xxxx can not be mapped to an integer

Asked by Adrian Carmona on 2018-05-07

Hi,

I created a model in Feynrules with a bunch of fermions and when I try e.g. 'compute_widths all' in MG5 I get something like

Command "compute_widths all" interrupted with error:
Exception : 1802, 1803, 1901, 1902, 1903, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2101, 2102, 2103 can not be mapped to an integer

where 1802, 1803, ... 2103 are the PDG numbers of some of my new extra fields. I am not 100% sure but I think it's due to the fact that my model has more particles than the allowed number by default in MG5. Back in the days, one could change the maximum number of allowed particles somehow in MadGraph (I think it was called max_particles) and everything was fine. I tried at some point with a similar model that included less fields and I got no problem with MG5.

I would really appreciate if you could help me with this issue.

Cheers!

Adrián

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Adrian Carmona
Solved:
2018-05-07
Last query:
2018-05-07
Last reply:
2018-05-07

Hi,

Can you give more information about the issue? (model use/ how did you call that command )
This sounds an old bug but I might be wrong. In any case which version of the code are you using?

Please send me all the information needed to reproduce the problem otherwise it is impossible to help you.

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 7 May 2018, at 17:02, Adrian Carmona <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> New question #668711 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/668711
>
> Hi,
>
> I created a model in Feynrules with a bunch of fermions and when I try e.g. 'compute_widths all' in MG5 I get something like
>
> Command "compute_widths all" interrupted with error:
> Exception : 1802, 1803, 1901, 1902, 1903, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2101, 2102, 2103 can not be mapped to an integer
>
> where 1802, 1803, ... 2103 are the PDG numbers of some of my new extra fields. I am not 100% sure but I think it's due to the fact that my model has more particles than the allowed number by default in MG5. Back in the days, one could change the maximum number of allowed particles somehow in MadGraph (I think it was called max_particles) and everything was fine. I tried at some point with a similar model that included less fields and I got no problem with MG5.
>
> I would really appreciate if you could help me with this issue.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Adrián
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Adrian Carmona (dziga) said : #2

Hi,

Sure, no problem. Sorry if my explanations were to brief. I generated a model with Feynrules 2.3.29 which is basically the SM plus 36 colored fermions (I know they are a lot!). I copied the UFO model to MG5 2_6_1 and if I load the model and try to compute anything it will give me this same error. For instance, instead of computing the widths of these fermions with 'compute_widths all', if I try

./bin/mg5_aMC
import model xxx
generate p p > hu11 hu11~
launch

where hu11 is one of these new fermions I get

Command "launch " interrupted in sub-command:
"launch" with error:
Exception : 1802, 1803, 1901, 1902, 1903, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2101, 2102, 2103 can not be mapped to an integer

I can provide you with more details if necessary.

Cheers

Adrián

Adrian Carmona (dziga) said : #3

By the way, the particle 1802 is the 26th new fermion. So MG5 just complains about the last 11 fermions.

Hi,

Do you have the debug file?

Can you try with 2.6.2?
Just to be sure that this is not yet fixed (this sounds to be an issue in the run_card)

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 7 May 2018, at 18:07, Adrian Carmona <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #668711 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/668711
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> Adrian Carmona is still having a problem:
> Hi,
>
> Sure, no problem. Sorry if my explanations were to brief. I generated a
> model with Feynrules 2.3.29 which is basically the SM plus 36 colored
> fermions (I know they are a lot!). I copied the UFO model to MG5 2_6_1
> and if I load the model and try to compute anything it will give me this
> same error. For instance, instead of computing the widths of these
> fermions with 'compute_widths all', if I try
>
> ./bin/mg5_aMC
> import model xxx
> generate p p > hu11 hu11~
> launch
>
> where hu11 is one of these new fermions I get
>
> Command "launch " interrupted in sub-command:
> "launch" with error:
> Exception : 1802, 1803, 1901, 1902, 1903, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2101, 2102, 2103 can not be mapped to an integer
>
> I can provide you with more details if necessary.
>
> Cheers
>
> Adrián
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

> By the way, the particle 1802 is the 26th new fermion. So MG5 just
> complains about the last 11 fermions.

This confirms my suspicion that this is an old bug

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 7 May 2018, at 18:12, Adrian Carmona <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #668711 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/668711
>
> Adrian Carmona posted a new comment:
> By the way, the particle 1802 is the 26th new fermion. So MG5 just
> complains about the last 11 fermions.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.

Adrian Carmona (dziga) said : #6

Hi,

This is the debug file (see below) but it seems that the version 2.6.2 solved the problem!!

