Mathematical definition of xqcut

Asked by trenta coollime on 2020-02-12

Hello, experts.

I have been generating events with xqcut = 20 for p p > h > z zp, z> l+ l-, zp > b b~ and noticed some odd feature.

Even when I define xqcut = 20, which I believe to be equivalent to kT (pT) of jet, I see several events, which have jets with pT<20.

MG5 website says it's the minimal distance in the phase space allowed between extra partons.

What does that exactly mean? and is there a mathematical formula that defines the quantity precisely?

Thank you.

Best Regards.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Olivier Mattelaer
Solved:
2020-02-12
Last query:
2020-02-12
Last reply:
2020-02-12

Hi,

xqcut is a (very) special cut use for MLM matching/merging.
It does not have any easy mathematical formula.
I would suggest to read https://cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph/wiki/Matching <https://cp3.irmp.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph/wiki/Matching>
and the reference to the various paper pointed to that page.
Note that in the case of a single jet, this is equivalent to the pt of that particle.

In this specific case, matching/merging does not occur on particle coming from decay.
and therefore your b-quark are not cut by that cut. (in top of that that cut is applied in principle only on massless particles which also might explains why it does not appear here.

In version 2.7.0 of the code, you might not even have the xqcut in the run_card since we are now automatically hidding all cuts that does not have any impact for the process under consideration.

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 12 Feb 2020, at 16:28, trenta coollime <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> New question #688706 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/688706
>
> Hello, experts.
>
> I have been generating events with xqcut = 20 for p p > h > z zp, z> l+ l-, zp > b b~ and noticed some odd feature.
>
> Even when I define xqcut = 20, which I believe to be equivalent to kT (pT) of jet, I see several events, which have jets with pT<20.
>
> MG5 website says it's the minimal distance in the phase space allowed between extra partons.
>
> What does that exactly mean? and is there a mathematical formula that defines the quantity precisely?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Thank you for your response!

One last question, when you say "Note that in the case of a single jet, this is equivalent to the pt of that particle."

does the "single jet" mean additional jet specified in "generate" level (ex) p p > t t~ j)? or any single jet?

> does the "single jet" mean additional jet specified in "generate" level
> (ex) p p > t t~ j)? or any single jet?

when you have exactly one jet at parton level (what you call "generate" level)
so yes for
p p > t t~j or for p p > w+ w- j ,...

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 12 Feb 2020, at 19:57, trenta coollime <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #688706 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/688706
>
> trenta coollime posted a new comment:
> Thank you for your response!
>
> One last question, when you say "Note that in the case of a single jet,
> this is equivalent to the pt of that particle."
>
> does the "single jet" mean additional jet specified in "generate" level
> (ex) p p > t t~ j)? or any single jet?
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Thanks Olivier Mattelaer, that solved my question.