Errors installing boost, pythia, Delphes from MG5_aMC

Asked by Jose Monroy on 2020-09-23

Hello, I am just starting with MadGraph; I installed it in a macbook pro with Catalina 10.15.6, I ran the tutorials and did some exercises with no showering part yet, however, when I tried to install pythia8 I got first a message saying that boost is not installed
--------
Now installing Pythia8. Be patient...
Detected 'pythia8' missing dependency: 'boost'. Will install it now.
-------
 and after some work the process just stops with error message

-------------------
Command "install boost " interrupted in sub-command:
"install boost" with error:
InvalidCmd : Installation of boost failed.
-------------

So I decided to install boost first, by doing "$ install boost" , but the error persists. The log file for boost installation is attached. the tail of the log file is:

------
...failed darwin.compile.c++ bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/decorator.o...
darwin.compile.c++ bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/framework.o
clang: error: unknown argument: '-fcoalesce-templates'

    "g++" -ftemplate-depth-128 -fcoalesce-templates -O3 -finline-functions -Wno-inline -Wall -pedantic -gdwarf-2 -fexceptions -Wno-long-double -Wno-long-long -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB=1 -DBOOST_CHRONO_STATIC_LINK=1 -DBOOST_SYSTEM_NO_DEPRECATED -DBOOST_SYSTEM_STATIC_LINK=1 -DBOOST_TIMER_STATIC_LINK=1 -DNDEBUG -I"." -c -o "bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/framework.o" "libs/test/src/framework.cpp"

...failed darwin.compile.c++ bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/framework.o...
darwin.compile.c++ bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/plain_report_formatter.o
clang: error: unknown argument: '-fcoalesce-templates'
-------

I tried installing boost by myself; although it worked, when I tried to install Pythia8 again it complains saying that boost is missing and will install it, so during the installation I get

----------------
Now installing boost. Be patient...
The specified path '/Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools' already contains an installation of tool 'boost'.
Rerun the HEPToolInstaller.py script again with the option '--force' if you want to overwrite it.
Tool boost already installed in /Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools. Do you want to overwrite its installation? y/n >[y] [60s to answer]
>y
Now installing boost. Be patient...
Removing existing installation of tool 'boost' in '/Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools'.
Fetching data with command:
  curl -OL http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.59.0/boost_1_59_0.tar.gz
 -------------------

and again, boost installation fails with the same error as before (clang:error:........). The pythia installation is then aborted because the error installing boost, which in turns, is related to 'clang error'

I have read several post about errors in boost and pythia installations (like https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/404194 , https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+bug/1713643, ) and tried the solutions proposed ( when applicable), I also found that I need an updated version of gcc/gfortran, so I installed gcc-10.1, isolated from the default mac gcc, and then I set gcc10.1 as the default by doing "export PATH=/usr/local/gcc-10.1.0/bin:$PATH" but still the pythia/boost installation throw the same clang error.

I am not sure what else to try, so if you could give me some advise I would appreciate it greatly.

thanks

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2020-09-23
Last reply:
2020-09-26

Hi,

with 10.15.5, I do not reproduce that issue.
Which version of xcode do you have? In my case i have "Version 11.5 (11E608c)"

This might also be related to which python version you have by default on your mac (I still have python2 as default).

This seems to be a know issue in boost actually:
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60287 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60287>
> https://github.com/zcash/zcash/issues/4333
> https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/440

Now when you do "install boost" in mg5_amc, you currently try to install boost 1.59.
I will update our server to boost 1.74.
This might fix your issue.
Our server should be updated in 20 min.

