Madspin decay in H->ZZ->4l process with HC_NLO_X0_UFO

Asked by Yang Tianyi

Dear experts,

I am trying to use the HC_NLO_X0_UFO model to generate events for the H->ZZ*->4l processes. My running was taking the version of 21.6.57,AthGeneration setup on the lxplus machine. I was using the following commands in the MadSpin card to decay the events:

    set max_weight_ps_point 400
    set seed %i
    set spinmode none
    decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
    launch

Then I met the error like the following for the process:

    generate 19:52:23 INFO: generate 10000 decay event for particle x0
    generate 19:52:49 INFO: Will use seed 739076783
    generate 21:06:25 CRITICAL: The number of event generated is only 22/12000. This typically indicates that you need specify cut on the decay process.
    generate 21:06:25 CRITICAL: We strongly suggest that you cancel/discard this run.
    generate 21:06:25 CRITICAL: Branching ratio larger than one for 25
    generate 21:06:26 INFO: generate 10477 decay event for particle x0
    generate 22:07:35 CRITICAL: The number of event generated is only 7/12572. This typically indicates that you need specify cut on the decay process.
    generate 22:07:35 CRITICAL: We strongly suggest that you cancel/discard this run.
    generate 22:07:35 INFO: generate 10470 decay event for particle x0

Questioning if the error related to the decay width of higgs, in my job options, I have modified the decay width of Higgs through

    'DECAY': {
        '25': '4.995000e-03',
    }

for the parameter card and my run card takes the following setup:

    {
        'event_norm': 'sum',
        'lhaid': 247000,
        'pdlabel': "'lhapdf'",
        'parton_shower': 'PYTHIA8',
        'ptl': 4.0,
        'ptj': 15.0,
        'etaj': -1.0,
        'etal': -1.0,
        'bwcutoff': 15,
    }

I am appreciate it if you would like to point out the cause of the error and any solution to the case.
Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Yang Tianyi
Solved:
Last query:
Last reply:
Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#1

So the issue here is not about MadSpin but simply that we can not generate events for your decay process in a standard run without any cuts. I guess that you do have a singularity due to the diagram x0 > z a vertex which leads to divergencies due to the massless propagator.

Cheers,

Olivier

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said :
#2

Mant thanks for the kind instructions, Olivier.
I am going to try adding the mjj cut to the run cards.

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said :
#3

Hi, Olivier. I tried adding the mjj cut, but still the same error appears. The following is my run card. What kind of cut I still need to specify for the scenario? Many thanks.

#***********************************************************************
# BW cutoff (M+/-bwcutoff*Gamma). Determines which resonances are *
# written in the LHE event file *
#***********************************************************************
15 = bwcutoff
#***********************************************************************
# Cuts on the jets. Jet clustering is performed by FastJet. *
# - When matching to a parton shower, these generation cuts should be *
# considerably softer than the analysis cuts. *
# - More specific cuts can be specified in SubProcesses/cuts.f *
#***********************************************************************
1.0 = jetalgo ! FastJet jet algorithm (1=kT, 0=C/A, -1=anti-kT)
0.7 = jetradius ! The radius parameter for the jet algorithm
15.0 = ptj ! Min jet transverse momentum
-1.0 = etaj ! Max jet abs(pseudo-rap) (a value .lt.0 means no cut)
#***********************************************************************
# Cuts on the charged leptons (e+, e-, mu+, mu-, tau+ and tau-) *
# More specific cuts can be specified in SubProcesses/cuts.f *
#***********************************************************************
4.0 = ptl ! Min lepton transverse momentum
-1.0 = etal ! Max lepton abs(pseudo-rap) (a value .lt.0 means no cut)
0.0 = drll ! Min distance between opposite sign lepton pairs
0.0 = drll_sf ! Min distance between opp. sign same-flavor lepton pairs
500.0 = mll ! Min inv. mass of all opposite sign lepton pairs
30.0 = mll_sf ! Min inv. mass of all opp. sign same-flavor lepton pairs
#***********************************************************************
# Photon-isolation cuts, according to hep-ph/9801442. When ptgmin=0, *
# all the other parameters are ignored. *
# More specific cuts can be specified in SubProcesses/cuts.f *
#***********************************************************************
20.0 = ptgmin ! Min photon transverse momentum
-1.0 = etagamma ! Max photon abs(pseudo-rap)
0.4 = R0gamma ! Radius of isolation code
1.0 = xn ! n parameter of eq.(3.4) in hep-ph/9801442
1.0 = epsgamma ! epsilon_gamma parameter of eq.(3.4) in hep-ph/9801442
True = isoEM ! isolate photons from EM energy (photons and leptons)
#***********************************************************************
# Cuts associated to MASSIVE particles identified by their PDG codes. *
# All cuts are applied to both particles and anti-particles, so use *
# POSITIVE PDG CODES only. Example of the syntax is {6 : 100} or *
# {6:100, 25:200} for multiple particles *
#***********************************************************************
{} = pt_min_pdg ! Min pT for a massive particle
{} = pt_max_pdg ! Max pT for a massive particle
{} = mxx_min_pdg ! inv. mass for any pair of (anti)particles

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#4

Hi,

Is is the run_card of madspin or the run_card of MG5aMC?
Those are different file.

The first thing to check is that if you do in MG5aMC
generate x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
output
launch
and then set such cuts in the run_card you do have the requested number of events.
Then you can add the path to such run_card in the madspin command file.

Cheers,

Olivier

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said :
#5

Dear Olivier,

I am not sure whether I understand it correctly.
The card I posted is the run_card for MG5aMC.

Instead I was doing
     set spinmode none
    decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
    launch
for the madspin card.

