Please accept https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-tam as the translation managing team for Srilanka(Tamil)

Asked by Jeyaranjan Yogaraj on 2011-06-21

Please accept https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-tam as the translation managing team for Srilanka(Tamil)

I have set up the team ubuntu-l10n-tam according to the checklist below:
(./) Check for an existing team. Make sure there isn't already an existing Ubuntu translations team for your language. If this is the case, you can skip all subsequent steps and ask to join the team instead.
     There wasn't an existing team for Srilanka(Tamil)
There is no existing team under the name of “Tamil (Sri-Lanka)”
Srilankan(Tamil) version is unique for the following reasons.
- It is observed that srilanka has a set tamil words which are used local communication.
- These words and phrases are unique to srilanka. It is like English(US) and English (UK).
- Our task is to localize the Ubuntu to Srilankan Tamil Language. Therefore we would humbly request you to approve this team , so that we could proceed with the other relevant tasks such as translating ubuntu files & commands.
- We hope to do it through a community development process, so that at the end of this process we will also have a srilankan community using ubuntu. This will also spread the news across the other tamils living in srilanka and encourage them to use it.
- This will be another boost and helping tool for the srilankan tamils living in abroad such as Canada,UK,America, Eurpean countries and African countries to start using the Ubuntu in their own languages.

(./) Locale, keyboard and fonts. Make sure the language has a defined code, keyboard and fonts. You can skip this step if your language fulfills all requirements.
     My language fulfils all requirements.
Language code – ta
Country code – ta_LK
Keyboard – SLS 1134 standard
Font – Latha , Sri-Tamil

(./) Launchpad team. Create a new Launchpad team for your language. The team's name must accord to the following rules:
ubuntu-l10n-<ISO 639 language code> - Where <ISO 639 language code> is a two-letter or a three-letter (if the two-letter one is not available) ISO 639 code.
   This was done; the team's name is ubuntu-l10n-tam
Already there is a team under the name of “ubuntu-l10n-ta” which has the Indian Tamil version.
Indian (Tamil) is different from Srilanka(Tamil) like
English(US) and English(United Kingdom).Here it should be noted that both English(US) and English(UK) are recognized in ISO 639 code.
So I have created “ubuntu-l10n-tam” which also conforms to the standards as mentioned in ISO 639 code.

(./) Moderated subscription. Make the subscription policy of the new team Moderated or Restricted. Only this way you can ensure the quality of translations and make sure that upstream translations are not modified for no good reason.
This was done, the subscription policy is moderated.
(./) Team information. Add some brief information on the team's page. This should include:
    * A welcome note with the purpose of the team
    * A note on how to join the team
    * Links to the team's existing communication channels (e.g. mailing list, forums, IRC channel, wiki, etc)
     All these are there.
Visit : http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntu-review-team to get more details about the members.

(./) Team communication. The team should have a communication channel to coordinate the translation activities. This can be any of: a mailing list, IRC, forums, etc. This can be arranged after the team has been accepted, but it is a requirement.
This is already in place, a mailing list at <email address hidden>
There are 5 active members at present
(./) Guidelines. The team should have a set of translation guidelines. This can be arranged after the team has been accepted, but it is a requirement.
     We have already created the translation guidelines .
Visit ( This is the link which has the translation guide )
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=16f-1Og_Y5luzFA0YC7W-BPx4E_wulTEJlmupDGeHKHI
(./) Upstream collaboration. The team should be aware of any upstream translation efforts (e.g. GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, Debian, etc.), and coordinate with them if possible. You'll find more information about the different upstreams here.
     This is a tough one. I should explain that Srilanka(Tamil) is a REALLY minority language (but growing!!) and to put it shortly: there is no upstream. Hopefully this fact won't cause problems for me here, and I can say that if it became possible to contribute upstream I would definitely do it.
(./) Coordinator. The team should have a coordinator, who should subscribe to the ubuntu-translators mailing list and forward any relevant announcements or information to the team.
I've done this. I am the co-ordinator : ( I am Jeyaranjan Yogaraj) email :
<email address hidden>
Visit : https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-tam

(./) Application. Once all points have been addressed, simply file a support request and the Ubuntu Translations Coordinators will add the team to the Ubuntu Translators group.
    Right here. :)

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu Translations Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
David Planella
Solved:
2011-06-22
Last query:
2011-06-22
Last reply:
2011-06-22
David Planella (dpm) said : #1

Hi Jeyaranjan,

First of all thanks for your interest in translating Ubuntu into Tamil (Sri Lanka) and for your effort in preparing the application. It looks great, and I especially appreciate the work put in there and in the guidelines.

