Indonesian translation team

Asked by Gary Dean on 2010-12-12

The Indonesian Team administration appears to be unstable or perhaps buggy.

I used keep getting notices stating that my membership is about to expire, even though I am one of the few people active at the moment. This morning, I was actually deleted from the team.

What's going on here? My attempts to locate the team leader have not yet been successful.

Should I start a new team?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu Translations Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2010-12-12
Last reply:
2010-12-16
David Planella (dpm) said : #1

El dg 12 de 12 de 2010 a les 02:32 +0000, en/na Gary Dean va escriure:
> New question #137492 on Ubuntu Translations:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/137492
>
> The Indonesian Team administration appears to be unstable or perhaps buggy.
>
> I used keep getting notices stating that my membership is about to expire, even though I am one of the few people active at the moment. This morning, I was actually deleted from the team.
>
> What's going on here? My attempts to locate the team leader have not yet been successful.
>
> Should I start a new team?
>

Hi Gary,

The reason why you got notices that your membership is about to expire
is because you were added to the team with an expiry date set.

On the e-mail notices you got you should have received instructions on
how to reactivate your membership.

I got another e-mail a couple of days ago about the current team owner
not being responsive anymore, so your support request seems to confirm
this.

Mahyuddin Susanto sent me that e-mail telling me that he's the new team
coordinator, so I'd recommend you to contact him (his e-mail is on CC).

I would also strongly recommend:

      * Changing the team owner, as the current one has become inactive,
        as per the procedure at:
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/RoleReassignmentPolicy
      * Follow some of the best practices for Ubuntu translation teams:
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/openweekMaverick/BestPracticesForTranslationTeams

It seems to me that the Indonesian team members are a bit disconnected
from each other, so the first thing I'd recommend for the new team
coordinator is to set up a common communication channel (e.g. mailing
list, IRC, forum... whatever form preferred), ask all members to join in
and either start a thread to discuss the change of coordinator and the
current team situation or run an IRC meeting with these topics.

We're soon going to have the Ubuntu Global Jam [1]. That would also be a
great opportunity to organize an Indonesian Translation Jam and get
together to translate Ubuntu into Indonesian.

Regards,
David.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

David Planella (dpm) said : #2

El dg 12 de 12 de 2010 a les 11:51 +0000, en/na David Planella va
escriure:
> Question #137492 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/137492
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> David Planella proposed the following answer:
> El dg 12 de 12 de 2010 a les 02:32 +0000, en/na Gary Dean va escriure:
> > New question #137492 on Ubuntu Translations:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/137492
> >
> > The Indonesian Team administration appears to be unstable or perhaps buggy.
> >
> > I used keep getting notices stating that my membership is about to expire, even though I am one of the few people active at the moment. This morning, I was actually deleted from the team.
> >
> > What's going on here? My attempts to locate the team leader have not yet been successful.
> >
> > Should I start a new team?
> >
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> The reason why you got notices that your membership is about to expire
> is because you were added to the team with an expiry date set.
>
> On the e-mail notices you got you should have received instructions on
> how to reactivate your membership.
>
> I got another e-mail a couple of days ago about the current team owner
> not being responsive anymore, so your support request seems to confirm
> this.
>
> Mahyuddin Susanto sent me that e-mail telling me that he's the new team
> coordinator, so I'd recommend you to contact him (his e-mail is on CC).
>
> I would also strongly recommend:
>
> * Changing the team owner, as the current one has become inactive,
> as per the procedure at:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/RoleReassignmentPolicy
> * Follow some of the best practices for Ubuntu translation teams:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/openweekMaverick/BestPracticesForTranslationTeams
>
> It seems to me that the Indonesian team members are a bit disconnected
> from each other, so the first thing I'd recommend for the new team
> coordinator is to set up a common communication channel (e.g. mailing
> list, IRC, forum... whatever form preferred), ask all members to join in
> and either start a thread to discuss the change of coordinator and the
> current team situation or run an IRC meeting with these topics.
>
> We're soon going to have the Ubuntu Global Jam [1]. That would also be a
> great opportunity to organize an Indonesian Translation Jam and get
> together to translate Ubuntu into Indonesian.
>
> Regards,
> David.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam
>

I've just noticed that the team indeed has a mailing list, but from the
69 members, ony a handful are subscribed to it:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-id/+mailing-list-subscribers

So another suggestion would be to make it a requirement for being part
of the team to be subscribed to the mailing list, as right now many of
the translators seem to be doing contributions in a bit of a
disconnected way, not making the most of what they could achieve being
part of a translation community.