#************************************************************
#* MadGraph5_aMC@NLO *
#* *
#* * * *
#* * * * * *
#* * * * * 5 * * * * *
#* * * * * *
#* * * *
#* *
#* *
#* VERSION 2.6.1 2017-12-12 *
#* *
#* The MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Development Team - Find us at *
#* https://server06.fynu.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph *
#* *
#************************************************************
#* *
#* Command File for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO *
#* *
#* run as ./bin/mg5_aMC filename *
#* *
#************************************************************
set group_subprocesses Auto
set ignore_six_quark_processes False
set loop_optimized_output True
set loop_color_flows False
set gauge unitary
set complex_mass_scheme False
set max_npoint_for_channel 0
import model sm
define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
define l+ = e+ mu+
define l- = e- mu-
define vl = ve vm vt
define vl~ = ve~ vm~ vt~
import model gears_rs
generate p p > hu11 hu11~
launch
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/extended_cmd.py", line 1467, in onecmd
    return self.onecmd_orig(line, **opt)
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/extended_cmd.py", line 1421, in onecmd_orig
    return func(arg, **opt)
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/master_interface.py", line 488, in do_launch
    return self.cmd.do_launch(self, line, *argss, **opts)
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/madgraph_interface.py", line 6845, in do_launch
    ext_program.run()
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/launch_ext_program.py", line 65, in run
    self.launch_program()
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/launch_ext_program.py", line 620, in launch_program
    usecmd = ME.MadEventCmdShell(me_dir=self.running_dir, options=self.options)
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/madevent_interface.py", line 2106, in __init__
    CmdExtended.__init__(self, me_dir, options, *completekey, **stdin)
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/madevent_interface.py", line 207, in __init__
    super(CmdExtended, self).__init__(me_dir, options, *arg, **opt)
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/common_run_interface.py", line 665, in __init__
    self.get_characteristics()
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/common_run_interface.py", line 3793, in get_characteristics
    self.proc_characteristics = banner_mod.ProcCharacteristic(path)
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/various/banner.py", line 950, in __init__
    self.read(finput, **opt)
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/various/banner.py", line 1334, in read
    self[key.strip()] = value
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/various/banner.py", line 1047, in __setitem__
    for v in value]
  File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/various/banner.py", line 1227, in format_variable
    raise Exception, "%s can not be mapped to an integer" % value
Exception: 1802, 1803, 1901, 1902, 1903, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2101, 2102, 2103 can not be mapped to an integer
                          MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Options
                          ----------------
        complex_mass_scheme : False
                      gauge : unitary
         group_subprocesses : Auto
  ignore_six_quark_processes : False
           loop_color_flows : False
      loop_optimized_output : True
  low_mem_multicore_nlo_generation : False
     max_npoint_for_channel : 0 (user set)
               stdout_level : 20 (user set)

                         MadEvent Options
                          ----------------
     automatic_html_opening : True
                    nb_core : 4 (user set)
        notification_center : True
                   run_mode : 2

                      Configuration Options
                      ---------------------
                        OLP : MadLoop
                    amcfast : amcfast-config
                   applgrid : applgrid-config
                auto_update : 7 (user set)
         cluster_local_path : None
           cluster_nb_retry : 1
              cluster_queue : None (user set)
         cluster_retry_wait : 300
               cluster_size : 100
      cluster_status_update : (600, 30)
          cluster_temp_path : None
               cluster_type : condor
                    collier : ./HEPTools/lib
               cpp_compiler : None
             crash_on_error : False
               delphes_path : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/Delphes (user set)
                 eps_viewer : None
        exrootanalysis_path : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/ExRootAnalysis (user set)
              f2py_compiler : None
                    fastjet : None (user set)
           fortran_compiler : None
                      golem : None (user set)
                 hepmc_path : None (user set)
                  hwpp_path : None (user set)
                     lhapdf : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/HEPTools/lhapdf6/bin/lhapdf-config (user set)
          madanalysis5_path : None (user set)
           madanalysis_path : None (user set)
  mg5amc_py8_interface_path : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/HEPTools/MG5aMC_PY8_interface (user set)
                      ninja : ./HEPTools/lib
        output_dependencies : external
                      pjfry : None (user set)
            pythia-pgs_path : None (user set)
               pythia8_path : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/HEPTools/pythia8 (user set)
                    samurai : None
               syscalc_path : None (user set)
                    td_path : None (user set)
                text_editor : None
                thepeg_path : None (user set)
                    timeout : 60
                web_browser : None

Ok,

Good to know that 2.6.2 fixes the issue.