Before considering it, I've got a few questions:

* We only accept regional variants of the same language in rare occasions (such as English (UK) and Portuguese (Brazil)). Instead, we recommend joining efforts with the main language, so to avoid duplicating efforts and making the most of available resources. As an example, the Ubuntu Spanish Translation Team covers all Spanish variants spoken in different countries from a single team. I understand your reasoning on the application, but in any case, have you not considered joining efforts with the current Tamil translation team?
* The ta_LK locale is not defined on http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;hb=HEAD, so this would be one of the first things to sort out.
* We cannot have a team called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta' and another 'ubuntu-l10n-tam' team. If we were to appoint the Tamil (Sri Lanka) team it should probably be called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk' in order to avoid confusion.

Do you think you could answer these points first?

Hi David Planella,

Let me first thankyou for considering my application very seriously.Let me
first answer to your questions in order.
normally if you take the words and phrases of Srilanka ( Tamil ) and India (
Tamil ) , there is a huge difference in vocabulary and glossary terms. i
would say it is around 60% of the words are different. Therefore , we cannot
say it is a regional variants of the same language but it is something more
than that.People in this country speak and practice professional tamil
language. this i could say with responsibility and evidence. Even the other
countries which practice tamil have accepted this. I am a national
consultant to ICTA ( Information Communication Technology Agency of Srilanka
). ICTA is the one and only apex body which implements the ICT policies in
this country.I am also a sworn translator appointed by the state.This i
mentioned to give a brief introduction about myself.
coming back to the other question :

 have you not considered joining efforts with the current Tamil translation
team?
it is practically not possible.not possible technically either.As i told you
before , there are about 60% difference observed in use of words and
phrases.So there will be arguments and contradictions during the process.
We will not find anything productively.As a result there will be a big issue
when finalizing reviews. Therefore this option is not possible at all.

I am assigned to do a community based localization on Ubuntu interface. So,
we should give a user friendly localized version ( Srilanka Tamil ) to the
people in this country.
The main purpose of this project is to promote ubuntu use among tamil
speaking communities in this country.This objective will not be met if we
try to give the solution in different format.The whole purpose will be lost.

Further referring to the Link
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+lang/ta_LK

there your team has mentioned clearly, that

There is no team to manage Ubuntu <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu> translations
to Tamil (Sri-Lanka) <https://translations.launchpad.net/+languages/ta_LK>.
To set one up, please get in touch with .Ubuntu Translations
Coordinators<https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-translations-coordinators>
.

with regarding to the ta_LK locale , i have informed the relevant authority
to prepare an evidence report. if you have a short way to sort out this,
please tell us.in above text which appeared in your website, it used ta_LK
in the phrase.
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+lang/ta_LK
( look at the last 4 characters ).I am sure this is accepted globally, but
it is matter of registering in your source ware.
http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;hb=HEAD,
it is appreciated that if you could help us to sort out this.
 But for the time being, please help us to establish a team under
'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk'
at least for us to continue work on this project. By doing this you are
helping us to contribute globally by promoting ubuntu use in SRILANKA.
Hope you understand my situation.

Thanks

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM, David Planella <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> David Planella requested more information:
> Hi Jeyaranjan,
>
> First of all thanks for your interest in translating Ubuntu into Tamil
> (Sri Lanka) and for your effort in preparing the application. It looks
> great, and I especially appreciate the work put in there and in the
> guidelines.
>
> Before considering it, I've got a few questions:
>
> * We only accept regional variants of the same language in rare occasions
> (such as English (UK) and Portuguese (Brazil)). Instead, we recommend
> joining efforts with the main language, so to avoid duplicating efforts and
> making the most of available resources. As an example, the Ubuntu Spanish
> Translation Team covers all Spanish variants spoken in different countries
> from a single team. I understand your reasoning on the application, but in
> any case, have you not considered joining efforts with the current Tamil
> translation team?
> * The ta_LK locale is not defined on
> http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;hb=HEAD,
> so this would be one of the first things to sort out.
> * We cannot have a team called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta' and another
> 'ubuntu-l10n-tam' team. If we were to appoint the Tamil (Sri Lanka) team it
> should probably be called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk' in order to avoid confusion.
>
> Do you think you could answer these points first?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

David Planella (dpm) said : #3

El dt 21 de 06 de 2011 a les 12:51 +0000, en/na Jeyaranjan Yogaraj va
escriure:
> Question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
>
> Status: Needs information => Open
>
> Jeyaranjan Yogaraj gave more information on the question:
> Hi David Planella,
>
> Let me first thankyou for considering my application very seriously.Let me
> first answer to your questions in order.
> normally if you take the words and phrases of Srilanka ( Tamil ) and India (
> Tamil ) , there is a huge difference in vocabulary and glossary terms. i
> would say it is around 60% of the words are different. Therefore , we cannot
> say it is a regional variants of the same language but it is something more
> than that.People in this country speak and practice professional tamil
> language. this i could say with responsibility and evidence. Even the other
> countries which practice tamil have accepted this.

