What happen when we set nevents>100K

Asked by SUBHASISH BEHERA on 2021-06-04

Hi,

For one of the process I set
nevents=214K
to generate hard scattering process.

(1) Is this the right way to generate huge events without multi_run option?

(2) Is it possible that for such huge events, the MG5 just repeat the same events twice? Like, 100K generated and next 100K copied exactly same?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
Last reply:
Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#1

> (1) Is this the right way to generate huge events without multi_run option?

Yes should not be an issue. They are a maximum number of events that we allow for one run (I think this is 500k) and if you try to put a larger number we will automatically reduce to that number.

> (2) Is it possible that for such huge events, the MG5 just repeat the same events twice? Like, 100K generated and next 100K copied exactly same?

In principle no but a bug is always possible.

Cheers,

Olivier

> (2) Is it possible that for such huge events, the MG5 just repeat the same events twice? Like, 100K generated and next 100K copied exactly same?

> On 4 Jun 2021, at 16:11, SUBHASISH BEHERA <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> New question #697388 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/697388
>
> Hi,
>
> For one of the process I set
> nevents=214K
> to generate hard scattering process.
>
> (1) Is this the right way to generate huge events without multi_run option?
>
> (2) Is it possible that for such huge events, the MG5 just repeat the same events twice? Like, 100K generated and next 100K copied exactly same?
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Revision history for this message
SUBHASISH BEHERA (subhparasara) said :
#2

Dear Olivier,

Many many thanks.

I was in fact using version- 2_6_7 for my process at "proton" "electron " collision, with 7TeV and 60 GeV sample.

How can I check at hard scattering level to see whether the events are repeated or not?

Revision history for this message
Olivier Mattelaer (olivier-mattelaer) said :
#3

Hi,

> How can I check at hard scattering level to see whether the events are
> repeated or not?

We do not have tools for that but basic unix command like sort, uniq and wc can tell you how many line are identical in the output file

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 4 Jun 2021, at 17:35, SUBHASISH BEHERA <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #697388 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/697388
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> SUBHASISH BEHERA is still having a problem:
> Dear Olivier,
>
> Many many thanks.
>
> I was in fact using version- 2_6_7 for my process at "proton" "electron
> " collision, with 7TeV and 60 GeV sample.
>
> How can I check at hard scattering level to see whether the events are
> repeated or not?
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask SUBHASISH BEHERA for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.