canon ip 1500 will not print

Asked by stmcc on 2007-12-23

 My Canon Pixma ip 1500 is recognized by Ubuntu 7.1 However it will not print. It works fine with the dual boot XP

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Olivier
Solved:
Last query:
Last reply:
Revision history for this message
Olivier (olivier-lacroix) said :
#1

Hi !

See this page for instructions

http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/

tell me if you need more help to proceed

Revision history for this message
marcobra (Marco Braida) (marcobra) said :
#2

Here on OpenPrinting the result for your printer:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-PIXMA_iP1500

Please try this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanonPixmaIP1500

Hope this helps

Revision history for this message
Olivier (olivier-lacroix) said :
#3

I think adding the repository is easier. But do as you like

Revision history for this message
marcobra (Marco Braida) (marcobra) said :
#4

When i'm searching and i'm answering you Olivier give you a simpler method to resolve it
I strongly sugget to try first Olivier instructions... !

Thank you

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#5

Hi Oliver:
Thanks for your rapid response. I am a nubi to Linux and it will take me
some time to get up to speed. I tried apt-get install libcnbj-2.5
bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj
from the command line , but could not get it to take.
 Marcobi sent me a much more complicated method that I have not tried yet
. I will leave the wine off tomorrow and give it a try.
THANKS again.
MAC

On Dec 23, 2007 4:53 PM, Olivier <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Olivier proposed the following answer:
> Hi !
>
> See this page for instructions
>
> http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/<http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/%7Etakushi/>
>
> tell me if you need more help to proceed
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#6

Hi Marcobi:
As I told Oliver , I am a nubi to Linux and it is going to take me some
time to get up to speed. I did not have any luck with Oliver's method, but
that may have been my fault. Yours is much more complicated and I have been
with the wine bottle too long today to give it a fare chance. I will try
tomorrow and let you know how it works out .
THANKS
MAC

On Dec 23, 2007 4:59 PM, marcobra <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> marcobra proposed the following answer:
> When i'm searching and i'm answering you Olivier give you a simpler method
> to resolve it
> I strongly sugget to try first Olivier instructions... !
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594/+confirm?answer_id=3
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
Olivier (olivier-lacroix) said :
#7

Hi !

you first need to add the repository as explained in the first link I gave you. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu for details on how to do that.

The repository you need to add is

deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/ubuntu ./

Revision history for this message
marcobra (Marco Braida) (marcobra) said :
#8

Olivier, for a newbye some more detailed instructions may help, so:

Please open a Terminal from the menu Applications->Accessories->Terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

give your user password when requested, you don't see nothing when you type it, then press enter.

Append this row to the juust opened sources.list file:

deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian ./

Save the sources.list file and exit, then type:

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj

Cupsys will be automatically restarted and you can select printer in cupsys configuration (http://127.0.0.1:631/). Vendor is Canon and Driver is, for example, "Canon PIXUS iP8600 ver.2.5".

So open the internet browser and type into address bar: http://127.0.0.1:631/
and create and configure the printer.

Hope this helps

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#9

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
mac@mac-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  pstocanonbj: Depends: libcupsys2-gnutls10 (>= 1.1.23-1) but it is not
installable
E: Broken packages
mac@mac-desktop:~$

The above is what I get after trying the method you sent. Where did I mess
up.
MAC

On Dec 24, 2007 10:19 AM, marcobra <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> marcobra proposed the following answer:
> Olivier, for a newbye some more detailed instructions may help, so:
>
> Please open a Terminal from the menu Applications->Accessories->Terminal
> and type:
>
> sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> give your user password when requested, you don't see nothing when you
> type it, then press enter.
>
> Append this row to the juust opened sources.list file:
>
> deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian<http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/%7Etakushi/debian>./
>
> Save the sources.list file and exit, then type:
>
> sudo apt-get clean
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj
>
> Cupsys will be automatically restarted and you can select printer in
> cupsys configuration (http://127.0.0.1:631/). Vendor is Canon and Driver
> is, for example, "Canon PIXUS iP8600 ver.2.5".
>
> So open the internet browser and type into address bar:
> http://127.0.0.1:631/
> and create and configure the printer.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594/+confirm?answer_id=7
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#10

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~takushi/debian/ on this server.