Hi,

I was not trying to demote the Tamil from Sri Lanka to a local dialect,
I do understand it is an official language, a variant of Tamil, and I do
try to get some information about a particular language whenever such
requests come up. The Ethnologue report list all the variants of Tamil
spoken in different countries under the 'tam' ISO code:

http://www.ethnologue.com/14/show_language.asp?code=TCV

I was rather trying to find out if there was any area for collaboration
across the teams. We do this in order to avoid duplication of work and
fragmentation of the translation community. Whenever we get such
requests we have to handle them very carefully, not only for these
reasons, but also because language matters can be very sensitive and can
cause conflict with other existing translation teams.

We've got exactly the same situation with other languages: we've got an
Ubuntu Spanish team that takes care of a single translation for all
Spanish-speaking countries, and an Ubuntu Arabic team that equally takes
care of a single translation for all Arabic-speaking countries.
Regardless of differences in vocabulary and sometimes even grammar
between countries, in those cases they share a common set of rules.

I'll be happy to appoint the Tamil (Sri Lanka) team as it seems you can
justify its need and you'll be actively working on it.

We'll first need to tackle a couple of technical issues (more on this
below), but I'd also like to ask you a couple of things:

      * Could you point me to any national language standards
        institution that either takes care of defining the main Tamil
        language standard or the one from Sri Lanka?
      * Would you mind contacting the current Tamil team from India to
        let them know about your translation effort and to explore any
        particular areas for collaboration?

Even if you share 40% common vocabulary, perhaps you can have scripts to
adapt the vocabulary in existing translations, in order to reuse
existing work (just an idea for a form of collaboration)

> I am a national
> consultant to ICTA ( Information Communication Technology Agency of Srilanka
> ). ICTA is the one and only apex body which implements the ICT policies in
> this country.I am also a sworn translator appointed by the state.This i
> mentioned to give a brief introduction about myself.
> coming back to the other question :
>
> have you not considered joining efforts with the current Tamil translation
> team?
> it is practically not possible.not possible technically either.As i told you
> before , there are about 60% difference observed in use of words and
> phrases.So there will be arguments and contradictions during the process.
> We will not find anything productively.As a result there will be a big issue
> when finalizing reviews. Therefore this option is not possible at all.
>
> I am assigned to do a community based localization on Ubuntu interface. So,
> we should give a user friendly localized version ( Srilanka Tamil ) to the
> people in this country.
> The main purpose of this project is to promote ubuntu use among tamil
> speaking communities in this country.

Sounds great!

> This objective will not be met if we
> try to give the solution in different format.The whole purpose will be lost.
>
> Further referring to the Link
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+lang/ta_LK
>
> there your team has mentioned clearly, that
>
> There is no team to manage Ubuntu <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu> translations
> to Tamil (Sri-Lanka) <https://translations.launchpad.net/+languages/ta_LK>.
> To set one up, please get in touch with .Ubuntu Translations
> Coordinators<https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-translations-coordinators>
> .
>
> with regarding to the ta_LK locale , i have informed the relevant authority
> to prepare an evidence report. if you have a short way to sort out this,
> please tell us.in above text which appeared in your website, it used ta_LK
> in the phrase.

There is no need to prepare any report, you simply need to create a
locale definition file. It doesn't matter that the language exists in
Launchpad: until the ta_LK local does not exist in the system, you won't
be able to use the translations on an installed system.

This is a technical requirement for any Linux-based distribution.

I'm guessing you can reuse a lot of the definitions from the ta_IN
locale, and that you can just use copy statements, e.g.:

LC_COLLATE
copy "ta_IN"
LC_COLLATE

I know this is getting a bit technical, but you'll only need to do this
once, and using the copy statements you should be able to easily create
the locale definition.

Here's a more detailed description of the steps:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/AddingNewLanguage#POSIX

Please follow them to get the ta_LK locale included in glibc and be able
to use the Tamil (Sri Lanka) translations.

This won't be a blocker for appointing the team, though (you can create
the locale after the team has been appointed)

> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+lang/ta_LK
> ( look at the last 4 characters ).I am sure this is accepted globally, but
> it is matter of registering in your source ware.
> http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;hb=HEAD,
> it is appreciated that if you could help us to sort out this.

As mentioned, the link above should give you all the info you need to
define the locale.

If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask.

> But for the time being, please help us to establish a team under
> 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk'
> at least for us to continue work on this project. By doing this you are
> helping us to contribute globally by promoting ubuntu use in SRILANKA.
> Hope you understand my situation.
>

I do, and I'll be glad to help. However, as a team owner you are the
only one (apart from the Launchpad admins) who can rename the team.