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 23 Sep 2020, at 17:55, Jose Monroy <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> New question #693054 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/693054
>
> Hello, I am just starting with MadGraph; I installed it in a macbook pro with Catalina 10.15.6, I ran the tutorials and did some exercises with no showering part yet, however, when I tried to install pythia8 I got first a message saying that boost is not installed
> --------
> Now installing Pythia8. Be patient...
> Detected 'pythia8' missing dependency: 'boost'. Will install it now.
> -------
> and after some work the process just stops with error message
>
> -------------------
> Command "install boost " interrupted in sub-command:
> "install boost" with error:
> InvalidCmd : Installation of boost failed.
> -------------
>
> So I decided to install boost first, by doing "$ install boost" , but the error persists. The log file for boost installation is attached. the tail of the log file is:
>
> ------
> ...failed darwin.compile.c++ bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/decorator.o...
> darwin.compile.c++ bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/framework.o
> clang: error: unknown argument: '-fcoalesce-templates'
>
> "g++" -ftemplate-depth-128 -fcoalesce-templates -O3 -finline-functions -Wno-inline -Wall -pedantic -gdwarf-2 -fexceptions -Wno-long-double -Wno-long-long -DBOOST_ALL_NO_LIB=1 -DBOOST_CHRONO_STATIC_LINK=1 -DBOOST_SYSTEM_NO_DEPRECATED -DBOOST_SYSTEM_STATIC_LINK=1 -DBOOST_TIMER_STATIC_LINK=1 -DNDEBUG -I"." -c -o "bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/framework.o" "libs/test/src/framework.cpp"
>
> ...failed darwin.compile.c++ bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/framework.o...
> darwin.compile.c++ bin.v2/libs/test/build/darwin-11.0.3/release/link-static/threading-multi/plain_report_formatter.o
> clang: error: unknown argument: '-fcoalesce-templates'
> -------
>
> I tried installing boost by myself; although it worked, when I tried to install Pythia8 again it complains saying that boost is missing and will install it, so during the installation I get
>
> ----------------
> Now installing boost. Be patient...
> The specified path '/Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools' already contains an installation of tool 'boost'.
> Rerun the HEPToolInstaller.py script again with the option '--force' if you want to overwrite it.
> Tool boost already installed in /Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools. Do you want to overwrite its installation? y/n >[y] [60s to answer]
>> y
> Now installing boost. Be patient...
> Removing existing installation of tool 'boost' in '/Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools'.
> Fetching data with command:
> curl -OL http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.59.0/boost_1_59_0.tar.gz
> -------------------
>
> and again, boost installation fails with the same error as before (clang:error:........). The pythia installation is then aborted because the error installing boost, which in turns, is related to 'clang error'
>
> I have read several post about errors in boost and pythia installations (like https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/404194 , https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+bug/1713643, ) and tried the solutions proposed ( when applicable), I also found that I need an updated version of gcc/gfortran, so I installed gcc-10.1, isolated from the default mac gcc, and then I set gcc10.1 as the default by doing "export PATH=/usr/local/gcc-10.1.0/bin:$PATH" but still the pythia/boost installation throw the same clang error.
>
> I am not sure what else to try, so if you could give me some advise I would appreciate it greatly.
>
> thanks
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Jose Monroy (jmonroy) said : #2

Thank you Olivier,

it seems like the script is still downloading boost 1.59 while the installation is looking for boost 1.77. according to:

Enter boost directory and install boost
/Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/installBOOST.sh: line 14: cd: boost_1_77_0: No such file or directory
/Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/installBOOST.sh: line 15: ./bootstrap.sh: No such file or directory
/Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/installBOOST.sh: line 16: ./b2: No such file or directory
Finished installing boost

am I right?

 thank you

Yes indeed,
I have I have catched all the place where 1.59.0 where written now.
answer at 20h45 CET

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 24 Sep 2020, at 19:10, Jose Monroy <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #693054 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/693054
>
> Jose Monroy posted a new comment:
> Thank you Olivier,
>
> it seems like the script is still downloading boost 1.59 while the
> installation is looking for boost 1.77. according to:
>
> Enter boost directory and install boost
> /Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/installBOOST.sh: line 14: cd: boost_1_77_0: No such file or directory
> /Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/installBOOST.sh: line 15: ./bootstrap.sh: No such file or directory
> /Users/jmonroy/Documents/iDM/madgraph5/MG5_aMC_v2_8_0/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/installBOOST.sh: line 16: ./b2: No such file or directory
> Finished installing boost
>
> am I right?
>
> thank you
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Jose Monroy (jmonroy) said : #4

Hi Olivier, I think the right version of boost is 1.74

marco zaro (marco-zaro) said : #5

Hi,
If I can add on this, also a student of ours has a problem with install pythia.
The problem is related to boost, with the error quoted below this message.
Indeed, there is no version 1.77 on sourceforge, the latest being 1.74 (see https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/ ). The error is reproduced by typing in a shell
  curl -OL http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.77.0/boost_1_77_0.tar.gz
and trying to untar it.
Cheers,

Marco

Fetching data with command:
  curl -OL http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.77.0/boost_1_77_0.tar.gz
  % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
                                 Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 178 100 178 0 0 419 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 419
100 108k 100 108k 0 0 63064 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 112k
Installing tool 'boost'...
    > Follow the installation progress by running the command below in a separate terminal)
    > tail -f /Users/leonardoguidetti/mg5amcnlo/HEPTools/boost/boost_install.log
    > A problem occured during the installation of dependency 'boost'.
    > Content of the installation log file '/Users/leonardoguidetti/mg5amcnlo/HEPTools/boost/boost_install.log':

Download boost
Download boost
tar: Error opening archive: Unrecognized archive format
Enter boost directory and install boost
/Users/leonardoguidetti/mg5amcnlo/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/installBOOST.sh: line 14: cd: boost_1_77_0: No such file or directory
/Users/leonardoguidetti/mg5amcnlo/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/installBOOST.sh: line 15: ./bootstrap.sh: No such file or directory
/Users/leonardoguidetti/mg5amcnlo/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/installBOOST.sh: line 16: ./b2: No such file or directory
Finished installing boost

Hello,

I am the student Marco mentioned and I tried to analyze and resolve, in a "local" way, the error due to the "install pythia8" command.