This is what I get when I try and access:

> deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian<http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/%7Etakushi/debian>
<http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/%7Etakushi/debian>./
>

On Dec 25, 2007 8:24 AM, stmcc <<email address hidden> > wrote:

> Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> mac@mac-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5pstocanonbj
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> or been moved out of Incoming.
> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> pstocanonbj: Depends: libcupsys2-gnutls10 (>= 1.1.23-1) but it is not
> installable
> E: Broken packages
> mac@mac-desktop:~$
>
> The above is what I get after trying the method you sent. Where did I mess
>
> up.
> MAC
>
> On Dec 24, 2007 10:19 AM, marcobra <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
> >
> > marcobra proposed the following answer:
> > Olivier, for a newbye some more detailed instructions may help, so:
> >
> > Please open a Terminal from the menu Applications->Accessories->Terminal
> > and type:
> >
> > sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > give your user password when requested, you don't see nothing when you
> > type it, then press enter.
> >
> > Append this row to the juust opened sources.list file:
> >
> > deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian
> <http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/%7Etakushi/debian><
> http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/%7Etakushi/debian>./
> >
> > Save the sources.list file and exit, then type:
> >
> > sudo apt-get clean
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get upgrade
> > sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj
> >
> > Cupsys will be automatically restarted and you can select printer in
> > cupsys configuration (http://127.0.0.1:631/). Vendor is Canon and Driver
> > is, for example, "Canon PIXUS iP8600 ver.2.5".
> >
> > So open the internet browser and type into address bar:
> > http://127.0.0.1:631/
> > and create and configure the printer.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > --
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
>
> > know that it is solved:
> >
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594/+confirm?answer_id=7
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
> >
> > You received this question notification because you are a direct
> > subscriber of the question.
> >
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
marcobra (Marco Braida) (marcobra) said :
#11

I have sent email message to the repository maintainer to dress this issue...

Hope this Helps

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#12

Hi Marcobra:
When I check my Synaptic Pk Mgr. I have "mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/main"
listed. not jp/~taushi/debian
 could that be the reason that "pestocanonbj" will not load?
MAC

On Dec 27, 2007 1:29 PM, marcobra <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> marcobra proposed the following answer:
> I have sent email message to the repository maintainer to dress this
> issue...
>
> Hope this Helps
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594/+confirm?answer_id=10
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
marcobra (Marco Braida) (marcobra) said :
#13

Try to change it into

/etc/apt/sources.list

by yourself and try... ;-)

Hope this helps

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#14

Hi Marcobra:
"mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian "
is listed in my Software Sources/ Third Party Software.
MAC

On Dec 27, 2007 2:08 PM, marcobra <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> marcobra proposed the following answer:
> Try to change it into
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> by yourself and try... ;-)
>
> Hope this helps
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594/+confirm?answer_id=12
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
Olivier (olivier-lacroix) said :
#15

post here the output of the command

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

You may have an error in that file.

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#16

deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian ./
 This is listed in "cat /etc/apt/sources.list"
MAC

On Dec 27, 2007 2:58 PM, Olivier <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Olivier requested for more information:
> post here the output of the command
>
> cat /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> You may have an error in that file.
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
Olivier (olivier-lacroix) said :
#17

After trying myself, you need indeed the libcupsys2-gnutls10 package. Grab it here http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/cupsys/libcupsys2-gnutls10_1.2.7-4_all.deb

ans try again the following command

sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#18

I downloaded the package from the site.
applied :sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj.
The libcnbj-2.5,bjfilter-2.6 and pstocanonbj. now show as installed on the
synaptic pkg.mgr.
 Still will not print a test page or anything else. The canon pixma ip1500
is shown as the default printer. ???
MAC

On Dec 27, 2007 3:37 PM, Olivier <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Olivier proposed the following answer:
> After trying myself, you need indeed the libcupsys2-gnutls10 package.
> Grab it here
>
> http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/cupsys/libcupsys2-gnutls10_1.2.7-4_all.deb
>
> ans try again the following command
>
> sudo apt-get install libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594/+confirm?answer_id=16
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
Olivier (olivier-lacroix) said :
#19

Please go through the manual printer install and be sure to select the right driver. it should be Canon PIXUS iP1500 ver.2.5

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#20

Hi Olivier:
Where do I find the procedure for manual installation of the printer? Do I
have to remove it first and if so how?
MAC

On Dec 27, 2007 4:40 PM, Olivier <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Your question #20594 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Olivier proposed the following answer:
> Please go through the manual printer install and be sure to select the
> right driver. it should be Canon PIXUS iP1500 ver.2.5
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594/+confirm?answer_id=18
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/20594
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
Olivier (olivier-lacroix) said :
#21

I won't be able to answer that question precisely, since I use KDE and do not have GNOME installed. You should have an item such as "printer" in the Administration menu where you will be able to delete your current printer entry and add on by hand

Revision history for this message
Best Olivier (olivier-lacroix) said :
#22

If that does not work, you will have to use the howto indicated by macobra.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanonPixmaIP1500

Revision history for this message
stmcc (stmcc1) said :
#23

Printer problem solved!!!!!
I deleted the printer , recycled the computer and it found and installed all the right stuff. Printer works fine now. Marcobra and Olivier, thank you both very much for your patients and help
MAC