Some imports failed, but it gives no reasons.

Asked by Benno Schulenberg on 2007-11-08

Three of the PO files I uploaded failed during import, but checking them with 'msgfmt -cv' shows zero errors. What is going wrong? The "Import problem" mail does not specify any actual error message. What I'm especially curious about is diffutils: it has been failing to get imported also for Feisty and Edgy -- but I can't see anything wrong with the file.

https://translations.launchpad.net/~bennoschulenberg/+imports

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Launchpad itself Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Benno Schulenberg
Solved:
2007-11-20
Last query:
2007-11-20
Last reply:
2007-11-19
Matt C (mvc1095) said : #1

I am having the same issue with the en_CA PO file I uploaded for update-manager in Gutsy:
https://translations.launchpad.net/~mvcorks/+imports
I don't know how to proceed because no further information is given about the import error.

Any help would be appreciated. The only other reference I can find to this issue is this question:
https://answers.launchpad.net/rosetta/+question/7368
However, there are no msgctxt lines in my PO file, so I'm still stuck.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, for your update-manager en_CA.po you could try deleting all the obsolete entries (lines 22-586), fix the two remaining fuzzies, and then try again.

Matt C (mvc1095) said : #3

Benno, thanks for your feedback. I took your suggestions and was able to import the file successfully. It would be nice to have more verbose feedback regarding errors, but my immediate problem is solved.

Okay. And now please stay away from my question, unless you have an answer. :)

I'm having the same problem

For your convenience, you can get the file you uploaded at:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/10444696/da.po

msgfmt -cv

gives no errors for the file.

Jeffrey, try replacing line 2 with the original Rosetta copyright line from the export. And delete lines 21-71 -- these obsolete entries possibly confuse Launchpad. Then try again.

On 18/11/2007, Benno Schulenberg <email address hidden> wrote:
> Jeffrey, try replacing line 2 with the original Rosetta copyright line
> from the export. And delete lines 21-71 -- these obsolete entries
> possibly confuse Launchpad. Then try again.

Thanks for the feedback. Still no joy. Same lack of error.

For your convenience, you can get the file you uploaded at:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/10459876/da.po

The funny thing is that I changed nothing after exporting. My standard
procedure is to export everything. Commit the changes, and import
everything again with a new .pot.

 Jeffrey, try deleting line 981. It looks like a stray line, and it contains a ^M.

On 19/11/2007, Benno Schulenberg <email address hidden> wrote:
> Jeffrey, try deleting line 981. It looks like a stray line, and it
> contains a ^M.

That did the trick.

Thanks

Okay, in diffutils.po and util-linux.po I had some \r escape sequences, the equivalent of ^M. After removing those, the files were accepted. Why it doesn't accept bash.po I don't know, but I can't be bothered any more.

Benno, there are indeed some more \r's around in bash-nl.po:

#: lib/malloc/malloc.c:314
#, c-format
msgid ""
"^M
\n"
"malloc: %s:%d: assertion botched
^M\n"
msgstr ""
"
^M\n"
"malloc(): %s:%d: controletest is mislukt
^M\n"

We still need to look into why is this a problem, but at least you know of the workaround.

Christian Reis (kiko) said : #12

Please link this question to an open bug describing the problem, Danilo.