Do you think you could rename 'ubuntu-l10n-tam' to 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk'?
You can do it from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-tam/+edit.

After that, I'll be happy to appoint the team.

Regards,
David.

> Thanks
>
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM, David Planella <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
> > Your question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> >
> > Status: Open => Needs information
> >
> > David Planella requested more information:
> > Hi Jeyaranjan,
> >
> > First of all thanks for your interest in translating Ubuntu into Tamil
> > (Sri Lanka) and for your effort in preparing the application. It looks
> > great, and I especially appreciate the work put in there and in the
> > guidelines.
> >
> > Before considering it, I've got a few questions:
> >
> > * We only accept regional variants of the same language in rare occasions
> > (such as English (UK) and Portuguese (Brazil)). Instead, we recommend
> > joining efforts with the main language, so to avoid duplicating efforts and
> > making the most of available resources. As an example, the Ubuntu Spanish
> > Translation Team covers all Spanish variants spoken in different countries
> > from a single team. I understand your reasoning on the application, but in
> > any case, have you not considered joining efforts with the current Tamil
> > translation team?
> > * The ta_LK locale is not defined on
> > http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;hb=HEAD,
> > so this would be one of the first things to sort out.
> > * We cannot have a team called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta' and another
> > 'ubuntu-l10n-tam' team. If we were to appoint the Tamil (Sri Lanka) team it
> > should probably be called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk' in order to avoid confusion.
> >
> > Do you think you could answer these points first?
> >
> > --
> > To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> > this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> >
> > You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> >
>

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Hi David Planella,

First let me thankyou for appreciating our efforts and hard work we have put
in on this subject. Thank you once again for recognizing as a potential
language technical group.
As per your request, I have made the team under 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk'.

coming back to your questions :

       Could you point me to any national language standards
       institution that either takes care of defining the main Tamil
       language standard or the one from Sri Lanka?

     Well there is a ministry appointed for this purpose

     Ministry of National Languages & Social
Integration<http://www.lanintegmin.gov.lk/>
www.lanintegmin.gov.lk

you may get a brief introduction by visiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lankan_Tamil_dialects

also
ICTA ( Information Communication Technology Agency of Srilanka ) has
contributed a lot
in this field. just to get a glimpse, you may visit
http://www.icta.lk/ta/programmes/356-launch-of-sri-lanka-standard-tamil-character-code-a-landmarkminister-tissa-vitharana.html

we have tamil character code
we have language keyboard SLS 1134 standard
we have unique unicode font as well 'Sri-Tamil'

     * Would you mind contacting the current Tamil team from India to
       let them know about your translation effort and to explore any
       particular areas for collaboration?

       well. i have already contacted the owner of ubuntu-l10n-ta team. i
have clearly explained my position and requirement. he ( ஆமாச்சு ) promised
to help me in this regard. it is good news again. as you said , i will get
the 40% scripts from that team.

now about the 'ta_LK locale to be included in glibc'

I have got a copy of ta_IN locale .

I think i can do the changes. but i do not know the file extension and file
type

where should i save this file ?
how can i test it locally ?

please respond .

anyway , thanks for all the help.
another small request. please invite us for any conferences / training
workshops , so that we can present our ideas and share our experiences with
the others.

