Barcode reader

Asked by Simon on 2014-11-23

Would it be possible to incorporate a barcode reader/scanner feature so students can register their attendance from an ID card?
Thanks

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
SchoolTool Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2014-11-27
Last reply:
2014-11-27
Tom Hoffman (tom-hoffman) said : #1

Basically we just need to add a form that accepts the id of the student being scanned. Usually those devices just mimic keyboards. If not, it could be more complicated. We did this as a paid customization, but it hasn't been added to the SchoolTool distribution.

Simon (jai-2) said : #2

Hi Tom,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it is a device that mimics a keyboard
(https://www.rfideas.com/products/readers/pcprox-plus)
Seeing as though you have done it as a paid customization before, what
would it cost for me?
Is it possible to do student check-in and also check-out as we need to
keep track of who is still on the school premises?
Thank you.
Simon

> Tom Hoffman <mailto:<email address hidden>>
> November 25, 2014 at 7:26 AM
> Your question #258104 on SchoolTool changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/schooltool/+question/258104
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Tom Hoffman proposed the following answer:
> Basically we just need to add a form that accepts the id of the student
> being scanned. Usually those devices just mimic keyboards. If not, it
> could be more complicated. We did this as a paid customization, but it
> hasn't been added to the SchoolTool distribution.
>

Tom Hoffman (tom-hoffman) said : #3

The cost would not so much be bound up in creating a view to read the scan as trying to model check in and out throughout the day, which isn't reflected in SchoolTool's attendance module, which is based around section meetings (you are present, absent tardy per meeting or for the day if you're absent in a homeroom period). It doesn't track comings and goings explicitly, so doing all that would be involved, and if you needed it to interact with the period based attendance, could be quite complicated.

Simon (jai-2) said : #4

To keep things simple, could we have students scan for each individual
class (so multiple attendance lists throughout the day)?

I have been trying to find out how to install School Tool on my personal
desktop (with Ubuntu 14.04 installed) but cannot find how to do the
following from the School Tool website -
"SchoolTool is a full stack web application. That is, it comes with its
own web server and database. To make sure all the necessary components
are installed correctly, we distribute SchoolTool to users as packages,
through Ubuntu Linux. This gives users a simple “app store” one-click
installation experience."
Can you help?
Thanks

> Tom Hoffman <mailto:<email address hidden>>
> November 27, 2014 at 4:56 AM
> Your question #258104 on SchoolTool changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/schooltool/+question/258104
>
> Tom Hoffman posted a new comment:
> The cost would not so much be bound up in creating a view to read the
> scan as trying to model check in and out throughout the day, which isn't
> reflected in SchoolTool's attendance module, which is based around
> section meetings (you are present, absent tardy per meeting or for the
> day if you're absent in a homeroom period). It doesn't track comings
> and goings explicitly, so doing all that would be involved, and if you
> needed it to interact with the period based attendance, could be quite
> complicated.
>
> Simon Clements <mailto:<email address hidden>>
> November 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM
> Hi Tom,
> Thank you for your reply.
> Yes, it is a device that mimics a keyboard
> (https://www.rfideas.com/products/readers/pcprox-plus)
> Seeing as though you have done it as a paid customization before, what
> would it cost for me?
> Is it possible to do student check-in and also check-out as we need to
> keep track of who is still on the school premises?
> Thank you.
> Simon
>

Tom Hoffman (tom-hoffman) said : #5

http://book.schooltool.org/install-2_0.html

I will work up an estimate for you with my partner on Monday (it is a holiday here).


Sent from Mailbox

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Simon
<email address hidden> wrote:

> Question #258104 on SchoolTool changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/schooltool/+question/258104
> Simon gave more information on the question:
> To keep things simple, could we have students scan for each individual
> class (so multiple attendance lists throughout the day)?
> I have been trying to find out how to install School Tool on my personal
> desktop (with Ubuntu 14.04 installed) but cannot find how to do the
> following from the School Tool website -
> "SchoolTool is a full stack web application. That is, it comes with its
> own web server and database. To make sure all the necessary components
> are installed correctly, we distribute SchoolTool to users as packages,
> through Ubuntu Linux. This gives users a simple “app store” one-click
> installation experience."
> Can you help?
> Thanks
>> Tom Hoffman <mailto:<email address hidden>>
>> November 27, 2014 at 4:56 AM
>> Your question #258104 on SchoolTool changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/schooltool/+question/258104
>>
>> Tom Hoffman posted a new comment:
>> The cost would not so much be bound up in creating a view to read the
>> scan as trying to model check in and out throughout the day, which isn't
>> reflected in SchoolTool's attendance module, which is based around
>> section meetings (you are present, absent tardy per meeting or for the
>> day if you're absent in a homeroom period). It doesn't track comings
>> and goings explicitly, so doing all that would be involved, and if you
>> needed it to interact with the period based attendance, could be quite
>> complicated.
>>
>> Simon Clements <mailto:<email address hidden>>
>> November 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM
>> Hi Tom,
>> Thank you for your reply.
>> Yes, it is a device that mimics a keyboard
>> (https://www.rfideas.com/products/readers/pcprox-plus)
>> Seeing as though you have done it as a paid customization before, what
>> would it cost for me?
>> Is it possible to do student check-in and also check-out as we need to
>> keep track of who is still on the school premises?
>> Thank you.
>> Simon
>>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for SchoolTool.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Simon for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.