Cheers,

Olivier

> On 7 May 2018, at 18:32, Adrian Carmona <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #668711 on MadGraph5_aMC@NLO changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/mg5amcnlo/+question/668711
>
> Status: Answered => Solved
>
> Adrian Carmona confirmed that the question is solved:
> Hi,
>
> This is the debug file (see below) but it seems that the version 2.6.2
> solved the problem!!
>
> #************************************************************
> #* MadGraph5_aMC@NLO *
> #* *
> #* * * *
> #* * * * * *
> #* * * * * 5 * * * * *
> #* * * * * *
> #* * * *
> #* *
> #* *
> #* VERSION 2.6.1 2017-12-12 *
> #* *
> #* The MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Development Team - Find us at *
> #* https://server06.fynu.ucl.ac.be/projects/madgraph *
> #* *
> #************************************************************
> #* *
> #* Command File for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO *
> #* *
> #* run as ./bin/mg5_aMC filename *
> #* *
> #************************************************************
> set group_subprocesses Auto
> set ignore_six_quark_processes False
> set loop_optimized_output True
> set loop_color_flows False
> set gauge unitary
> set complex_mass_scheme False
> set max_npoint_for_channel 0
> import model sm
> define p = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
> define j = g u c d s u~ c~ d~ s~
> define l+ = e+ mu+
> define l- = e- mu-
> define vl = ve vm vt
> define vl~ = ve~ vm~ vt~
> import model gears_rs
> generate p p > hu11 hu11~
> launch
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/extended_cmd.py", line 1467, in onecmd
> return self.onecmd_orig(line, **opt)
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/extended_cmd.py", line 1421, in onecmd_orig
> return func(arg, **opt)
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/master_interface.py", line 488, in do_launch
> return self.cmd.do_launch(self, line, *argss, **opts)
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/madgraph_interface.py", line 6845, in do_launch
> ext_program.run()
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/launch_ext_program.py", line 65, in run
> self.launch_program()
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/launch_ext_program.py", line 620, in launch_program
> usecmd = ME.MadEventCmdShell(me_dir=self.running_dir, options=self.options)
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/madevent_interface.py", line 2106, in __init__
> CmdExtended.__init__(self, me_dir, options, *completekey, **stdin)
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/madevent_interface.py", line 207, in __init__
> super(CmdExtended, self).__init__(me_dir, options, *arg, **opt)
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/common_run_interface.py", line 665, in __init__
> self.get_characteristics()
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/interface/common_run_interface.py", line 3793, in get_characteristics
> self.proc_characteristics = banner_mod.ProcCharacteristic(path)
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/various/banner.py", line 950, in __init__
> self.read(finput, **opt)
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/various/banner.py", line 1334, in read
> self[key.strip()] = value
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/various/banner.py", line 1047, in __setitem__
> for v in value]
> File "/home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/madgraph/various/banner.py", line 1227, in format_variable
> raise Exception, "%s can not be mapped to an integer" % value
> Exception: 1802, 1803, 1901, 1902, 1903, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2101, 2102, 2103 can not be mapped to an integer
> MadGraph5_aMC@NLO Options
> ----------------
> complex_mass_scheme : False
> gauge : unitary
> group_subprocesses : Auto
> ignore_six_quark_processes : False
> loop_color_flows : False
> loop_optimized_output : True
> low_mem_multicore_nlo_generation : False
> max_npoint_for_channel : 0 (user set)
> stdout_level : 20 (user set)
>
> MadEvent Options
> ----------------
> automatic_html_opening : True
> nb_core : 4 (user set)
> notification_center : True
> run_mode : 2
>
> Configuration Options
> ---------------------
> OLP : MadLoop
> amcfast : amcfast-config
> applgrid : applgrid-config
> auto_update : 7 (user set)
> cluster_local_path : None
> cluster_nb_retry : 1
> cluster_queue : None (user set)
> cluster_retry_wait : 300
> cluster_size : 100
> cluster_status_update : (600, 30)
> cluster_temp_path : None
> cluster_type : condor
> collier : ./HEPTools/lib
> cpp_compiler : None
> crash_on_error : False
> delphes_path : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/Delphes (user set)
> eps_viewer : None
> exrootanalysis_path : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/ExRootAnalysis (user set)
> f2py_compiler : None
> fastjet : None (user set)
> fortran_compiler : None
> golem : None (user set)
> hepmc_path : None (user set)
> hwpp_path : None (user set)
> lhapdf : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/HEPTools/lhapdf6/bin/lhapdf-config (user set)
> madanalysis5_path : None (user set)
> madanalysis_path : None (user set)
> mg5amc_py8_interface_path : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/HEPTools/MG5aMC_PY8_interface (user set)
> ninja : ./HEPTools/lib
> output_dependencies : external
> pjfry : None (user set)
> pythia-pgs_path : None (user set)
> pythia8_path : /home/adrian/hep/MG5_aMC_v2_6_1/HEPTools/pythia8 (user set)
> samurai : None
> syscalc_path : None (user set)
> td_path : None (user set)
> text_editor : None
> thepeg_path : None (user set)
> timeout : 60
> web_browser : None
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadGraph5_aMC@NLO.