Installation of MG5aMC_PY8_interface fails

Asked by Jay Sandesara on 2020-05-15

Hello,

I am trying to install MG5aMC_PY8_interface using the MadGraph interface (install mg5amc_py8_interface). However, I end up getting the following error: /lib64/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line.

Detailed message:

Error during the compilation of MG5aMC_PY8_interface: gcc MG5aMC_PY8_interface.cc ../lib/libpythia8.a -o MG5aMC_PY8_interface -I/gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/hepmc/include\ /gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/MG5aMC_PY8_interface/static_library_dependencies/libHepMC.a -I../include -ldl -fPIC -lstdc++ -L../lib -Wl,-rpath,../lib -lpythia8 -ldl -DGZIPSUPPORT -I/gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/zlib/include -L/gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/zlib/lib -Wl,-rpath,/gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/zlib/lib -lz /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/releases/binutils/2.28-a983d/x86_64-slc6/bin/ld: ../lib/libpythia8.a(FJcore.o): undefined reference to symbol 'tan@@GLIBC_2.2.5' /lib64/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [MG5aMC_PY8_interface] Error 1

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Olivier Mattelaer
Solved:
2020-05-16
Last query:
2020-05-16
Last reply:
2020-05-15

Looks like a compilation error in your version of pythia8 linking to a wrong version of glibc.
How did you install pythia8?

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 15 May 2020, at 05:45, Jay Sandesara <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> New question #690729 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/690729
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install MG5aMC_PY8_interface using the MadGraph interface (install mg5amc_py8_interface). However, I end up getting the following error: /lib64/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line.
>
> Detailed message:
>
> Error during the compilation of MG5aMC_PY8_interface: gcc MG5aMC_PY8_interface.cc ../lib/libpythia8.a -o MG5aMC_PY8_interface -I/gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/hepmc/include\ /gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/MG5aMC_PY8_interface/static_library_dependencies/libHepMC.a -I../include -ldl -fPIC -lstdc++ -L../lib -Wl,-rpath,../lib -lpythia8 -ldl -DGZIPSUPPORT -I/gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/zlib/include -L/gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/zlib/lib -Wl,-rpath,/gpfs3/umass/jsandesara/MG5_aMC_v2_7_2/HEPTools/zlib/lib -lz /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/releases/binutils/2.28-a983d/x86_64-slc6/bin/ld: ../lib/libpythia8.a(FJcore.o): undefined reference to symbol 'tan@@GLIBC_2.2.5' /lib64/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [MG5aMC_PY8_interface] Error 1
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Jay Sandesara (jaysandesara) said : #2

Doing install mg5amc_py8_interface seems to automatically install pythia8. I also tried removing the pythia8 and mg5amc_py8_interface directories and reinstall first with install pythia8. Doing this starts the installation of mg5amc_py8_interface automatically. I get the same error in both cases.

Maybe the issue is just this one:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16006145/ld-undefined-reference-to-symbol-log2glibc-2-2-5

In principle we follow the pythia8 method to install this.
Therefore we use those files for the compilation:
$pythia8_path/share/Pythia8/examples/Makefile.inc
$pythia8_path/share/Pythia8/examples/Makefile

So you can modify those files to add this missing flag and then reask the installation of the module.

If you need more help on this, I would suggest to contact pythia8 author (in particular Stefan prestel)

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 15 May 2020, at 19:41, Jay Sandesara <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #690729 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/690729
>
> Jay Sandesara posted a new comment:
> Doing install mg5amc_py8_interface seems to automatically install
> pythia8. I also tried removing the pythia8 and mg5amc_py8_interface
> directories and reinstall first with install pythia8. Doing this starts
> the installation of mg5amc_py8_interface automatically. I get the same
> error in both cases.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Jay Sandesara (jaysandesara) said : #4

Thanks Olivier Mattelaer, that solved my question.