Compilation failed for FeynRules model file

Asked by KP.Xie on 2019-10-22

Hi,

I met a problem when using MG5 to generate events for a user-defined model file. The problem is weird because:

1) I have been using the same model for more than half a year, but it reported errors only recently. Or more precisely, it reported errors only in last weekend, when I was running multi_run 100, it reported errors and stopped at run_01_45.

2) When using the self-defined model file, whatever process I ran (even for some SM process such as QCD tt~), it reported errors; however if I used the default SM model in MG5, it ran very well.

3) The versions of MG5 I used include 2.6.3.2, 2.6.5, 2.6.7; the FeynRules version I used is the newest one, 2.3.

The administrator told me that he updated the ROOT version of the server to v6.18.02 and moved pyROOT from python2.7 to python3.5 about a month ago. I'm not sure if this is the reason why the model file yields errors only recently.

Attached is the error information from MG5:

survey run_01
INFO: compile directory
compile Source Directory
Error detected in "generate_events run_01"
write debug file /home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/run_01_tag_1_debug.log
If you need help with this issue please contact us on https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
MadGraph5Error : A compilation Error occurs when trying to compile /home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source.
 The compilation fails with the following output message:
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o StringCast.o StringCast.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o ranmar.o ranmar.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o alfas_functions.o alfas_functions.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o transpole.o transpole.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o invarients.o invarients.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o hfill.o hfill.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o pawgraphs.o pawgraphs.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o ran1.o ran1.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o rw_events.o rw_events.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o rw_routines.o rw_routines.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o kin_functions.o kin_functions.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o open_file.o open_file.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o basecode.o basecode.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o setrun.o setrun.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o run_printout.o run_printout.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o dgauss.o dgauss.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o readgrid.o readgrid.f
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o getissud.o getissud.f
     cd DHELAS; make
     cd PDF; make
     cd MODEL; make
     cd CERNLIB; make
     cd BIAS/dummy; make
     make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
     make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
     make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/BIAS/dummy'
     make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/PDF'
     make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
     make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/MODEL'
     make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
     make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/CERNLIB'
     make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
     make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/DHELAS'
     make[1]: ../make_opts:62: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
     make[1]: ../../make_opts:62: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o Ctq6Pdf.o Ctq6Pdf.f
     make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
     make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/PDF'
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o abend.o abend.f
     makefile:45: recipe for target '../lib/libpdf.a' failed
     make: *** [../lib/libpdf.a] Error 2
     make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
     make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
     make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/CERNLIB'
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o aloha_functions.o aloha_functions.f
     makefile:47: recipe for target '../lib/libcernlib.a' failed
     make: *** [../lib/libcernlib.a] Error 2
     make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
     make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/DHELAS'
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o dummy.o dummy.f
     make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
     make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/BIAS/dummy'
     makefile:43: recipe for target '../lib/libdhelas.a' failed
     make: *** [../lib/libdhelas.a] Error 2
     makefile:50: recipe for target '../lib/libbias.a' failed
     make: *** [../lib/libbias.a] Error 2
     gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o couplings.o couplings.f
     make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
     make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/MODEL'
     makefile:53: recipe for target '../lib/libmodel.a' failed
     make: *** [../lib/libmodel.a] Error 2

 Please try to fix this compilations issue and retry.
 Help might be found at https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo.
 If you think that this is a bug, you can report this at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo

Could you help me? Thanks a lot!!

Best,
Ke-Pan

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Olivier Mattelaer
Solved:
2019-11-05
Last query:
2019-11-05
Last reply:
2019-10-22

Hi,

This is an issue related to some leak of threads in the code.
large multi run are not possible due to that. Also such large multi-run are not recommended.
At that level, you should rather use the gridpack mode for higher efficiency.