regards

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM, David Planella <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> David Planella proposed the following answer:
> El dt 21 de 06 de 2011 a les 12:51 +0000, en/na Jeyaranjan Yogaraj va
> escriure:
> > Question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> >
> > Status: Needs information => Open
> >
> > Jeyaranjan Yogaraj gave more information on the question:
> > Hi David Planella,
> >
> > Let me first thankyou for considering my application very seriously.Let
> me
> > first answer to your questions in order.
> > normally if you take the words and phrases of Srilanka ( Tamil ) and
> India (
> > Tamil ) , there is a huge difference in vocabulary and glossary terms. i
> > would say it is around 60% of the words are different. Therefore , we
> cannot
> > say it is a regional variants of the same language but it is something
> more
> > than that.People in this country speak and practice professional tamil
> > language. this i could say with responsibility and evidence. Even the
> other
> > countries which practice tamil have accepted this.
>
> Hi,
>
> I was not trying to demote the Tamil from Sri Lanka to a local dialect,
> I do understand it is an official language, a variant of Tamil, and I do
> try to get some information about a particular language whenever such
> requests come up. The Ethnologue report list all the variants of Tamil
> spoken in different countries under the 'tam' ISO code:
>
> http://www.ethnologue.com/14/show_language.asp?code=TCV
>
> I was rather trying to find out if there was any area for collaboration
> across the teams. We do this in order to avoid duplication of work and
> fragmentation of the translation community. Whenever we get such
> requests we have to handle them very carefully, not only for these
> reasons, but also because language matters can be very sensitive and can
> cause conflict with other existing translation teams.
>
> We've got exactly the same situation with other languages: we've got an
> Ubuntu Spanish team that takes care of a single translation for all
> Spanish-speaking countries, and an Ubuntu Arabic team that equally takes
> care of a single translation for all Arabic-speaking countries.
> Regardless of differences in vocabulary and sometimes even grammar
> between countries, in those cases they share a common set of rules.
>
> I'll be happy to appoint the Tamil (Sri Lanka) team as it seems you can
> justify its need and you'll be actively working on it.
>
> We'll first need to tackle a couple of technical issues (more on this
> below), but I'd also like to ask you a couple of things:
>
> * Could you point me to any national language standards
> institution that either takes care of defining the main Tamil
> language standard or the one from Sri Lanka?
> * Would you mind contacting the current Tamil team from India to
> let them know about your translation effort and to explore any
> particular areas for collaboration?
>
> Even if you share 40% common vocabulary, perhaps you can have scripts to
> adapt the vocabulary in existing translations, in order to reuse
> existing work (just an idea for a form of collaboration)
>
> > I am a national
> > consultant to ICTA ( Information Communication Technology Agency of
> Srilanka
> > ). ICTA is the one and only apex body which implements the ICT policies
> in
> > this country.I am also a sworn translator appointed by the state.This i
> > mentioned to give a brief introduction about myself.
> > coming back to the other question :
> >
> > have you not considered joining efforts with the current Tamil
> translation
> > team?
> > it is practically not possible.not possible technically either.As i told
> you
> > before , there are about 60% difference observed in use of words and
> > phrases.So there will be arguments and contradictions during the
> process.
> > We will not find anything productively.As a result there will be a big
> issue
> > when finalizing reviews. Therefore this option is not possible at all.
> >
> > I am assigned to do a community based localization on Ubuntu interface.
> So,
> > we should give a user friendly localized version ( Srilanka Tamil ) to
> the
> > people in this country.
> > The main purpose of this project is to promote ubuntu use among tamil
> > speaking communities in this country.
>
> Sounds great!
>
> > This objective will not be met if we
> > try to give the solution in different format.The whole purpose will be
> lost.
> >
> > Further referring to the Link
> > https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+lang/ta_LK
> >
> > there your team has mentioned clearly, that
> >
> > There is no team to manage Ubuntu <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu>
> translations
> > to Tamil (Sri-Lanka) <
> https://translations.launchpad.net/+languages/ta_LK>.
> > To set one up, please get in touch with .Ubuntu Translations
> > Coordinators<https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-translations-coordinators>
> > .
> >
> > with regarding to the ta_LK locale , i have informed the relevant
> authority
> > to prepare an evidence report. if you have a short way to sort out this,
> > please tell us.in above text which appeared in your website, it used
> ta_LK
> > in the phrase.
>
> There is no need to prepare any report, you simply need to create a
> locale definition file. It doesn't matter that the language exists in
> Launchpad: until the ta_LK local does not exist in the system, you won't
> be able to use the translations on an installed system.
>
> This is a technical requirement for any Linux-based distribution.
>
> I'm guessing you can reuse a lot of the definitions from the ta_IN
> locale, and that you can just use copy statements, e.g.:
>
> LC_COLLATE
> copy "ta_IN"
> LC_COLLATE
>
> I know this is getting a bit technical, but you'll only need to do this
> once, and using the copy statements you should be able to easily create
> the locale definition.
>
> Here's a more detailed description of the steps:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/AddingNewLanguage#POSIX
>
> Please follow them to get the ta_LK locale included in glibc and be able
> to use the Tamil (Sri Lanka) translations.
>
> This won't be a blocker for appointing the team, though (you can create
> the locale after the team has been appointed)
>
> > https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+lang/ta_LK
> > ( look at the last 4 characters ).I am sure this is accepted globally,
> but
> > it is matter of registering in your source ware.
> >
> http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;hb=HEAD
> ,
> > it is appreciated that if you could help us to sort out this.
>
> As mentioned, the link above should give you all the info you need to
> define the locale.
>
> If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask.
>
> > But for the time being, please help us to establish a team under
> > 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk'
> > at least for us to continue work on this project. By doing this you are
> > helping us to contribute globally by promoting ubuntu use in SRILANKA.
> > Hope you understand my situation.
> >
>
> I do, and I'll be glad to help. However, as a team owner you are the
> only one (apart from the Launchpad admins) who can rename the team.
>
> Do you think you could rename 'ubuntu-l10n-tam' to 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk'?
> You can do it from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-tam/+edit.
>
> After that, I'll be happy to appoint the team.
>
> Regards,
> David.
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM, David Planella <
> > <email address hidden>> wrote:
> >
> > > Your question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> > > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> > >
> > > Status: Open => Needs information
> > >
> > > David Planella requested more information:
> > > Hi Jeyaranjan,
> > >
> > > First of all thanks for your interest in translating Ubuntu into Tamil
> > > (Sri Lanka) and for your effort in preparing the application. It looks
> > > great, and I especially appreciate the work put in there and in the
> > > guidelines.
> > >
> > > Before considering it, I've got a few questions:
> > >
> > > * We only accept regional variants of the same language in rare
> occasions
> > > (such as English (UK) and Portuguese (Brazil)). Instead, we recommend
> > > joining efforts with the main language, so to avoid duplicating efforts
> and
> > > making the most of available resources. As an example, the Ubuntu
> Spanish
> > > Translation Team covers all Spanish variants spoken in different
> countries
> > > from a single team. I understand your reasoning on the application, but
> in
> > > any case, have you not considered joining efforts with the current
> Tamil
> > > translation team?
> > > * The ta_LK locale is not defined on
> > >
> http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;hb=HEAD
> ,
> > > so this would be one of the first things to sort out.
> > > * We cannot have a team called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta' and another
> > > 'ubuntu-l10n-tam' team. If we were to appoint the Tamil (Sri Lanka)
> team it
> > > should probably be called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk' in order to avoid
> confusion.
> > >
> > > Do you think you could answer these points first?
> > >
> > > --
> > > To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> > > this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> > > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> > >
> > > You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> > >
> >
>
>
> --
> David Planella
> Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
> www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
> www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Best David Planella (dpm) said : #5

