Key not recognized, but contribution accepted - Karma problems

Asked by Pieter J. Kersten (EduSense BV) on 2010-01-18

Hi,

I've recently added some considerable work to addons-community (openobject). I used bzr push for this.
My contribution was accepted (rev 165), but not tied to my user, hence my karma went into thin air.

How can I correct this/prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks in advance,
--
Pieter J. Kersten

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Launchpad itself Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2010-02-10
Last reply:
2010-02-10
Aaron Bentley (abentley) said : #1

Ensure that the email address you use when committing is registered to your account in Launchpad.

You can use "bzr whoami" to view and set your bzr identity.

If you later add the email address that you used for rev 165 to your Launchpad account, your karma will be added then.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for answering.

That's what I thought. So I've tried that and done that. I've checked my
keys (even created and registered new ones), checked my email (whoami),
etc., but to no avail.
So, it seems a bit more stubborn than that.

My latest projects and changes *are* recognized and linked to my user,
but are still not contributing to my karma. So, my karma is still
decaying, no matter how hard I work...
Not very satisfying, to say the least.

Any other thoughts?
--
Pieter J. Kersten

Op dinsdag 26-01-2010 om 21:06 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Aaron
Bentley:

> Your question #97832 on Launchpad itself changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/97832
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Aaron Bentley proposed the following answer:
> Ensure that the email address you use when committing is registered to
> your account in Launchpad.
>
> You can use "bzr whoami" to view and set your bzr identity.
>
> If you later add the email address that you used for rev 165 to your
> Launchpad account, your karma will be added then.
>

Aaron Bentley (abentley) said : #3

Hi Pieter,

Actually, there are two reasons why you haven't received karma for rev 165. One is that it was committed with "<email address hidden>" but your launchpad account is only associated with the email address "<email address hidden>"

The other reason is that our scripts for assigning karma for revisions had to be disabled recently due to poor performance. The fixed version will be rolled out with our next release. Sorry I didn't think to mention this earlier. I thought the fixed version had already been rolled out.

Aaron

Ok, that makes sense, but recently there's more...

Suddenly and automagically I'm subscribed to all sorts of translation
activities, in languages varying from French to Vietnamese. I'm only
contributing to a Dutch translation project. I don't even speak these
other languages and never subscribed to any of their activities. I'm
receiving mail of failed imports of .po files in these languages stating
I triggered the import (I didn't).

When I view my karma and the latest activities therein, I see all sorts
of activities I never did, mostly related to translation work in these
other languages. One should expect to see my karma going through the
roof, but nothing is happening there...

So, to me there seems to be more going on here. Has there ever been a
sort of identity mixup in Launchpad? Can this be the case?

Op dinsdag 26-01-2010 om 21:38 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Aaron
Bentley:

> Your question #97832 on Launchpad itself changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/97832
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Aaron Bentley proposed the following answer:
> Hi Pieter,
>
> Actually, there are two reasons why you haven't received karma for rev
> 165. One is that it was committed with "<email address hidden>"
> but your launchpad account is only associated with the email address
> "<email address hidden>"
>
> The other reason is that our scripts for assigning karma for revisions
> had to be disabled recently due to poor performance. The fixed version
> will be rolled out with our next release. Sorry I didn't think to
> mention this earlier. I thought the fixed version had already been
> rolled out.
>
> Aaron
>

Brad Crittenden (bac) said : #5

Hi Pieter,

I see you are subscribed to translation groups for French, German, and Dutch. Have you tried to unsubscribe from the ones that are not correct?

Your karma activities now seem to be centered around translations. Does it look correct now?
https://edge.launchpad.net/~pieterj/+karma

Hi Brad,

Sorry for the delay...
Yes, I've tried to unsubscribe, but apparently these are subscribed by
openerp-commiters, not on a per person basis. Perhaps that is what
creating all the false readings as well.
If that's the case, that leaves my karma...

As long as I commit/push to my 'own' branch, my karma adds up. As soon
as I start committing/pushing the openerp-commiters branches, I do not
receive any karma. Seems odd to me. Where does my karma go?

TIA

Karma "fades" over time, but otherwise the karma should be the same for your branch as a team-owned branch.

Could this explain the difference you are seeing?

I'm aware of the fading issue.

As you state that the karma should be the same, one would expect actions in a team-owned branch initialized by me to add up to my karma, as it does in my own branches. It doesn't, at least not for me.

I don't know/can't tell if this is only my problem or that this is a generic problem/feature. Hence my question.

Your answer only adds to my suspicion that something is wrong.

I only see very recent Bazaar actions in your recent karma actions, and karma is allocated nightly. Did you commit to the team branch in the last few hours? Your karma should change as a reflection of these actions in a few hours.

Yeah, the short karma history is a pain in the ***. You can't verify what has or has not contributed to anyone's karma. Nevertheless, we'll see tomorrow.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Pieter J. Kersten (EduSense BV) for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.