How to get current midori .deb running in Debian 8.1 stable "Jessie" with JS and Flash?

Asked by shevek on 2015-08-03

I have installed the current i386 .deb-file of Midori (0.5.9-1) on my Debian Jessie install running with xorg and openbox. However, while the browser itself is working fine, I can't seem to get either Flash or Javascript(!) to run.

I did install flashplugin-nonfree and all unmet dependencies first (libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 and libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 in my case) before installing midori and I set and exported MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" before running the browser as advised in the FAQ. (And yes, the plugin directory exists and contains a flash-mozilla.so link to /etc/alternatives/flash-mozilla.so which in turn links to the actual plugin at /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so)

As far as I understand JS should just work out of the box with the dependencies installed and so should flash with the MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH variable set.

Has anyone else installed the midori .deb-file on Debian Jessie and successfully got JS and Flash to work?
I'd be glad for any advice on what to do or try...

Cheers,
shevek

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Midori Web Browser Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
shevek
Solved:
2015-08-03
Last query:
2015-08-03
Last reply:
shevek (shevek-t) said : #1

Ok, that's strange: On another machine with a debian jessie standard installation including gnome desktop the same install procedure described above leads to a midori that works with JS and Flash just like that! So what's the difference to my other system that I created as a pure console install first and then later added xorg and openbox I wonder? After all, there are no unmet dependencies left on either system...

shevek (shevek-t) said : #2

One last info which could be of interest: On the xorg/openbox system, iceweasel does work with Flash...

shevek (shevek-t) said : #3

Somehow, after purging midori and the dependencies, then manually deleting ~/.config/midori, restarting (propably unnecessary) and installing everything again, this time including the -dbg packages of both dependencies (propably also unnecessary), things now work as expected.

I can not be sure what went wrong during the first time. I'm assuming it may have been because I had activated the NoJS extension right after starting midori for the first time, and that for some reason, although I deactivated it again a short time later, the settings did remain active.

If I find some more time I may check up on this again in a few days and if I can narrow down the actual cause, I will report on that. For now I'm closing this question, since the problem has vanished, even though it remains unclear what actually happened.

Sorry for bothering you with my impatience...