Regards,
David.
--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Mahyuddin Susanto (udienz) said : #3

Gari, as Devid say above if your membership will expired please send an email to administrator. we (from ubuntu-id staff) don't want quantity but quality, we want to know who is active translator who is only-apply-membership-ant-then-go. i got an email about your membership will expired, but you don't want to replying. why?

Please come to us, end an email to <email address hidden> or ubuntu-id list at google, come to irc #ubuntu-id is a good idea.

Gary Dean (garydean) said : #4

Mahyuddin, memang saya sangat sejutu bahwa kwalitas terjemahan itu penting. saya sering memperbaiki terjemahan yg keliru, di mana penerjemahnya kurang faham arti kalimat bahasa inggris secara sempurna.

saya juga bukan seorang penggembira, yang suka ikut2an cuma untuk cari gensi. (saya lihat di halaman launchpad bapak sendiri belum ada kegiatan terjemahan sejak bulan Des 2009.)

btw, this is the first message I have received from anyone connected with Ubuntu in Indonesia, after more than two years trying. The mailing list looks to be a promising way of connecting, and i shall join up as soon as my membership is restored.

Mahyuddin Susanto (udienz) said : #5

Hello
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Gary Dean
<email address hidden> wrote:

> Gary Dean posted a new comment:
> saya juga bukan seorang penggembira, yang suka ikut2an cuma untuk cari
> gensi. (saya lihat di halaman launchpad bapak sendiri belum ada kegiatan
> terjemahan sejak bulan Des 2009.)
>

hm.. you try to attack me? why you do that? i still translating from Des 2009.
http://marya.blankonlinux.or.id/~udienz/Gambar-Layar-11.png

> btw, this is the first message I have received from anyone connected
> with Ubuntu in Indonesia, after more than two years trying.  The mailing
> list looks to be a promising way of connecting, and i shall join up as
> soon as my membership is restored.

Yes, because you not joined us. try to reach us at lists, irc, forum,
block, or whatever yo can do
Ok, this is the way we connect
1. http://groups.google.com/group/id-ubuntu
2. http://www.ubuntu-id.org and not http://ubuntu-indonesia.com/ we
don't know this site
3. Launchpad
4. irc.freenode.net #ubuntu-id or #blankon
5. http://www.facebook.com/ubuntu.indonesia

We have many SubLoco, Metro (Jakarta), Surabaya, Solo, Yogyakarta, and
many more. come to us, try to reach us.
About membership, click this [1] amd send your email to ubuntu-l10n-id lists/

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-id/+join
--

https://launchpad.net/~udienz

"How can i get lost, if i have no where to go"
   -- Metallica from Unforgiven III

Gary Dean (garydean) said : #6

?! hey, mahyuddin, i'm not attacking anyone! just stating the facts. please settle down! :)

http://www.ubuntu-id.org/ has not functioned for years. the "forum" has been dead for 2 years, and the "blog" is filled with irrelvancy and barely disguised advertising.

http://ubuntu-indonesia.com/ was formed last year because there was no other choice! to say that "we" (whoever that might be) "don't know" about the ubuntu-indonesia.com forum defied belief. It's the largest most active ubuntu forum in Indonesia! :)

anyway, i shall re-join the translators group now.

Mahyuddin Susanto (udienz) said : #7

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Gary Dean
<email address hidden> wrote:

> anyway, i shall re-join the translators group now.
Yes you can, please send your email to ubuntu-l10n first first and
explain what do you want

--

https://launchpad.net/~udienz

"How can i get lost, if i have no where to go"
   -- Metallica from Unforgiven III

Gary Dean (garydean) said : #8

Sorry, Mahyuddin, I'm not quite with you here. What precisely do I have to explain? I've already "rejoined"? I do not have access to the mailing list until I have been reinstated as a member of that group.

Mahyuddin Susanto (udienz) said : #9

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Gary Dean
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Question #137492 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/137492
>
> Gary Dean posted a new comment:
> Sorry, Mahyuddin, I'm not quite with you here. What precisely do I have
> to explain?  I've already "rejoined"?  I do not have access to the
> mailing list until I have been reinstated as a member of that group.

hm.. Following ubuntu-l10n-id rules (RTFM)
"Selamat mampir di Tim Penterjemah Ubuntu Indonesia, dan bagi Anda
yang ingin bergabung disini silakan kirimkan email ke
<email address hidden> dan sertakan rencana yang ingin
Anda lakukan di Tim Penterjemah Ubuntu Indonesia. Semua Calon anggota
HARUS mengirimkan email ke alamat diatas, atau permohonan anda akan
DITOLAK"