El dc 22 de 06 de 2011 a les 09:21 +0000, en/na Jeyaranjan Yogaraj va
escriure:
> Question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> Jeyaranjan Yogaraj is still having a problem:
> Hi David Planella,
>
> First let me thankyou for appreciating our efforts and hard work we have put
> in on this subject. Thank you once again for recognizing as a potential
> language technical group.
> As per your request, I have made the team under 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk'.
>
> coming back to your questions :
>
> Could you point me to any national language standards
> institution that either takes care of defining the main Tamil
> language standard or the one from Sri Lanka?
>
> Well there is a ministry appointed for this purpose
>
> Ministry of National Languages & Social
> Integration<http://www.lanintegmin.gov.lk/>
> www.lanintegmin.gov.lk
>
> you may get a brief introduction by visiting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Lankan_Tamil_dialects
>
> also
> ICTA ( Information Communication Technology Agency of Srilanka ) has
> contributed a lot
> in this field. just to get a glimpse, you may visit
> http://www.icta.lk/ta/programmes/356-launch-of-sri-lanka-standard-tamil-character-code-a-landmarkminister-tissa-vitharana.html
>
> we have tamil character code
> we have language keyboard SLS 1134 standard
> we have unique unicode font as well 'Sri-Tamil'
>
> * Would you mind contacting the current Tamil team from India to
> let them know about your translation effort and to explore any
> particular areas for collaboration?
>
> well. i have already contacted the owner of ubuntu-l10n-ta team. i
> have clearly explained my position and requirement. he ( ஆமாச்சு ) promised
> to help me in this regard. it is good news again. as you said , i will get
> the 40% scripts from that team.
>

I'm not sure what you mean by the 40% scripts, but I'm glad you've
initiated contact with the Tamil Indian team.

> now about the 'ta_LK locale to be included in glibc'
>
> I have got a copy of ta_IN locale .
>

I'd suggest you to please read the
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/AddingNewLanguage#POSIX document as indicated first.

> I think i can do the changes. but i do not know the file extension and file
> type

You have to create a file named 'ta_LK', with no extension. This file is
a locale definition, and it's got a special syntax.

You cannot just copy the ta_IN file and rename it. Instead, you need to
create a ta_LK file and add copy statements where appropriate, following
the syntax.

The wiki page above contains some links to documents with more
information about the syntax.

I realise this is a bit of a complex step, but it just needs to be done
once, and we can give you a hand if you need help.

To help you get started, here is a template you can use to create the
ta_LK file:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/630762/

You'll need to:
      * Fill in at least all the <ADD SOMETHING HERE> sections
      * Check out that in each LC_* section it is appropriate to copy
        the format from the ta_IN locale

>
> where should i save this file ?
> how can i test it locally ?
>

This is covered in point 5. on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/AddingNewLanguage#POSIX

> please respond .
>
> anyway , thanks for all the help.