For the generation in MG5, I am using the following process card:
    import model HC_NLO_X0_UFO
    define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
    define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
    define v = a z w+ w-
    generate p p > x0 j j $$ w+ w- z / a [QCD]
    output -f

as if I add the x0 decay into the process card, it will create error like
    ERROR InvalidCmd : ML5 cannot yet decay a core process including loop corrections.
as it seems if generate the decay in the MG5, it will call ML5 instead of the MadSpin.

I then also tried to run without setup and production but only
    import model HC_NLO_X0_UFO
    define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
    define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
    define v = a z w+ w-
    generate x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
    output
    launch
and it outputs an run_card with the cut quite different from the production run_card as following:

#*********************************************************************
# BW cutoff (M+/-bwcutoff*Gamma) ! Define on/off-shell for "$" and decay
#*********************************************************************
  15.0 = bwcutoff ! (M+/-bwcutoff*Gamma)
#*********************************************************************
# Standard Cuts *
#*********************************************************************
# Minimum and maximum pt's (for max, -1 means no cut) *
#*********************************************************************
 0.0 = ptl ! minimum pt for the charged leptons
 -1.0 = ptlmax ! maximum pt for the charged leptons
 {} = pt_min_pdg ! pt cut for other particles (use pdg code). Applied on particle and anti-particle
 {} = pt_max_pdg ! pt cut for other particles (syntax e.g. {6: 100, 25: 50})
#
# For display option for energy cut in the partonic center of mass frame type 'update ecut'
#
#*********************************************************************
# Maximum and minimum absolute rapidity (for max, -1 means no cut) *
#*********************************************************************
 -1.0 = etal ! max rap for the charged leptons
 0.0 = etalmin ! main rap for the charged leptons
 {} = eta_min_pdg ! rap cut for other particles (use pdg code). Applied on particle and anti-particle
 {} = eta_max_pdg ! rap cut for other particles (syntax e.g. {6: 2.5, 23: 5})
#*********************************************************************
# Minimum and maximum DeltaR distance *
#*********************************************************************
 0.0 = drll ! min distance between leptons
 -1.0 = drllmax ! max distance between leptons
#*********************************************************************
# Minimum and maximum invariant mass for pairs *
 # WARNING: for four lepton final state mmll cut require to have *
 # different lepton masses for each flavor! *
#*********************************************************************
 0.0 = mmll ! min invariant mass of l+l- (same flavour) lepton pair
 -1.0 = mmllmax ! max invariant mass of l+l- (same flavour) lepton pair
 {} = mxx_min_pdg ! min invariant mass of a pair of particles X/X~ (e.g. {6:250})
 {'default': False} = mxx_only_part_antipart ! if True the invariant mass is applied only
                       ! to pairs of particle/antiparticle and not to pairs of the same pdg codes.
 #*********************************************************************
 # Minimum and maximum invariant mass for all letpons *
 #*********************************************************************
 0.0 = mmnl ! min invariant mass for all letpons (l+- and vl)
 -1.0 = mmnlmax ! max invariant mass for all letpons (l+- and vl)
 #*********************************************************************
 # Minimum and maximum pt for 4-momenta sum of leptons / neutrino *
 # for pair of lepton includes only same flavor, opposite charge
 #*********************************************************************
 0.0 = ptllmin ! Minimum pt for 4-momenta sum of leptons(l and vl)
 -1.0 = ptllmax ! Maximum pt for 4-momenta sum of leptons(l and vl)
#*********************************************************************
# Inclusive cuts *
#*********************************************************************
 0.0 = xptl ! minimum pt for at least one charged lepton
 #*********************************************************************
 # Control the pt's of leptons sorted by pt *
 #*********************************************************************
 0.0 = ptl1min ! minimum pt for the leading lepton in pt
 0.0 = ptl2min ! minimum pt for the second lepton in pt
 0.0 = ptl3min ! minimum pt for the third lepton in pt
 0.0 = ptl4min ! minimum pt for the fourth lepton in pt
 -1.0 = ptl1max ! maximum pt for the leading lepton in pt
 -1.0 = ptl2max ! maximum pt for the second lepton in pt
 -1.0 = ptl3max ! maximum pt for the third lepton in pt
 -1.0 = ptl4max ! maximum pt for the fourth lepton in pt
#*********************************************************************
# maximal pdg code for quark to be considered as a light jet *
# (otherwise b cuts are applied) *
#*********************************************************************
 4 = maxjetflavor ! Maximum jet pdg code
#*********************************************************************
#
#*********************************************************************
# Store info for systematics studies *
# WARNING: Do not use for interference type of computation *
#*********************************************************************
   False = use_syst ! Enable systematics studies
#

Do I use the decay only launch to generate run_card to replace the original production run_card and re-launch the production with decay run_card?

In addition, I have a naive question, what does it mean to add the path of run_card in the madspin command file. Is it to import the run_card into the madspin card?

Many Thanks.

Best Regards,
Yang Tianyi

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#6

If you look at https://cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph/wiki/MadSpin <https://cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph/wiki/MadSpin>
You will see this comment:

set run_card PATH:
Only for mode "none" or "onshell". This defines the cut to apply to the 1>N sample. Those cut will be applied in the frame where the particle is at rest. Transverse cut are meaningless in that card and should be kept to zero.

As said in the comment, such cut are applied in a different frame as the lab frame and therefore you can not use the same run_card as the one used for the production event.