Thanks specially to Marco, we had seen that the program gives the error during the installation of Pythia, because it tries to download the tar, which does not exist:

"http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.77.0/boost_1_77_0.tar.gz"

instead, at most there is the version:

"https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.74.0/boost_1_74_0.tar.gz"

The download of this tar, "boost_1_77_0.tar.gz", is requested from the file:

"/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/HEPToolInstaller.py"

which is not a file contained in the tar base "MG5_aMC_v2.X.X.tar" of MadGraph5_aMC@NLO installation (so it cannot be modified locally), but is downloaded, every time you try to "install pythia8", together with the whole folder "/HEPToolsInstallers" from the site:

"http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/Downloads/HEPToolsInstaller/HEPToolsInstaller_V134.tar.gz"

So I suppose the error lies in the file "HEPToolInstaller.py" contained in the tar "HEPToolsInstaller_V134.tar.gz" of the site "http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/Downloads/HEPToolsInstaller/".

This error appears also in the previous version V133, while when I had installed MadGraph5_aMC@NLO in June 2020, "install pythia8" worked fine, because the version of HEPToolsInstaller was V129, which did load the boost_1_59, which really exists.

To bypass the call to "http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/Downloads/HEPToolsInstaller/HEPToolsInstaller_V134.tar.gz" I tried to locate the calling file, which should be:

"/madgraph/interface/madgraph_interface.py"

of the MadGraph5_aMC@NLO folder and which in turn calls a variable "install_server = ['http://madgraph.phys.ucl.ac.be/package_info.dat', 'http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/package_info.dat ']" and in both .dat files is contained precisely:

"HEPToolsInstaller http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/Downloads/HEPToolsInstaller/HEPToolsInstaller_V134.tar.gz".

At this point I don't know how to get around, even if homemade, the problem of calling "HEPToolsInstaller_V134".

I hope this analysis would be correct.

Waiting to your welcome support, I'm really looking forward to seeing this problem solved soon.

Thank you.

The HepToolsinstaller points to boost_1_74 now (more exactly it will be in 26 min)

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 26 Sep 2020, at 06:50, Leonardo Guidetti <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #693054 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/693054
>
> Leonardo Guidetti posted a new comment:
> Hello,
>
> I am the student Marco mentioned and I tried to analyze and resolve, in
> a "local" way, the error due to the "install pythia8" command.
>
> Thanks specially to Marco, we had seen that the program gives the error
> during the installation of Pythia, because it tries to download the tar,
> which does not exist:
>
> "http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.77.0/boost_1_77_0.tar.gz"
>
> instead, at most there is the version:
>
> "https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.74.0/boost_1_74_0.tar.gz"
>
> The download of this tar, "boost_1_77_0.tar.gz", is requested from the
> file:
>
> "/HEPTools/HEPToolsInstallers/HEPToolInstaller.py"
>
> which is not a file contained in the tar base "MG5_aMC_v2.X.X.tar" of
> MadGraph5_aMC@NLO installation (so it cannot be modified locally), but
> is downloaded, every time you try to "install pythia8", together with
> the whole folder "/HEPToolsInstallers" from the site:
>
> "http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/Downloads/HEPToolsInstaller/HEPToolsInstaller_V134.tar.gz"
>
> So I suppose the error lies in the file "HEPToolInstaller.py" contained
> in the tar "HEPToolsInstaller_V134.tar.gz" of the site
> "http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/Downloads/HEPToolsInstaller/".
>
> This error appears also in the previous version V133, while when I had
> installed MadGraph5_aMC@NLO in June 2020, "install pythia8" worked fine,
> because the version of HEPToolsInstaller was V129, which did load the
> boost_1_59, which really exists.
>
> To bypass the call to
> "http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/Downloads/HEPToolsInstaller/HEPToolsInstaller_V134.tar.gz"
> I tried to locate the calling file, which should be:
>
> "/madgraph/interface/madgraph_interface.py"
>
> of the MadGraph5_aMC@NLO folder and which in turn calls a variable
> "install_server = ['http://madgraph.phys.ucl.ac.be/package_info.dat',
> 'http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/package_info.dat ']" and in both
> .dat files is contained precisely:
>
> "HEPToolsInstaller
> http://madgraph.physics.illinois.edu/Downloads/HEPToolsInstaller/HEPToolsInstaller_V134.tar.gz".
>
> At this point I don't know how to get around, even if homemade, the
> problem of calling "HEPToolsInstaller_V134".
>
> I hope this analysis would be correct.
>
> Waiting to your welcome support, I'm really looking forward to seeing
> this problem solved soon.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Thank you Olivier.

Now, the installation with Pythia8 is properly done on my Mac and this solve my problem.

Cheers,

Leonardo

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Jose Monroy for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.