how to reconstruct the W massin -R mode

Asked by lyb on 2018-12-02

Hello,

I use -R mode to reconstruct the W transverse mass (The final state inculde W boson with leptonicly decay) with the code MT_MET(l) , but in my events there is other neutrinos also contributing to missing energy. So how can I reconstruct the W boson mass via the neutrino longitudinal momentum by enforcing MW^2=(pl+pnu)^ 2? How can I definite ET(miss)=pT(nu) in this mode?

Thanks in advance

Yao-Bei

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
MadAnalysis 5 Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2018-12-05
Last reply:
2018-12-05
Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #1

Hi Yao-Bei

The MT_MET calculation always considers the full missing (transverse) momentum. If this definition does not suit your need, it is up to you to define a new observable directly in the analysis code.

Regards

Benjamin

> On 2 Dec 2018, at 22:08 , lyb <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> New question #676533 on MadAnalysis 5:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533
>
> Hello,
>
> I use -R mode to reconstruct the W transverse mass (The final state inculde W boson with leptonicly decay) with the code MT_MET(l) , but in my events there is other neutrinos also contributing to missing energy. So how can I reconstruct the W boson mass via the neutrino longitudinal momentum by enforcing MW^2=(pl+pnu)^ 2? How can I definite ET(miss)=pT(nu) in this mode?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Yao-Bei
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadAnalysis 5.

lyb (liuyaobei) said : #2

Hi Benjamin,
How can I define a new observable directly in the analysis code in the -R mode? I cannot find the example to find it in arXiv:1206.1599 and answers in similar questions.
I need to reconstruct the W boson mass from its leptonic decay but in the event there is also other origins for the neutrinos.

Thank you very much if you can tell me how can I define the missing transverse momentum for W leoptonic decay. It is very important to me because this is a problem that I have to solve now.
Best,
Yao-Bei

----- 原始邮件 -----
发件人:Benjamin Fuks <email address hidden>
收件人:<email address hidden>
主题:Re: [Question #676533]: how to reconstruct the W massin -R mode
日期:2018年12月05日 03点37分

Your question #676533 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533
    Status: Open => Answered
Benjamin Fuks proposed the following answer:
Hi Yao-Bei
The MT_MET calculation always considers the full missing (transverse)
momentum. If this definition does not suit your need, it is up to you to
define a new observable directly in the analysis code.
Regards
Benjamin
> On 2 Dec 2018, at 22:08 , lyb <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> New question #676533 on MadAnalysis 5:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533
>
> Hello,
>
> I use -R mode to reconstruct the W transverse mass (The final state inculde W boson with leptonicly decay) with the code MT_MET(l) , but in my events there is other neutrinos also contributing to missing energy. So how can I reconstruct the W boson mass via the neutrino longitudinal momentum by enforcing MW^2=(pl+pnu)^ 2? How can I definite ET(miss)=pT(nu) in this mode?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Yao-Bei
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadAnalysis 5.
--
If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
know that it is solved:
https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533/+confirm?answer_id=0
If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
following page to enter your feedback:
https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533
You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #3

Hi Yao-Bei,

Please have a look to
  https://arxiv.org/abs/1808.00480 <https://arxiv.org/abs/1808.00480>
Many examples are given in there so that you can get inspiration on how to code your observable within the expert mode. In the expert mode, you don't really need to define any observable but instead code it directly. You can for instance code the solutions for the neutrino momentum.

Regards,

Benjamin

> On 5 Dec 2018, at 12:13 , lyb <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #676533 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> lyb is still having a problem:
> Hi Benjamin,
> How can I define a new observable directly in the analysis code in the -R mode? I cannot find the example to find it in arXiv:1206.1599 and answers in similar questions.
> I need to reconstruct the W boson mass from its leptonic decay but in the event there is also other origins for the neutrinos.
>
> Thank you very much if you can tell me how can I define the missing transverse momentum for W leoptonic decay. It is very important to me because this is a problem that I have to solve now.
> Best,
> Yao-Bei
>
>
>
>
> ----- 原始邮件 -----
> 发件人:Benjamin Fuks <email address hidden>
> 收件人:<email address hidden>
> 主题:Re: [Question #676533]: how to reconstruct the W massin -R mode
> 日期:2018年12月05日 03点37分
>
>
> Your question #676533 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533
> Status: Open => Answered
> Benjamin Fuks proposed the following answer:
> Hi Yao-Bei
> The MT_MET calculation always considers the full missing (transverse)
> momentum. If this definition does not suit your need, it is up to you to
> define a new observable directly in the analysis code.
> Regards
> Benjamin
>> On 2 Dec 2018, at 22:08 , lyb <email address hidden> wrote:
>>
>> New question #676533 on MadAnalysis 5:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use -R mode to reconstruct the W transverse mass (The final state inculde W boson with leptonicly decay) with the code MT_MET(l) , but in my events there is other neutrinos also contributing to missing energy. So how can I reconstruct the W boson mass via the neutrino longitudinal momentum by enforcing MW^2=(pl+pnu)^ 2? How can I definite ET(miss)=pT(nu) in this mode?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Yao-Bei
>>
>> --
>> You received this question notification because you are an answer
>> contact for MadAnalysis 5.
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533/+confirm?answer_id=0
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/676533
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadAnalysis 5.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask lyb for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.