I've appointed your team for the translation of Ubuntu to Tamil (Sri
Lanka). You should now be able to start translating Ubuntu straight away
from:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric

As a final step, I'd like to ask you to:

      * Address the points listed on:
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/StartingTeam#After
      * If you are using the google group instead of the Launchpad
        mailing list, please set that as your contact e-mail on
        https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk and disable the
        Launchpad mailing list. Otherwise, it will be confusing to
        people wanting to contact your team.

Thanks a lot.

So welcome to the Ubuntu Translations community and happy
translating! :-)

> another small request. please invite us for any conferences / training
> workshops , so that we can present our ideas and share our experiences with
> the others.
>

We organize a conference called the Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS) every
6 months. Please subscribe to the Ubuntu Translators mailing list to
stay up to date.

You'll find more info on: http://uds.ubuntu.com/

> regards
>
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM, David Planella <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
> > Your question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> >
> > Status: Open => Answered
> >
> > David Planella proposed the following answer:
> > El dt 21 de 06 de 2011 a les 12:51 +0000, en/na Jeyaranjan Yogaraj va
> > escriure:
> > > Question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> > > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> > >
> > > Status: Needs information => Open
> > >
> > > Jeyaranjan Yogaraj gave more information on the question:
> > > Hi David Planella,
> > >
> > > Let me first thankyou for considering my application very seriously.Let
> > me
> > > first answer to your questions in order.
> > > normally if you take the words and phrases of Srilanka ( Tamil ) and
> > India (
> > > Tamil ) , there is a huge difference in vocabulary and glossary terms. i
> > > would say it is around 60% of the words are different. Therefore , we
> > cannot
> > > say it is a regional variants of the same language but it is something
> > more
> > > than that.People in this country speak and practice professional tamil
> > > language. this i could say with responsibility and evidence. Even the
> > other
> > > countries which practice tamil have accepted this.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was not trying to demote the Tamil from Sri Lanka to a local dialect,
> > I do understand it is an official language, a variant of Tamil, and I do
> > try to get some information about a particular language whenever such
> > requests come up. The Ethnologue report list all the variants of Tamil
> > spoken in different countries under the 'tam' ISO code:
> >
> > http://www.ethnologue.com/14/show_language.asp?code=TCV
> >
> > I was rather trying to find out if there was any area for collaboration
> > across the teams. We do this in order to avoid duplication of work and
> > fragmentation of the translation community. Whenever we get such
> > requests we have to handle them very carefully, not only for these
> > reasons, but also because language matters can be very sensitive and can
> > cause conflict with other existing translation teams.
> >
> > We've got exactly the same situation with other languages: we've got an
> > Ubuntu Spanish team that takes care of a single translation for all
> > Spanish-speaking countries, and an Ubuntu Arabic team that equally takes
> > care of a single translation for all Arabic-speaking countries.
> > Regardless of differences in vocabulary and sometimes even grammar
> > between countries, in those cases they share a common set of rules.
> >
> > I'll be happy to appoint the Tamil (Sri Lanka) team as it seems you can
> > justify its need and you'll be actively working on it.
> >
> > We'll first need to tackle a couple of technical issues (more on this
> > below), but I'd also like to ask you a couple of things:
> >
> > * Could you point me to any national language standards
> > institution that either takes care of defining the main Tamil
> > language standard or the one from Sri Lanka?
> > * Would you mind contacting the current Tamil team from India to
> > let them know about your translation effort and to explore any
> > particular areas for collaboration?
> >
> > Even if you share 40% common vocabulary, perhaps you can have scripts to
> > adapt the vocabulary in existing translations, in order to reuse
> > existing work (just an idea for a form of collaboration)
> >
> > > I am a national
> > > consultant to ICTA ( Information Communication Technology Agency of
> > Srilanka
> > > ). ICTA is the one and only apex body which implements the ICT policies
> > in
> > > this country.I am also a sworn translator appointed by the state.This i
> > > mentioned to give a brief introduction about myself.
> > > coming back to the other question :
> > >
> > > have you not considered joining efforts with the current Tamil
> > translation
> > > team?
> > > it is practically not possible.not possible technically either.As i told
> > you
> > > before , there are about 60% difference observed in use of words and
> > > phrases.So there will be arguments and contradictions during the
> > process.
> > > We will not find anything productively.As a result there will be a big
> > issue
> > > when finalizing reviews. Therefore this option is not possible at all.
> > >
> > > I am assigned to do a community based localization on Ubuntu interface.
> > So,
> > > we should give a user friendly localized version ( Srilanka Tamil ) to
> > the
> > > people in this country.
> > > The main purpose of this project is to promote ubuntu use among tamil
> > > speaking communities in this country.
> >
> > Sounds great!
> >
> > > This objective will not be met if we
> > > try to give the solution in different format.The whole purpose will be
> > lost.
> > >
> > > Further referring to the Link
> > > https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+lang/ta_LK
> > >
> > > there your team has mentioned clearly, that
