install seems ok but Openshot doesn't run

Asked by sampras on 2009-10-13

Hello,
I have a problem, i have installed openshot from the PPA and from the .deb packages both have the same outcome. below is a copy of the log
dub@Cat:~$ openshot
Added /usr/share/openshot to system path
--------------------------------
   OpenShot (version 0.9.43)
--------------------------------
/usr/share/openshot/windows/SimpleGladeApp.py:340: GtkWarning: gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed
  return gtk.glade.XML(self.glade_path, root, domain)
A new frmMain has been created
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/openshot", line 50, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/share/openshot/openshot.py", line 57, in main
    form1 = MainGTK.frmMain(project=current_project, version=info.SETUP['version'])
  File "/usr/share/openshot/windows/MainGTK.py", line 137, in __init__
    self.OSTreeTransitions = TreeTransitions.OpenShotTree(self.treeTransitions, self.project)
  File "/usr/share/openshot/windows/TreeTransitions.py", line 51, in __init__
    pbThumb = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file(file_path)
glib.GError: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/openshot/transitions/sand.svg'

I tried to send this yesterday but today could find no trace of it so apologise if this is a duplicate.
I'm running Kubuntu 9.04, Dell xps1640, dual core 2 64bit processors.
Any help would warmly received.
Thanks in advance

Paul

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
OpenShot Video Editor Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2009-10-20
Last reply:
2011-12-18
Jonathan Thomas (jonoomph) said : #1

Please see the linked bug report for more info on this error. The quick answer is I think you are missing an svg package for kubuntu: librsvg2-common.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/417416

sampras (petersampras) said : #2

Hi,

Excellent that's got it working!
should i open another question?
I now have imported some clips but have no sound, I have tried the format of my JVC camcorder .mod,also added am mp3 file and .avi file, but no joy. Sound works through Amarok etc.
Have i missed another dep.
kubuntu 64bit uname -a = Linux Cat 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:58:03 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
dell dual core 2
intel HDA sound.

Thanks,
Paul

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #85733]: install seems ok but Openshot doesn't run
> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:29:23 +0000
>
> Your question #85733 on OpenShot Video Editor changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Jonathan Thomas proposed the following answer:
> Please see the linked bug report for more info on this error. The quick
> answer is I think you are missing an svg package for kubuntu:
> librsvg2-common.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/417416
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
Download Messenger onto your mobile for free
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/174426567/direct/01/

Jonathan Thomas (jonoomph) said : #3

Yeah, I would look through our existing bugs, and see if you see one about
no sound. Seems like I remember that one.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 5:12 AM, sampras <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Question #85733 on OpenShot Video Editor changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> sampras is still having a problem:
>
> Hi,
>
> Excellent that's got it working!
> should i open another question?
> I now have imported some clips but have no sound, I have tried the format
> of my JVC camcorder .mod,also added am mp3 file and .avi file, but no joy.
> Sound works through Amarok etc.
> Have i missed another dep.
> kubuntu 64bit uname -a = Linux Cat 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr
> 17 01:58:03 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> dell dual core 2
> intel HDA sound.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> > To: <email address hidden>
> > From: <email address hidden>
> > Subject: Re: [Question #85733]: install seems ok but Openshot doesn't run
> > Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:29:23 +0000
> >
> > Your question #85733 on OpenShot Video Editor changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
> >
> > Status: Open => Answered
> >
> > Jonathan Thomas proposed the following answer:
> > Please see the linked bug report for more info on this error. The quick
> > answer is I think you are missing an svg package for kubuntu:
> > librsvg2-common.
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/417416
> >
> > --
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > know that it is solved:
> >
> https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733/+confirm?answer_id=0
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
> >
> > You received this question notification because you are a direct
> > subscriber of the question.
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Download Messenger onto your mobile for free
> http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/174426567/direct/01/
>
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for OpenShot Video Editor.
>

sampras (petersampras) said : #4

Hi,

OK, is there anything i can do to help fix this bug? I have found one bug which suggests it's inconsistent, ie sometime working sometime not, my problem is constant, i never have sound.

I really like the look of your application and would love to get it working.

Regards,
Paul
> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #85733]: install seems ok but Openshot doesn't run
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 04:42:10 +0000
>
> Your question #85733 on OpenShot Video Editor changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Jonathan Thomas proposed the following answer:
> Yeah, I would look through our existing bugs, and see if you see one about
> no sound. Seems like I remember that one.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jonathan
>
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 5:12 AM, sampras <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
> > Question #85733 on OpenShot Video Editor changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
> >
> > Status: Answered => Open
> >
> > sampras is still having a problem:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Excellent that's got it working!
> > should i open another question?
> > I now have imported some clips but have no sound, I have tried the format
> > of my JVC camcorder .mod,also added am mp3 file and .avi file, but no joy.
> > Sound works through Amarok etc.
> > Have i missed another dep.
> > kubuntu 64bit uname -a = Linux Cat 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr
> > 17 01:58:03 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> > dell dual core 2
> > intel HDA sound.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paul
> >
> > > To: <email address hidden>
> > > From: <email address hidden>
> > > Subject: Re: [Question #85733]: install seems ok but Openshot doesn't run
> > > Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:29:23 +0000
> > >
> > > Your question #85733 on OpenShot Video Editor changed:
> > > https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
> > >
> > > Status: Open => Answered
> > >
> > > Jonathan Thomas proposed the following answer:
> > > Please see the linked bug report for more info on this error. The quick
> > > answer is I think you are missing an svg package for kubuntu:
> > > librsvg2-common.
> > >
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/417416
> > >
> > > --
> > > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > > know that it is solved:
> > >
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733/+confirm?answer_id=0
> > >
> > > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > > following page to enter your feedback:
> > > https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
> > >
> > > You received this question notification because you are a direct
> > > subscriber of the question.
> >
> > _________________________________________________________________
> > Download Messenger onto your mobile for free
> > http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/174426567/direct/01/
> >
> > You received this question notification because you are an answer
> > contact for OpenShot Video Editor.
> >
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+question/85733
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
Use Windows Live Messenger for free on selected mobiles
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/174426567/direct/01/

Jonathan Thomas (jonoomph) said : #5

Sorry Paul, I'm not sure I have any more tricks. I haven't personally tested OpenShot on Kubuntu, so it's very possible some ALSA or SDL package in not installed. If I was you, I would check your system logs and see if any sound-related errors are being logged.

Also, I would try and play video files with the command line "melt" and "ffplay" commands. If those work with sound, OpenShot should work.

$ melt 'file_path'

$ ffplay 'file_path'

Good luck!
-Jonathan

Jens Dodenhoff (oeversetten) said : #6

Hello,
i try to run openshot on tinycore and i have got almost the same problem,
but the error occurs on opening the preferences window and it complains about openshot.svg.

I looked what is inside that librsvg2-common package and installed the tinycore package with the equivalent content ( doc files neglected ),
but it did not get better. is there a chance that it is not missing the libsvg library from gtk but the port for python?

Besides that it does not start with lang set anzthing else than C.
thanks in advance
Jens

Jens Dodenhoff (oeversetten) said : #7

sorry, forgot to mention i tried above with openshot 1.4.0, python 2.7.2

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask sampras for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.