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 9 Aug 2021, at 09:55, Yang Tianyi <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #698122 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/698122
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> Yang Tianyi is still having a problem:
> Dear Olivier,
>
> I am not sure whether I understand it correctly.
> The card I posted is the run_card for MG5aMC.
>
> Instead I was doing
> set spinmode none
> decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
> launch
> for the madspin card.
>
> For the generation in MG5, I am using the following process card:
> import model HC_NLO_X0_UFO
> define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
> define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
> define v = a z w+ w-
> generate p p > x0 j j $$ w+ w- z / a [QCD]
> output -f
>
> as if I add the x0 decay into the process card, it will create error like
> ERROR InvalidCmd : ML5 cannot yet decay a core process including loop corrections.
> as it seems if generate the decay in the MG5, it will call ML5 instead of the MadSpin.
>
> I then also tried to run without setup and production but only
> import model HC_NLO_X0_UFO
> define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
> define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
> define v = a z w+ w-
> generate x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
> output
> launch
> and it outputs an run_card with the cut quite different from the production run_card as following:
>
> #*********************************************************************
> # BW cutoff (M+/-bwcutoff*Gamma) ! Define on/off-shell for "$" and decay
> #*********************************************************************
> 15.0 = bwcutoff ! (M+/-bwcutoff*Gamma)
> #*********************************************************************
> # Standard Cuts *
> #*********************************************************************
> # Minimum and maximum pt's (for max, -1 means no cut) *
> #*********************************************************************
> 0.0 = ptl ! minimum pt for the charged leptons
> -1.0 = ptlmax ! maximum pt for the charged leptons
> {} = pt_min_pdg ! pt cut for other particles (use pdg code). Applied on particle and anti-particle
> {} = pt_max_pdg ! pt cut for other particles (syntax e.g. {6: 100, 25: 50})
> #
> # For display option for energy cut in the partonic center of mass frame type 'update ecut'
> #
> #*********************************************************************
> # Maximum and minimum absolute rapidity (for max, -1 means no cut) *
> #*********************************************************************
> -1.0 = etal ! max rap for the charged leptons
> 0.0 = etalmin ! main rap for the charged leptons
> {} = eta_min_pdg ! rap cut for other particles (use pdg code). Applied on particle and anti-particle
> {} = eta_max_pdg ! rap cut for other particles (syntax e.g. {6: 2.5, 23: 5})
> #*********************************************************************
> # Minimum and maximum DeltaR distance *
> #*********************************************************************
> 0.0 = drll ! min distance between leptons
> -1.0 = drllmax ! max distance between leptons
> #*********************************************************************
> # Minimum and maximum invariant mass for pairs *
> # WARNING: for four lepton final state mmll cut require to have *
> # different lepton masses for each flavor! *
> #*********************************************************************
> 0.0 = mmll ! min invariant mass of l+l- (same flavour) lepton pair
> -1.0 = mmllmax ! max invariant mass of l+l- (same flavour) lepton pair
> {} = mxx_min_pdg ! min invariant mass of a pair of particles X/X~ (e.g. {6:250})
> {'default': False} = mxx_only_part_antipart ! if True the invariant mass is applied only
> ! to pairs of particle/antiparticle and not to pairs of the same pdg codes.
> #*********************************************************************
> # Minimum and maximum invariant mass for all letpons *
> #*********************************************************************
> 0.0 = mmnl ! min invariant mass for all letpons (l+- and vl)
> -1.0 = mmnlmax ! max invariant mass for all letpons (l+- and vl)
> #*********************************************************************
> # Minimum and maximum pt for 4-momenta sum of leptons / neutrino *
> # for pair of lepton includes only same flavor, opposite charge
> #*********************************************************************
> 0.0 = ptllmin ! Minimum pt for 4-momenta sum of leptons(l and vl)
> -1.0 = ptllmax ! Maximum pt for 4-momenta sum of leptons(l and vl)
> #*********************************************************************
> # Inclusive cuts *
> #*********************************************************************
> 0.0 = xptl ! minimum pt for at least one charged lepton
> #*********************************************************************
> # Control the pt's of leptons sorted by pt *
> #*********************************************************************
> 0.0 = ptl1min ! minimum pt for the leading lepton in pt
> 0.0 = ptl2min ! minimum pt for the second lepton in pt
> 0.0 = ptl3min ! minimum pt for the third lepton in pt
> 0.0 = ptl4min ! minimum pt for the fourth lepton in pt
> -1.0 = ptl1max ! maximum pt for the leading lepton in pt
> -1.0 = ptl2max ! maximum pt for the second lepton in pt
> -1.0 = ptl3max ! maximum pt for the third lepton in pt
> -1.0 = ptl4max ! maximum pt for the fourth lepton in pt
> #*********************************************************************
> # maximal pdg code for quark to be considered as a light jet *
> # (otherwise b cuts are applied) *
> #*********************************************************************
> 4 = maxjetflavor ! Maximum jet pdg code
> #*********************************************************************
> #
> #*********************************************************************
> # Store info for systematics studies *
> # WARNING: Do not use for interference type of computation *
> #*********************************************************************
> False = use_syst ! Enable systematics studies
> #
>
> Do I use the decay only launch to generate run_card to replace the
> original production run_card and re-launch the production with decay
> run_card?
>
> In addition, I have a naive question, what does it mean to add the path
> of run_card in the madspin command file. Is it to import the run_card
> into the madspin card?
>
> Many Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
> Yang Tianyi
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said :
#7

Hi,

Many thanks for the instructions.

I tried to add the

set run_card <path of the production run_card>

to my madspin card and inside only mannually tuned the value mmjj for setting the cut before run.

However, with this added on, I received the following error:

generate 11:38:10 set run_card /eos/user/t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_run_card_into_MS/PROC_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Cards/run_card.dat
generate 11:38:10 quit
generate 11:38:10 INFO:
generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils INFO Some errors detected by MadGraphControl - checking for serious errors
generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils INFO stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils INFO stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR Command "launch --name=run_01" interrupted with error:
generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR InvalidCmd : edition of the run_card is not allowed within normal mode
generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR Please report this bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR More information is found in '/eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/MadGraph_r21/mc16_13TeV.910000.MadGraphPy8EG_A14NNPDF23LO_VBFH125p09_HC_sm_test_prod_runCard.EVNT/PROCNLO_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/run_01_tag_1_debug.log'.
generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR Please attach this file to your report.

