

Justin Sunseri

Justin Sunseri (jmsunseri) said : #5

the time that i get from the time server should be more accurate than that
of the bios

On 4/15/07, Justin Sunseri <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> i don't suppose we could update the system clock from within ubuntu?
>
> On 4/15/07, Philip Paquette < <email address hidden>> wrote:
> >
> > Your question #5056 on Ubuntu changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/5056
> >
> > Status: Open => Answered
> >
> > Philip Paquette proposed the following answer:
> > Then, the problem was caused by your DST change... When I computer
> > resumes, it normally gets the time from the BIOS... so you shouldn't get
> > this problem more than twice a year ;)
> >
> > Also, could you mark this as solved... Thanks
> >
> > _______________________________________________________________________
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > know that it is solved:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/5056/+confirm?answer_id=2
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/5056
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Sincerely
>
> Justin Sunseri

--
Sincerely

Justin Sunseri

Philip Paquette (pcpaquette) said : #6

Typically, if you update your time from within ubuntu, your BIOS time should be updated....

Try running in a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal), the following command: 'sudo ntpdate ntp.ubuntu.com' This will sync your computer with the ubuntu servers and hopefully fix the issue...

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Justin Sunseri for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.