waiting for metadata service at http://169.254.169.254/2009-04-04/meta-data/instance-id
I'm running an instance but I can't ssh or ping it. When I do a euca-get-
[ 0.728227] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
[ 0.729514] VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly on device 252:0.
[ 0.731228] devtmpfs: mounted
[ 0.731878] Freeing unused kernel memory: 800k freed
[ 0.733335] Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 7808k
init: plymouth-splash main process (261) terminated with status 2
init: plymouth main process (48) killed by SEGV signal
cloud-init running: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 00:13:30 +0000. up 2.53 seconds
waiting for metadata service at http:\/
00:13:32 [ 1\/100]: url error [timed out]
00:13:35 [ 2\/100]: url error [timed out]
...repeats 100 times...
1. The instance I'm running is based on the Ubuntu 10.04 server image from http://
2. I've added the metadata service IP address to iptables on the CC with,
sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 169.254.169.254/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 18.104.22.168:8773
3. Output from iptables-save looks like,
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [413:56592]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [278:17152]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [297:19583]
-A PREROUTING -d 169.254.169.254/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 22.214.171.124:8773
4. If I try to ping the metadata service from the CC I get,
user@ubuntu:~$ ping 169.254.169.254
PING 169.254.169.254 (169.254.169.254) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 126.96.36.199 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 188.8.131.52 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
I don't know where the 184.108.40.206 is coming from.
5. I tried running an instance based on the Ubuntu 10.10 server image from http://
6. I'm running nova on Ubuntu 10.10
Any thoughts as to why the metadata service is inaccessible?