This run card is generated outside the running and joboption by a standalone run in the mg5_aMC for the command
generate x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
I am wondering what does "edition of the run_card is not allowed within normal mode" means here. Is there something wrong to load the non-related run_card in the MadSpin?

Many thanks.

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#8
Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#9
Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#10
Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#11

Did you remove the line "set spinmode none" from your madspin_card?
The option of setting the run_card is only valid with that mode.
If you did, did you have first the line "set spinmode none" before the line
"set rrun_card"? if you do this might be the reason for the crash.

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 11 Aug 2021, at 12:00, Yang Tianyi <<email address hidden> <mailto:<email address hidden>>> wrote:
>
> Question #698122 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/698122 <https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/698122>
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> Yang Tianyi is still having a problem:
> Hi,
>
> Many thanks for the instructions.
>
> I tried to add the
>
> set run_card <path of the production run_card>
>
> to my madspin card and inside only mannually tuned the value mmjj for
> setting the cut before run.
>
> However, with this added on, I received the following error:
>
> generate 11:38:10 set run_card /eos/user/t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_run_card_into_MS/PROC_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Cards/run_card.dat
> generate 11:38:10 quit
> generate 11:38:10 INFO:
> generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils INFO Some errors detected by MadGraphControl - checking for serious errors
> generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils INFO stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils INFO stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR Command "launch --name=run_01" interrupted with error:
> generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR InvalidCmd : edition of the run_card is not allowed within normal mode
> generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR Please report this bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo>
> generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR More information is found in '/eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/MadGraph_r21/mc16_13TeV.910000.MadGraphPy8EG_A14NNPDF23LO_VBFH125p09_HC_sm_test_prod_runCard.EVNT/PROCNLO_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/run_01_tag_1_debug.log'.
> generate 11:38:11 Py:MadGraphUtils ERROR Please attach this file to your report.
>
> This run card is generated outside the running and joboption by a standalone run in the mg5_aMC for the command
> generate x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
> I am wondering what does "edition of the run_card is not allowed within normal mode" means here. Is there something wrong to load the non-related run_card in the MadSpin?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
> Tianyi
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said :
#12

Hi,

Many thanks for the instructions, Olivier.

I have checked that I was putting the set spinmodel none after the set run_card causing the issue. When I reverse the order, that part got cleared.

The running resulted the error for the cross-section then:

generate 10:31:32 set fastjet to /cvmfs/atlas.cern.ch/repo/sw/software/21.6/sw/lcg/releases/LCG_88b/fastjet/3.2.0/x86_64-centos7-gcc62-opt/bin/fastjet-config
generate 10:31:33 set lhapdf to /cvmfs/atlas.cern.ch/repo/sw/software/21.6/sw/lcg/releases/MCGenerators/lhapdf/6.2.3-0ff65/x86_64-centos7-gcc62-opt/bin/lhapdf-config
generate 10:31:33 set max_weight_ps_point 400 # number of PS to estimate the maximum for each event
generate 10:31:33 set seed 1910000
generate 10:31:33 set spinmode none
generate 10:31:33 set run_card /eos/user/t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_run_card_into_MS/PROC_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Cards/run_card.dat
generate 10:31:33 decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
generate 10:31:33 launch
generate 10:31:34 INFO: generate 10000 decay event for particle x0
generate 10:32:07 INFO: Will use seed 739076783
generate 10:33:15 Survey return zero cross section.
generate 10:33:15 Typical reasons are the following:
generate 10:33:15 1) A massive s-channel particle has a width set to zero.
generate 10:33:15 2) The pdf are zero for at least one of the initial state particles
generate 10:33:15 or you are using maxjetflavor=4 for initial state b:s.
generate 10:33:15 3) The cuts are too strong.
generate 10:33:15 Please check/correct your param_card and/or your run_card.
generate 10:33:16 quit

I would like to check if the madspin will automatically use the param_card since I did not see such option like "set param_card". If the param_card is shared with the MadGraph, I should have all the width of massive propagators properly as following:

###################################
## INFORMATION FOR MASS
###################################
Block MASS
   5 4.180000e+00 # MB
   6 1.732000e+02 # MT
   15 1.777000e+00 # MTA
   23 9.118760e+01 # MZ
   25 1.250000e+02 # MX0
## Dependent parameters, given by model restrictions.
## Those values should be edited following the
## analytical expression. MG5 ignores those values
## but they are important for interfacing the output of MG5
## to external program such as Pythia.
  1 0.000000 # d : 0.0
  2 0.000000 # u : 0.0
  3 0.000000 # s : 0.0
  4 0.000000 # c : 0.0
  11 0.000000 # e- : 0.0
  12 0.000000 # ve : 0.0
  13 0.000000 # mu- : 0.0
  14 0.000000 # vm : 0.0
  16 0.000000 # vt : 0.0
  21 0.000000 # g : 0.0
  22 0.000000 # a : 0.0
   24 8.0379e+01 # w+ : cmath.sqrt(MZ__exp__2/2. + cmath.sqrt(MZ__exp__4/4. - (aEW*cmath.pi*MZ__exp__2)/(Gf*sqrt__2)))
  82 0.000000 # gh : 0.0