> > >
> > > There is no team to manage Ubuntu <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu>
> > translations
> > > to Tamil (Sri-Lanka) <
> > https://translations.launchpad.net/+languages/ta_LK>.
> > > To set one up, please get in touch with .Ubuntu Translations
> > > Coordinators<https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-translations-coordinators>
> > > .
> > >
> > > with regarding to the ta_LK locale , i have informed the relevant
> > authority
> > > to prepare an evidence report. if you have a short way to sort out this,
> > > please tell us.in above text which appeared in your website, it used
> > ta_LK
> > > in the phrase.
> >
> > There is no need to prepare any report, you simply need to create a
> > locale definition file. It doesn't matter that the language exists in
> > Launchpad: until the ta_LK local does not exist in the system, you won't
> > be able to use the translations on an installed system.
> >
> > This is a technical requirement for any Linux-based distribution.
> >
> > I'm guessing you can reuse a lot of the definitions from the ta_IN
> > locale, and that you can just use copy statements, e.g.:
> >
> > LC_COLLATE
> > copy "ta_IN"
> > LC_COLLATE
> >
> > I know this is getting a bit technical, but you'll only need to do this
> > once, and using the copy statements you should be able to easily create
> > the locale definition.
> >
> > Here's a more detailed description of the steps:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/AddingNewLanguage#POSIX
> >
> > Please follow them to get the ta_LK locale included in glibc and be able
> > to use the Tamil (Sri Lanka) translations.
> >
> > This won't be a blocker for appointing the team, though (you can create
> > the locale after the team has been appointed)
> >
> > > https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+lang/ta_LK
> > > ( look at the last 4 characters ).I am sure this is accepted globally,
> > but
> > > it is matter of registering in your source ware.
> > >
> > http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;hb=HEAD
> > ,
> > > it is appreciated that if you could help us to sort out this.
> >
> > As mentioned, the link above should give you all the info you need to
> > define the locale.
> >
> > If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask.
> >
> > > But for the time being, please help us to establish a team under
> > > 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk'
> > > at least for us to continue work on this project. By doing this you are
> > > helping us to contribute globally by promoting ubuntu use in SRILANKA.
> > > Hope you understand my situation.
> > >
> >
> > I do, and I'll be glad to help. However, as a team owner you are the
> > only one (apart from the Launchpad admins) who can rename the team.
> >
> > Do you think you could rename 'ubuntu-l10n-tam' to 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk'?
> > You can do it from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-tam/+edit.
> >
> > After that, I'll be happy to appoint the team.
> >
> > Regards,
> > David.
> >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM, David Planella <
> > > <email address hidden>> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Your question #162184 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> > > > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> > > >
> > > > Status: Open => Needs information
> > > >
> > > > David Planella requested more information:
> > > > Hi Jeyaranjan,
> > > >
> > > > First of all thanks for your interest in translating Ubuntu into Tamil
> > > > (Sri Lanka) and for your effort in preparing the application. It looks
> > > > great, and I especially appreciate the work put in there and in the
> > > > guidelines.
> > > >
> > > > Before considering it, I've got a few questions:
> > > >
> > > > * We only accept regional variants of the same language in rare
> > occasions
> > > > (such as English (UK) and Portuguese (Brazil)). Instead, we recommend
> > > > joining efforts with the main language, so to avoid duplicating efforts
> > and
> > > > making the most of available resources. As an example, the Ubuntu
> > Spanish
> > > > Translation Team covers all Spanish variants spoken in different
> > countries
> > > > from a single team. I understand your reasoning on the application, but
> > in
> > > > any case, have you not considered joining efforts with the current
> > Tamil
> > > > translation team?
> > > > * The ta_LK locale is not defined on
> > > >
> > http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;hb=HEAD
> > ,
> > > > so this would be one of the first things to sort out.
> > > > * We cannot have a team called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta' and another
> > > > 'ubuntu-l10n-tam' team. If we were to appoint the Tamil (Sri Lanka)
> > team it
> > > > should probably be called 'ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk' in order to avoid
> > confusion.
> > > >
> > > > Do you think you could answer these points first?
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> > > > this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> > > > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> > > >
> > > > You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > --
> > David Planella
> > Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
> > www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
> > www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella
> >
> > --
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > know that it is solved:
> >
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184/+confirm?answer_id=2
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/162184
> >
> > You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> >
>

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

I am glad to say that my team ( website : https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-ta-lk has been appointed as the translation managing team for Srilanka(Tamil) )

However , i am in the process of adding ta_LK locale into the source ware. the guidelines are being followed.
 Anyway, I would say This has solved my problem.

Owner ( Ubuntu Srilanka Tamil Translators )