Algorithm to be used for particle isolation

Asked by lyb on 2019-03-29

Hi Benjamin,

(1) Could you explain how the command "main.isolation.algorithm" is used, respectively, for photons, leptons ( e and mu) in the ./bin/ma5 -R mode for Ma5_v.1.6?

(2) Or to obtain the requited isolated electron and isolated photons, I am not sure whether
the file tools/SampleAnalyzer/Commons/Service/IsolationTracker.h (or other files in this directory) can be changed.

(3) Lepton and photon isolation: As explained in section 4.4.2 and from page 92 ( https://arxiv.org/abs/1808.00480), could the lhco file be used in the expert mode?

Thank you in advance.

Yao-Bei

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
MadAnalysis 5 Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
lyb
Solved:
2019-04-01
Last query:
2019-04-01
Last reply:
2019-04-01
Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #1

Hi Yao-Bei,

> (1) Could you explain how the command "main.isolation.algorithm" is used, respectively, for photons, leptons ( e and mu) in the ./bin/ma5 -R mode for Ma5_v.1.6?
>
> (2) Or to obtain the requited isolated electron and isolated photons, I am not sure whether
> the file tools/SampleAnalyzer/Commons/Service/IsolationTracker.h (or other files in this directory) can be changed.
>
> (3) Lepton and photon isolation: As explained in section 4.4.2 and from page 92 ( https://arxiv.org/abs/1808.00480), could the lhco file be used in the expert mode?

To do what you want to do, you should use the expert mode and not the normal mode, and delphes files. (I guess this answers all three questions.).

Cheers,

Benjamin

lyb (liuyaobei) said : #2

Hi Benjamin,

On arXiv:1206.1599 page 64-65 the isolation in normal mode is defined in MA5. But when input as "set main.isolation.algo = DELTAR" this is error MA5-ERROR: 'isolation' has no parameter called 'algo'
The size of this cone can be specified by the user by
typing in the command interface
set main.isolation.deltaR = <value>

Is this an old command?

There are only two types:
main.isolation.algorithm main.isolation.radius

Best,

Yao-Bei

lyb (liuyaobei) said : #3

Hi,
I saw another MA5 paper 1808.00480, on page 76 and found the command for "main.isolation.algorithm" where "Algorithm to be used for particle isolation. The available choices are cone (no activity in a cone of radius specified by main.isolation.radius)
and sumpt (the scalar sum of the transverse momenta of all particles lying in a given cone around the candidate must be smaller than main.isolation.sumPT and the ratio of the transverse energy of all particles in this cone to the transverse momentum of the candidate must be smaller than main.isolation.ET_PT)."

However, I am not sure it is suitable for photon or other particles such as electrons and muons. Could you tell me how to choose them?

Best,

Yao-Bei

Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #4

Hi,

The code has evolved since 2012. Please start from the 2018 paper.

Cheers,

Benjamin

> On 29 Mar 2019, at 22:12 , lyb <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #679639 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/679639
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> lyb is still having a problem:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> On arXiv:1206.1599 page 64-65 the isolation in normal mode is defined in MA5. But when input as "set main.isolation.algo = DELTAR" this is error MA5-ERROR: 'isolation' has no parameter called 'algo'
> The size of this cone can be specified by the user by
> typing in the command interface
> set main.isolation.deltaR = <value>
>
> Is this an old command?
>
> There are only two types:
> main.isolation.algorithm main.isolation.radius
>
>
> Best,
>
> Yao-Bei
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadAnalysis 5.

lyb (liuyaobei) said : #5

Hi Benjamin,

Yes, it should be started from the 2018 paper, my question is for the lhco input file with ./bin/ma5 -R mode for the following command:
set main.isolation. algorithm = cone
set main.isolation.radius = 0.3
set main.isolation.algorithm = sumpt
set main.isolation.ET_PT= 0.12

How could I know which particle (photons, electrons or muons) isolation are used?
for example, how can I type the command for the photon isolation, or lepton isolation and so on?

Best,

Yao-Bei

Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #6

Hi,

This information is not available on the LHCO file. You should start from root files. For what you need, please use the expert mode.

Cheers,

B>

> On 1 Apr 2019, at 11:57 , lyb <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #679639 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/679639
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> lyb is still having a problem:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> Yes, it should be started from the 2018 paper, my question is for the lhco input file with ./bin/ma5 -R mode for the following command:
> set main.isolation. algorithm = cone
> set main.isolation.radius = 0.3
> set main.isolation.algorithm = sumpt
> set main.isolation.ET_PT= 0.12
>
>
> How could I know which particle (photons, electrons or muons) isolation are used?
> for example, how can I type the command for the photon isolation, or lepton isolation and so on?
>
>
> Best,
>
> Yao-Bei
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadAnalysis 5.

lyb (liuyaobei) said : #7

Hi again,

Due to the large capacity for the root files, I only kept the lhco files. I want to know, in the expert mode, if I can compile it with the lhco files or I have to use the root files? If it is the latter, the new event within root file has to be regenerated.

Best,

Yao-Bei

Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #8

Hi,

The information you need to do what you want is not available in LHCO files. You may want to consider implementing a simple deltaR isolation instead.

Cheers,

Benjamin

> On 1 Apr 2019, at 13:33 , lyb <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #679639 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/679639
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> lyb is still having a problem:
> Hi again,
>
> Due to the large capacity for the root files, I only kept the lhco
> files. I want to know, in the expert mode, if I can compile it with the
> lhco files or I have to use the root files? If it is the latter, the new
> event within root file has to be regenerated.
>
> Best,
>
> Yao-Bei
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadAnalysis 5.

lyb (liuyaobei) said : #9

Thanks Benjamin Fuks, that solved my question.