###################################
## INFORMATION FOR DECAY
###################################
DECAY 6 1.491500e+00 # WT
DECAY 23 2.441404e+00 # WZ
DECAY 24 2.047600e+00 # WW
DECAY 25 4.995000e-03 # WX0
## Dependent parameters, given by model restrictions.
## Those values should be edited following the
## analytical expression. MG5 ignores those values
## but they are important for interfacing the output of MG5
## to external program such as Pythia.
DECAY 1 0.000000 # d : 0.0
DECAY 2 0.000000 # u : 0.0
DECAY 3 0.000000 # s : 0.0
DECAY 4 0.000000 # c : 0.0
DECAY 5 0.000000 # b : 0.0
DECAY 11 0.000000 # e- : 0.0
DECAY 12 0.000000 # ve : 0.0
DECAY 13 0.000000 # mu- : 0.0
DECAY 14 0.000000 # vm : 0.0
DECAY 15 0.000000 # ta- : 0.0
DECAY 16 0.000000 # vt : 0.0
DECAY 21 0.000000 # g : 0.0
DECAY 22 0.000000 # a : 0.0
DECAY 82 0.000000 # gh : 0.0

Then the pdf took the following for the MG5 decay process:
#***********************************************************************
# PDF choice: this automatically fixes also alpha_s(MZ) and its evol. *
#***********************************************************************
'lhapdf' = pdlabel ! PDF set
247000 = lhaid ! If pdlabel=lhapdf, this is the lhapdf number. Only
! numbers for central PDF sets are allowed. Can be a list;
! PDF sets beyond the first are included via reweighting.

and the following for MadSpin loading and generated by MG5 production with the default setup:
#*********************************************************************
# PDF CHOICE: this automatically fixes also alpha_s and its evol. *
#*********************************************************************
     nn23lo1 = pdlabel ! PDF set
     230000 = lhaid ! if pdlabel=lhapdf, this is the lhapdf number
# To see heavy ion options: type "update ion_pdf"

so the pdf shall be OK I suppose?

However in the run_card for MadSpin, I had by default
#*********************************************************************
# Collider type and energy *
# lpp: 0=No PDF, 1=proton, -1=antiproton, 2=photon from proton, *
# 3=photon from electron, 4=photon from muon *
#*********************************************************************
     1 = lpp1 ! beam 1 type
     1 = lpp2 ! beam 2 type
...skipping...
 4 = maxjetflavor ! Maximum jet pdg code

which seems to violate the
generate 10:33:15 2) The pdf are zero for at least one of the initial state particles
generate 10:33:15 or you are using maxjetflavor=4 for initial state b:s.

For the cut, I suppose the only mmjj=500.0 would not be a very large value.

I would consult what does maxjetflavor specifying here and what shall be the proper way to choose this. I am a bit wondering how this resulting this 0 XS issue.

Many thanks.

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#13

Hi,

I guess that you speak about mmll and not mmjj, you do not have any jet within your decay. So that cut would not make sense.

If the mass of x0 is 125 GeV and since that particle has to be onshell (since you want to decay it with madspin)
then you can not ask two particles comming from such decay have an invariant mass higher than 125 GeV.
Actually in your case since you have 4 particle in the final state so asking mmll higher than half of the mass would not make sense.

 4 = maxjetflavor ! Maximum jet pdg code

This lines defines the running of alpha_s and the behaviour of various cut (do they include b or not)

Cheers,

Olivier

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said :
#14

Hi,

Many thanks for explanations.

Sure, that is correct. My fault, I was setting the mmll to be 500.0. Also, I was trying to set 500 MeV but mistook the unit as MeV in the card. I have changed it to 0.5 to test.

For the term onshell, I would like to consult does it require exact 125 GeV or a not very wide window around 125 GeV would be fine. Currently we are looking at a m4l window around 125 GeV but not go to higher than 160 GeV. The https://cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph/wiki/MadSpin page said the none mode takes no off-shell effect while onshell takes exactly onshell. Does it mean the none mode also only allow exact m4l =125.0 GeV? In addition, if it is the exact case, would this matter after reconstruction and fsr?

For the maxjetflavor, many thanks for the explanation. Then set 4 shall be fine for us.

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#15

Hi,

Both "none" and "onshell" does any include any smearing for the breit-wigner.
All events have exactly the m4l to the mass of x0 (125GeV) for a SM higgs,
my understanding (and feedback from ATLAS/CMS MC expert) is that this is not an issue because the
Higgs width is much smaller than the energy resolution.

Now for other cases, this can be an issue obviously.

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 12 Aug 2021, at 18:15, Yang Tianyi <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #698122 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/698122
>
> Yang Tianyi posted a new comment:
> Hi,
>
> Many thanks for explanations.
>
> Sure, that is correct. My fault, I was setting the mmll to be 500.0.
> Also, I was trying to set 500 MeV but mistook the unit as MeV in the
> card. I have changed it to 0.5 to test.
>
> For the term onshell, I would like to consult does it require exact 125
> GeV or a not very wide window around 125 GeV would be fine. Currently we
> are looking at a m4l window around 125 GeV but not go to higher than 160
> GeV. The https://cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph/wiki/MadSpin page
> said the none mode takes no off-shell effect while onshell takes exactly
> onshell. Does it mean the none mode also only allow exact m4l =125.0
> GeV? In addition, if it is the exact case, would this matter after
> reconstruction and fsr?
>
> For the maxjetflavor, many thanks for the explanation. Then set 4 shall
> be fine for us.
>
> Best Regards,
> Tianyi
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said :
#16

Hi,

Many thanks for the explanation on the spinmode.

For the run with the correct loading of the run_card. I have met the same error when I set the cut 4.0 GeV to mmll which shall be a large enough cut I suppose.

