Upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 - Up Arrow is giving screenshot

Asked by petra on 2008-11-12

After we upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 on our System 76 laptop, each time we want to use the up arrow - it opens the screen shot box instead, any ideas?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
System76 Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2008-11-12
Last reply:
2008-11-12

1. Are you using the standard U.S. keyboard layout? (System > Preferences > Keyboard > Layout). If not, this could be the problem.

2. If you are using the standard U.S. keyboard layout, try going to System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, scoll down to "Take a Screenshot of Window", click on the right column of the screenshot row. Then click the "PrtSc" key in the upper right corner of your keyboard. This should re-assign the screenshot hot key and free up your arrow key.

petra (petra-racinesystems) said : #2

Hi Thomas,
I've attached 2 screen shots (might as well) - so you have an idea what
I'm seeing. I'm not quiet sure what I need to do - I did click on PrtSc
- but maybe not in the right moment, the up arrow key is still giving me
screen shots.
Petra :-)

Thomas Aaron wrote:
> Your question #51151 on System76 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/system76/+question/51151
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Thomas Aaron requested for more information:
> 1. Are you using the standard U.S. keyboard layout? (System >
> Preferences > Keyboard > Layout). If not, this could be the problem.
>
> 2. If you are using the standard U.S. keyboard layout, try going to
> System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, scoll down to "Take a
> Screenshot of Window", click on the right column of the screenshot row.
> Then click the "PrtSc" key in the upper right corner of your keyboard.
> This should re-assign the screenshot hot key and free up your arrow key.
>
>

Please repeat my instructions for assigning shortcut keys, except, instead of hitting PrtSc, hit your backspace key.
This should disable any Hotkey functionality for the Screenshot program.

Also, please let me know what you found out about the keyboard layout.

petra (petra-racinesystems) said : #4

Hi Thomas,
I tried the Backspace button and "Take screenshot of a window' is now
listed as 'Disabled' - but that didn't solve the problem unfortunately -
still gives me the screen shot window while using the up arrow.

My Keyboard info is:
USA
Keyboard Model is: Generic 105-key(Intl) PC

Hope this helps - do you think I should select a different keyboard choice?

Thanx for your help!
Petra :-)

Thomas Aaron wrote:
> Your question #51151 on System76 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/system76/+question/51151
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Thomas Aaron requested for more information:
> Please repeat my instructions for assigning shortcut keys, except, instead of hitting PrtSc, hit your backspace key.
> This should disable any Hotkey functionality for the Screenshot program.
>
> Also, please let me know what you found out about the keyboard layout.
>
>

Thanks, Petra.

This is pretty weird. That keyboard option is correct.

Please do the following:

1. Is there a particular application open when this happens? Or does it do it with any or no applications open?

2. Did you ever install xbindkeys, or any other keybinding software in order to assign commands to function keys (or any other keys)? If so, this program might be conflicting with the global keybindings of the system.

3. If *not*, let's look deeper into the global system configurations.
From a terminal, enter this command...

gconf-editor

In the resulting window, (in the left column) go to Apps > Metacity > global_Keybinding

Then, in the right column, scroll down until you find these two entries...

run_command_screenshot
and
run_command_screenshot_window

Make sure both of them are set to "disabled".

4. Please email me the screenshots you attached. I can't open them. (support[at]system76[dot]com)

petra (petra-racinesystems) said : #6

Hi Thomas,
Success! After I manually typed 'disabled' in run_command_screenshot
and run_command_screenshot_window I don't have the screen shot box
opening up any longer when pressing the arrow up key! Can I test my
arrow up key now? Is it still working, just wondering...
Thanx sooo much!
Petra :-)

Thomas Aaron wrote:
> Your question #51151 on System76 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/system76/+question/51151
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Thomas Aaron requested for more information:
> Thanks, Petra.
>
> This is pretty weird. That keyboard option is correct.
>
> Please do the following:
>
> 1. Is there a particular application open when this happens? Or does it
> do it with any or no applications open?
>
> 2. Did you ever install xbindkeys, or any other keybinding software in
> order to assign commands to function keys (or any other keys)? If so,
> this program might be conflicting with the global keybindings of the
> system.
>
> 3. If *not*, let's look deeper into the global system configurations.
> >From a terminal, enter this command...
>
> gconf-editor
>
> In the resulting window, (in the left column) go to Apps > Metacity >
> global_Keybinding
>
> Then, in the right column, scroll down until you find these two
> entries...
>
> run_command_screenshot
> and
> run_command_screenshot_window
>
> Make sure both of them are set to "disabled".
>
> 4. Please email me the screenshots you attached. I can't open them.
> (support[at]system76[dot]com)
>
>

It should be working fine.

Best,
Tom

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask petra for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.