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 22 Oct 2019, at 10:09, KP.Xie <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> New question #685322 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/685322
>
> Hi,
>
> I met a problem when using MG5 to generate events for a user-defined model file. The problem is weird because:
>
> 1) I have been using the same model for more than half a year, but it reported errors only recently. Or more precisely, it reported errors only in last weekend, when I was running multi_run 100, it reported errors and stopped at run_01_45.
>
> 2) When using the self-defined model file, whatever process I ran (even for some SM process such as QCD tt~), it reported errors; however if I used the default SM model in MG5, it ran very well.
>
> 3) The versions of MG5 I used include 2.6.3.2, 2.6.5, 2.6.7; the FeynRules version I used is the newest one, 2.3.
>
> The administrator told me that he updated the ROOT version of the server to v6.18.02 and moved pyROOT from python2.7 to python3.5 about a month ago. I'm not sure if this is the reason why the model file yields errors only recently.
>
> Attached is the error information from MG5:
>
> survey run_01
> INFO: compile directory
> compile Source Directory
> Error detected in "generate_events run_01"
> write debug file /home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/run_01_tag_1_debug.log
> If you need help with this issue please contact us on https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
> MadGraph5Error : A compilation Error occurs when trying to compile /home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source.
> The compilation fails with the following output message:
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o StringCast.o StringCast.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o ranmar.o ranmar.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o alfas_functions.o alfas_functions.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o transpole.o transpole.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o invarients.o invarients.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o hfill.o hfill.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o pawgraphs.o pawgraphs.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o ran1.o ran1.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o rw_events.o rw_events.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o rw_routines.o rw_routines.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o kin_functions.o kin_functions.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o open_file.o open_file.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o basecode.o basecode.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o setrun.o setrun.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o run_printout.o run_printout.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o dgauss.o dgauss.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o readgrid.o readgrid.f
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o getissud.o getissud.f
> cd DHELAS; make
> cd PDF; make
> cd MODEL; make
> cd CERNLIB; make
> cd BIAS/dummy; make
> make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
> make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/BIAS/dummy'
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/PDF'
> make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/MODEL'
> make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/CERNLIB'
> make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add '+' to parent make rule.
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/DHELAS'
> make[1]: ../make_opts:62: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> make[1]: ../../make_opts:62: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o Ctq6Pdf.o Ctq6Pdf.f
> make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/PDF'
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o abend.o abend.f
> makefile:45: recipe for target '../lib/libpdf.a' failed
> make: *** [../lib/libpdf.a] Error 2
> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/CERNLIB'
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o aloha_functions.o aloha_functions.f
> makefile:47: recipe for target '../lib/libcernlib.a' failed
> make: *** [../lib/libcernlib.a] Error 2
> make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/DHELAS'
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o dummy.o dummy.f
> make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/BIAS/dummy'
> makefile:43: recipe for target '../lib/libdhelas.a' failed
> make: *** [../lib/libdhelas.a] Error 2
> makefile:50: recipe for target '../lib/libbias.a' failed
> make: *** [../lib/libbias.a] Error 2
> gfortran -O -w -fbounds-check -fPIC -ffixed-line-length-132 -c -o couplings.o couplings.f
> make[1]: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/kpxie/MG5_aMC_v2_6_7/KPX_events/H_exotic_ttx/Source/MODEL'
> makefile:53: recipe for target '../lib/libmodel.a' failed
> make: *** [../lib/libmodel.a] Error 2
>
> Please try to fix this compilations issue and retry.
> Help might be found at https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo.
> If you think that this is a bug, you can report this at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo
>
> Could you help me? Thanks a lot!!
>
> Best,
> Ke-Pan
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

KP.Xie (kpxie) said : #2

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the reply! But now I met the error every time I ran the process, no matter multi_run or not. For example, the attached error information in the question was generated by the following process,

generate p p > t t~ @1,
add process p p > t t~ j @2,

and "launch".

I have downloaded the new version of MG5 and tried, but it reported the same error.

Best,
Ke-Pan

Hi,

The exact same error?
then it might be more a RAM issue.

In any case the simpliest solution is likely to reboot the system (or kill one by one the process(es) that block your ressources)

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 22 Oct 2019, at 12:08, KP.Xie <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #685322 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/685322
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> KP.Xie is still having a problem:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> Thanks for the reply! But now I met the error every time I ran the
> process, no matter multi_run or not. For example, the attached error
> information in the question was generated by the following process,
>
> generate p p > t t~ @1,
> add process p p > t t~ j @2,
>
> and "launch".
>
> I have downloaded the new version of MG5 and tried, but it reported the
> same error.
>
> Best,
> Ke-Pan
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

KP.Xie (kpxie) said : #4

Hi Olivier,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I'll try to contact the administrator.

Best,
Ke-Pan

KP.Xie (kpxie) said : #5

Thanks Olivier Mattelaer, that solved my question.