In addition, I also tried to set the other cuts in the production run_card for madspin as much as possible to the cut in the decay run_card as following:
sum = event_norm
4.0 = ptl
0.05 = drll
4.0 = mmll

The error still looks like:
generate 10:33:57 INFO: generate 10000 decay event for particle x0
generate 10:34:20 INFO: Will use seed 739076783
generate 11:36:06 CRITICAL: The number of event generated is only 7/12000. This typically indicates that you need specify cut on the decay process.
generate 11:36:06 CRITICAL: We strongly suggest that you cancel/discard this run.
generate 11:36:06 CRITICAL: Branching ratio larger than one for 25

Also, when I tried to also set the pdf to the same for the decay side run_card from
     nn23lo1 = pdlabel ! PDF set
     230000 = lhaid ! if pdlabel=lhapdf, this is the lhapdf number
to
     lhapdf = pdlabel ! PDF set
     247000 = lhaid ! if pdlabel=lhapdf, this is the lhapdf number,
I have got the following error:
00:09:23 decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
00:09:23 launch
00:09:25 INFO: generate 10000 decay event for particle x0
00:09:50 INFO: Will use seed 739076783
00:10:26 terminate called after throwing an instance of 'LHAPDF::UserError'
00:10:26 what(): Trying to use LHAGLUE set #1 but it is not initialised
00:10:26
00:10:26 Program received signal SIGABRT: Process abort signal.

The MadGraph part production works normally with this pdf setup.

Is there any suggestions for these cases? Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#17

Hi,

I remind you the comment on the run_card from the manual (and already stated above):

set run_card PATH:
Only for mode "none" or "onshell". This defines the cut to apply to the 1>N sample. Those cut will be applied in the frame where the particle is at rest. Transverse cut are meaningless in that card and should be kept to zero.

The run_card for madspin specifies a cut in the center of mass frame of the x0.
So a pt cut does not make any sense since the Z axis does not correspond to the beam axis.
This run_card should not be the same as the one that you use for production.

The same for the pdf/beam setup that you need to keep to the default for 1>N. (linking 1>N computation to LHAPDF is not ready --since irrelevant--)

This being said, you should first test that you can run the following 1> N process:
generate x0 > z > l+ l- l+ l-
output
launch

and check which cut are needed to make it working.
I guess that we do not have the same model since in the model that I'm using I do not need any specific cut.
so looks like the mmll cut is not needed thanks to the Higgs mass and conservation of energy/momenta.
So the issue might be with your model

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said :
#18

Hi,

Many thanks for the reminding.

I see. Then it seems better to keep the default rather than copy the same cut as the production side I suppose. However, I was trying to use the default setup of the decay run_card in the madspin before trying to set the same cut, still the same error I have met. Then I was wondering if the consistent cut needed. Sure it does not work.

The model I am using is the HC_NLO_X0_UFO. In the standalone run for the production with the commands:

import model HC_NLO_X0_UFO
define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
define v = a z w+ w-
generate x0 > z > l+ l- l+ l-
output
launch

everything can work fine without the mmll cut specified and for the madspin card I input the similar content:

set spinmode none
decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
launch

The output looks like:

INFO: detected model: HC_NLO_X0_UFO. Loading...
set ninja to /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/MG5_aMC_v2_8_3_2/HEPTools/lib
set collier to /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/MG5_aMC_v2_8_3_2/HEPTools/lib
set lhapdf to /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/MG5_aMC_v2_8_3_2/HEPTools/lhapdf6_py3/bin/lhapdf-config
set lhapdf to /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/MG5_aMC_v2_8_3_2/HEPTools/lhapdf6_py3/bin/lhapdf-config
Set group_subprocesses to Auto
Note that you need to regenerate all processes
set max_weight_ps_point 400 # number of PS to estimate the maximum for each event
set spinmode none
decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
launch
INFO: Will use seed 326012061
decaying event number 100 [0.05050539970397949 s]
decaying event number 200 [0.09935259819030762 s]
decaying event number 300 [0.15346860885620117 s]
decaying event number 400 [0.20066142082214355 s]
decaying event number 500 [0.29766345024108887 s]
decaying event number 600 [0.35126709938049316 s]
decaying event number 700 [0.4748387336730957 s]
decaying event number 800 [0.54813551902771 s]
decaying event number 900 [0.597614049911499 s]
decaying event number 1000 [0.6443960666656494 s]
decaying event number 2000 [1.1347918510437012 s]
decaying event number 3000 [1.619436264038086 s]
decaying event number 4000 [2.1248834133148193 s]
decaying event number 5000 [2.6169593334198 s]
decaying event number 6000 [3.084040880203247 s]
decaying event number 7000 [3.5791499614715576 s]
decaying event number 8000 [4.134574890136719 s]
decaying event number 9000 [4.6501898765563965 s]
INFO: The decayed event file has been moved to the following location:
INFO: /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_decay/PROC_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Events/run_01_decayed_1/unweighted_events.lhe.gz
INFO: MadSpin Done
INFO: storing files of previous run
INFO: Done
quit
INFO:

It looks the madspin can handle without production in the madgraph. Does it mean the madspin part itself should not be the issue in this process when working on this model?

It is also from this kind of run, I got the run_card.dat and send it to the madspin in the JO run with ATLAS setup, and it went wrong. I am wondering does it mean the model only works for the process without production, since in the full run, I took the process_card:

import model HC_NLO_X0_UFO

define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
define v = a z w+ w-
generate p p > x0 j j $$ w+ w- z / a [QCD]

output -f

and the madspin card:

    set max_weight_ps_point 400 # number of PS to estimate the maximum for each event
    #
    set seed %i
    # specify the decay for the final state particles
    set spinmode none
    set run_card /eos/user/t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_run_card_into_MS/PROC_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Cards/run_card.dat
    decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
    # running the actual code
    launch

I am wondering what kind of information does madgraph generate for production and decay, and what is needed for the madspin. I am a bit worried if I select the inconsistent tools and processes. It is also a bit confusing for me why in the standalone run I let Madgraph do the decay and again let madpin to do the decay. Would it possible to simulate also the production before decay?

Many thanks.