Please send your email, you don't need to be a members to send an
email. Launchpad lists is different thand Google Groups or Yahoo
groups

--

https://launchpad.net/~udienz

"How can i get lost, if i have no where to go"
   -- Metallica from Unforgiven III

David Planella (dpm) said : #10

El dl 13 de 12 de 2010 a les 10:12 +0000, en/na Mahyuddin Susanto va
escriure:
> Question #137492 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/137492
>
> Mahyuddin Susanto proposed the following answer:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Gary Dean
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> > Question #137492 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/137492
> >
> > Gary Dean posted a new comment:
> > Sorry, Mahyuddin, I'm not quite with you here. What precisely do I have
> > to explain? I've already "rejoined"? I do not have access to the
> > mailing list until I have been reinstated as a member of that group.
>
> hm.. Following ubuntu-l10n-id rules (RTFM)

Mahyuddin, especially being someone in a leadership position as you and
who has signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct, I'd like to ask you to try
not no use expressions such as RTFM and be more respectful with other
community members.

These can be offending to other people and certainly do not encourage
them to contribute.

I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but please try to take that in
mind. You might also find the Leadership Code of Conduct interesting to
read: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/leadership-conduct

Thanks!

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Mahyuddin Susanto (udienz) said : #11

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:21 PM, David Planella
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Mahyuddin, especially being someone in a leadership position as you and
> who has signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct, I'd like to ask you to try
> not no use expressions such as RTFM and be more respectful with other
> community members.

Sorry David. Case Closed, i think problem is solved

--

https://launchpad.net/~udienz

"How can i get lost, if i have no where to go"
   -- Metallica from Unforgiven III

David Planella (dpm) said : #12

El dl 13 de 12 de 2010 a les 15:48 +0000, en/na Mahyuddin Susanto va
escriure:
> Question #137492 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/137492
>
> Mahyuddin Susanto proposed the following answer:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:21 PM, David Planella
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> > Mahyuddin, especially being someone in a leadership position as you and
> > who has signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct, I'd like to ask you to try
> > not no use expressions such as RTFM and be more respectful with other
> > community members.
>
> Sorry David. Case Closed, i think problem is solved
>

Great, thanks!
--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Gary Dean (garydean) said : #13

i wish this "case" was closed, but alas, it is not.

i sent a subscribe message to ubuntu-l10n and have still not been allowed back into this group.

i received a message from Mahyuddin as a response to my subscribe message, asking to know my "Master Plan". i now presume that revealing my "Master Plan" is a precondition for re-entry to the Indonesian translators group.

i really don't have time to make a Master Plan. much less figure out what that means.

:sigh:

David Planella (dpm) said : #14

El dt 14 de 12 de 2010 a les 12:19 +0000, en/na Gary Dean va escriure:
> Question #137492 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/137492
>
> Gary Dean posted a new comment:
> i wish this "case" was closed, but alas, it is not.
>
> i sent a subscribe message to ubuntu-l10n and have still not been
> allowed back into this group.
>
> i received a message from Mahyuddin as a response to my subscribe
> message, asking to know my "Master Plan". i now presume that revealing
> my "Master Plan" is a precondition for re-entry to the Indonesian
> translators group.
>
> i really don't have time to make a Master Plan. much less figure out
> what that means.
>
> :sigh:
>

Mahyuddin,

Have you had the chance to reply to Gary regarding his question?. It
seems to me that there is just a disconnect. Could you perhaps elaborate
to him what you mean by the "master plan" he's mentioning?

If you guys use IRC, we can also have a quick chat on the
#ubuntu-translators IRC channel on Freenode. I'm always there at CET
working hours.

Thanks!

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Mahyuddin Susanto (udienz) said : #15

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM, David Planella
<email address hidden> wrote:

> Mahyuddin,
>
> Have you had the chance to reply to Gary regarding his question?. It
> seems to me that there is just a disconnect. Could you perhaps elaborate
> to him what you mean by the "master plan" he's mentioning?
>
> If you guys use IRC, we can also have a quick chat on the
> #ubuntu-translators IRC channel on Freenode. I'm always there at CET
> working hours.
>

Hello David, i'm stay at #ubuntu-translator now

I have already sending Gary about this [1] (in indonesian language),
maybe he is very busy so he can reply this message at this time.
In ubuntu-l10n-id tradition (old admin tells me about it), we must
send email first to explain their purpose.

@Gary
if you are not busy please send email yo lists, so i can approve you
as soon as posssible. read list archive for example

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-l10n-id/msg00014.html

--
Mahyuddin Susanto

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Gary Dean for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.