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#19

Can you run outside of ATLAS framework since ATLAS patches the code in various way making some issue not reproducible by us.
If with an official version, you still got the same behavior, could you indicate me which version you pick.
It is also possible that such issue has been fixed in the meantime if you do not pick the latest version.

Indeed asking to produce events for 1>N and then asking madspin after does not make sense....
No idea what's going on in that case (never tought to test the code in such crazy scenario)

Cheers,

Olivier

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said (last edit ):
#20

Hi,

Sure, I am doing the run with 2.8.3.2 standalone.
I have input
    import model HC_NLO_X0_UFO
    define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
    define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
    define v = a z w+ w-
    generate p p > x0 j j $$ w+ w- z / a [QCD]
    output
    launch

Then edit the madspin card into:
    set spinmode none
    set run_card /eos/user/t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_run_card_into_MS/PROC_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Cards/run_card.dat
    decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
    launch

This run card for madspin is also generated standalone MG5 with the decay process.

Then I have run into an issue with oneloop-3.6 "TOO MANY FAILURES, QUITTING". According to my experience, it seems this is a issue with FKS_params.dat that I need to set the "PrecisionVirtualAtRunTime" and "IRPoleCheckThreshold" to -1.0d0 in the FKS_params.dat. However, I have got

MadGraph/aMCatNLO 5 works only with python 2.7/3.7 or later .
               Please upgrate your version of python.

when I tried to relaunch ./bin/aMCatNLO after edition with unknown reason. Then I cannot run the MG5 with edited version for FKS_params.dat card. It seems during MG5 execution, the MG5 does not allow me to edit the FKS_params before running, failure and exiting MG5. Is there any way to directly run the launch with the edited FKS_params.dat?

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Additional comment: Sorry forget to add, my python version is 2.7.5

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#21

Hi,

Changing IRPoleCheckThreshold to -1.0d0 is typically a very bad idea.
Changing that parameter remove a lot of check of the code. If those check are failing it typically means that
something is not valid within the computation.
The only case where this is ok is for process where some NEGLIGEABLE loop are missing from the computation and that lead to the check failing.

So setting such parameter to -1 requires
1) that you identify the missing loop and that you ensure that adding such loop leads to consistent NLO computation.
2) that you identify that such loop does not impact any observable (which might limit the observables that you can consider obviously)
I hope that you have done that because otherwise it is likely that your result are completely wrong.

> MadGraph/aMCatNLO 5 works only with python 2.7/3.7 or later .
> Please upgrate your version of python.

This is correct you need to run either python2.7 or python3.7 or newer.
By default we run the python3 executable so you will get that message even if your default python executable is 2.7 but your python3 version is 3.6 or older.

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 15 Aug 2021, at 17:30, Yang Tianyi <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #698122 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/698122
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> Yang Tianyi is still having a problem:
> Hi,
>
> Sure, I am doing the run with 2.8.3.2 standalone.
> I have input
> import model HC_NLO_X0_UFO
> define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
> define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
> define v = a z w+ w-
> generate p p > x0 j j $$ w+ w- z / a [QCD]
> output
> launch
>
> Then edit the madspin card into:
> set spinmode none
> set run_card /eos/user/t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_run_card_into_MS/PROC_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Cards/run_card.dat
> decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
> launch
>
> This run card for madspin is also generated standalone MG5 with the
> decay process.
>
> Then I have run into an issue with oneloop-3.6 "TOO MANY FAILURES,
> QUITTING". According to my experience, it seems this is a issue with
> FKS_params.dat that I need to set the "PrecisionVirtualAtRunTime" and
> "IRPoleCheckThreshold" to -1.0d0 in the FKS_params.dat. However, I have
> got
>
> MadGraph/aMCatNLO 5 works only with python 2.7/3.7 or later .
> Please upgrate your version of python.
>
> when I tried to relaunch ./bin/aMCatNLO after edition with unknown
> reason. Then I cannot run the MG5 with edited version for FKS_params.dat
> card. It seems during MG5 execution, the MG5 does not allow me to edit
> the FKS_params before running, failure and exiting MG5. Is there any way
> to directly run the launch with the edited FKS_params.dat?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best Regards,
> Tianyi
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Revision history for this message
Yang Tianyi (learnpeskin) said :
#22

Hi,

Many thanks for the suggestions about the generation.

I was reading from https://github.com/lukasheinrich/higgs-mc-studies/blob/master/HC_NLO_X0_UFO/README page, there is the intructions:

[2] WEAK VECTOR BOSON FUSION (VBF) at NLO-QCD [arXiv:1311.1829]

> import model HC_NLO_X0(-no_b_mass)
> generate p p > x0 j j $$ w+ w- z / a [QCD]

where '$$ w+ w- z' removes diagrams with W/Z in the s-channel, which
are included in VH production, and '/ a' removes diagrams with photons.

Before you 'launch' the process, exit mg5_aMC, go to the output directory and
1) comment with a hash '#' the line
  tests.append('check_poles')
inside the file
  bin/internal/amcatnlo_run_interface.py
2) set to -1 the parameters
  'IRPoleCheckThreshold' and 'PrecisionVirtualAtRunTime'
in the file
   Cards/FKSparams.dat .

The amcatnlo_run_interface issue does not exist for the MG5 2.8.3.2 for the standalone run but only for the ALTAS version thus I did not need to edit this for the running. For the FKS card, I have also found from https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/192485359.pdf the content:

"This is a well known issue
for VFB Higgs production in MadGraph5_aMC@NLO
and a pragmatic solution requires to turn off the check
for IR pole cancellation. This can be achieved by modifying the #IRPoleCheckThreshold parameter in the
‘FKS_params.dat’ file from 1.0d-5 to -1.0d0"

Though the paper is not for the HC_NLO_X0_UFO, but this seems to be common issue I suppose?

By the way, I have re-run it with python 2 for the MadGraph standalone succesfully all the way towards the end of MadSpin. It confirms the issue might be with the ATLAS edited version. I will check with them for the further details.

************************************************************
* *
* W E L C O M E to M A D S P I N *
* *
************************************************************
INFO: Extracting the banner ...
INFO: process: p p > x0 j j
INFO: options: $$ w+ w- z / a
INFO: detected model: HC_NLO_X0_UFO. Loading...
set lhapdf to /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/MG5_aMC_v2_8_3_2/HEPTools/lhapdf6_py3/bin/lhapdf-config
set ninja to /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/MG5_aMC_v2_8_3_2/HEPTools/lib
set collier to /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/MG5_aMC_v2_8_3_2/HEPTools/lib
set max_weight_ps_point 400 # number of PS to estimate the maximum for each event
set spinmode none
set run_card /eos/user/t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_run_card_into_MS/PROC_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Cards/run_card.dat
decay x0 > z z > l+ l- l+ l-
launch
INFO: Will use seed 265386795
INFO: generate 10000 decay event for particle x0
tar: Cards: file changed as we read it
tar: bin: file changed as we read it
INFO: Will use seed 127770485
decaying event number 100 [0.188513040543 s]
decaying event number 200 [0.319055080414 s]
decaying event number 300 [0.493793964386 s]
decaying event number 400 [0.623096942902 s]
decaying event number 500 [0.749387979507 s]
decaying event number 600 [0.884011983871 s]
decaying event number 700 [1.03250598907 s]
decaying event number 800 [1.16065001488 s]
decaying event number 900 [1.31338405609 s]
decaying event number 1000 [1.44358897209 s]
decaying event number 2000 [2.76228713989 s]
decaying event number 3000 [4.07977890968 s]
decaying event number 4000 [5.42888998985 s]
decaying event number 5000 [6.80378603935 s]
decaying event number 6000 [8.13269901276 s]
decaying event number 7000 [9.55661606789 s]
decaying event number 8000 [10.853315115 s]
decaying event number 9000 [12.1582360268 s]
INFO: The decayed event file has been moved to the following location:
INFO: /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_outside_ATLAS_run/PROCNLO_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Events/run_02_decayed_1/events.lhe.gz
INFO: MadSpin Done
INFO: Preparing MCatNLO run
INFO: Using LHAPDF v6.3.0 interface for PDFs
INFO: Compiling MCatNLO for HERWIG6...
INFO: ... done
INFO: Showering events...
INFO: (Running in /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_outside_ATLAS_run/PROCNLO_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/MCatNLO/RUN_HERWIG6_1)
INFO: Idle: 1, Running: 0, Completed: 0 [ current time: 10h32 ]
INFO: Idle: 0, Running: 0, Completed: 1 [ 2m 47s ]
INFO: Idle: 0, Running: 0, Completed: 0 [ current time: 10h34 ]
INFO: Retry to read configuration file to find madanalysis/td
INFO: load configuration from /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_outside_ATLAS_run/PROCNLO_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Cards/amcatnlo_configuration.txt
INFO: load configuration from /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/MG5_aMC_v2_8_3_2/input/mg5_configuration.txt
INFO: load configuration from /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_outside_ATLAS_run/PROCNLO_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Cards/amcatnlo_configuration.txt
INFO: Fail to make the plot. Continue...
INFO: The file /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_outside_ATLAS_run/PROCNLO_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Events/run_02_decayed_1/events_HERWIG6_0.hep.gz has been generated.
It contains showered and hadronized events in the StdHEP format obtained showering the parton-level event file /eos/home-t/tiyang/public/CP_NLO_samples_2020/HC_NLO_on_r21/standalone_test/test_outside_ATLAS_run/PROCNLO_HC_NLO_X0_UFO_0/Events/run_02_decayed_1/events.lhe.gz with HERWIG6
INFO: Run complete

Many thanks for so much help through the long forum.

Best Regards,
Tianyi

Revision history for this message
Hannes (hannes3) said :
#23

Hi Olivier,

we looked into this a bit more in ATLAS.

What we found was that, also for the SM and other models, we get a > 1 GeV width and crazy uncertainties when generating h > z > l+ l- l+ l- (just as a standalone process). In later MG versions this seems to be fixed and we get a reasonable width.

We use 2.8.1 quite a lot in ATLAS so it would be important for us to understand whether you can reproduce the issue and if so whether you understand where it comes from and whether it might affect other decay or even production processes.

Best wishes,
Hannes

Revision history for this message
Hannes (hannes3) said :
#24

It should be clear from the context, but the affected version is 2.8.1.
I did test 2.9.3, which appeared to work fine. Apparently the issue is also fixed in 2.8.3.2, which was used in Tianyi's example.

Cheers,
Hannes

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#25

Hi,

Looking at the Update Note, this is indeed a know bug present from 2.8.0 to 2.8.3:
      OM: fix issue for 1>n process where width were set to zero automatically (introduced in 2.8.0)

So this issue is present as soon as you have intermediate resonance for a 1>n computation.

We have actually create a Long Term Stable version in order to encourage ATLAS/CMS to stick to that version and to include bug fix like this one very quickly in their framework.
The lastest version of the LTS is 2.9.5, and since 2.9.0, all those revisions contains only bug fixing.
All new features are now include in the 3.x branch where we had a new feature branch recently (3.2.0)

To fix an interface issue with pythia8.3, I will likely release soon 2.9.6 and 3.2.1.

Cheers,

Olivier

Revision history for this message
Hannes (hannes3) said :
#26

Hi Olivier,

thanks for clarifying the origin and scope of the issue!
We are in the process of updating our mg versions, which always takes a while for various reasons. Thanks for letting me know your status.

Cheers,
Hannes