having a problem branching mysql source

Asked by Hiromichi Watari on 2010-03-12

Hi,
I'm having a problem branching with Bazaar for mysql source, here is the terminal session output.
I would appreciate it if you can provide with some insight.
Thanks,
Hiromichi

[hwatari@desktop-intel mysql-5.1]$ bzr pull -r 2000
Using saved parent location: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mysql/mysql-server/mysql-5.1/
Connection to bazaar.launchpad.net closed by remote host.tching revisions:Inser
bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Launchpad itself Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Tim Penhey
Solved:
2010-03-18
Last query:
2010-03-18
Last reply:
2010-03-17
Tim Penhey (thumper) said : #1

How long is it taking before it dies?

Have you tried just a bzr pull?

Hi Tim,
Thank you for your reply.

>How long is it taking before it dies?
At some times after an hour or two but at some other times after several hours.

>Have you tried just a bzr pull?
Yes I've tried both branching and pulling.

Thanks,
Hiromichi

Tim Penhey (thumper) said : #3

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 03:50:13 Hiromichi Watari wrote:
> Question #104147 on Launchpad Bazaar Integration changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+question/104147
>
> Status: Needs information => Open
>
> Hiromichi Watari gave more information on the question:
> Hi Tim,
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> >How long is it taking before it dies?
>
> At some times after an hour or two but at some other times after several
> hours.
>
> >Have you tried just a bzr pull?
>
> Yes I've tried both branching and pulling.

Are you branching into a shared repository? Is the shared repository empty?
What format is the repository? `bzr info -v`

Which version of bzr are you using?

Hi Tim,

> Are you branching into a shared repository?
Yes

> Is the shared repository empty?
Yes

> What format is the repository? `bzr info -v`
[hwatari@desktop-intel mysql-server]$ bzr info -v
Shared repository with trees (format: 2a)
Location:
  shared repository: .

Format:
       control: Meta directory format 1
    repository: Repository format 2a - rich roots, group compression and chk inventories

Create working tree for new branches inside the repository.

Repository:
         0 revisions

> Which version of bzr are you using?
I'm not sure but I think I downloaded the latest one.

Thanks,
Hiromichi

p.s. I tried again earlier today but failed with the same error message after about 300MB of data.

--- On Tue, 3/16/10, Tim Penhey <email address hidden> wrote:

> From: Tim Penhey <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #104147]: having a problem branching mysql source
> To: <email address hidden>
> Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 3:27 PM
> Your question #104147 on Launchpad
> Bazaar Integration changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+question/104147
>
>     Status: Open => Answered
>
> Tim Penhey proposed the following answer:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 03:50:13 Hiromichi Watari wrote:
> > Question #104147 on Launchpad Bazaar Integration
> changed:
> > https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+question/104147
> >
> >     Status: Needs information
> => Open
> >
> > Hiromichi Watari gave more information on the
> question:
> > Hi Tim,
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > >How long is it taking before it dies?
> >
> > At some times after an hour or two but at some other
> times after several
> >  hours.
> >
> > >Have you tried just a bzr pull?
> >
> > Yes I've tried both branching and pulling.
>
> Are you branching into a shared repository?  Is the
> shared repository empty?
> What format is the repository?  `bzr info -v`
>
> Which version of bzr are you using?
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following
> page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+question/104147/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go
> to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+question/104147
>
> You received this question notification because you are a
> direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Ah, your shared repo is in a newer format than the mysql branch so bazaar will be doing an on-the-fly conversion -- which will be *extremely* slow for a branch the size of mysql. Try deleting the repo and recreating it with "bzr init-repo --1.9".

Hope this helps.

Best Tim Penhey (thumper) said : #6

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:07:39 Michael Hudson wrote:
> Question #104147 on Launchpad Bazaar Integration changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+question/104147
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Michael Hudson proposed the following answer:
> Ah, your shared repo is in a newer format than the mysql branch so
> bazaar will be doing an on-the-fly conversion -- which will be
> *extremely* slow for a branch the size of mysql. Try deleting the repo
> and recreating it with "bzr init-repo --1.9".
>
> Hope this helps.

There is still the bug about branching into an empty shared repo.

Personally I'd consider just branching the mysql branch into a temporary local
location, then branching from there into the empty shared repo. That way the
inefficiencies of the first branch into an empty repo are minimised by having the
other branch being local.

Hi Tim and Michael,

Thank you for your advice, I was finally able to branch the mysql server tree as follows.

bzr branch -r 500 lp:mysql-server/5.1 mysql-5.1-local
cd mysql-5.1-local
bzr pull -r 1000
bzr pull -r 2000
bzr pull (now on revision 3367)

cd ..
mkdir mysql-server
bzr init-repo --trees --1.9 mysql-server
cd mysql-server
bzr branch ../mysql-5.1-local mysql-5.1

The problem I encountered may have been due to in part a connection interruption due to a long transfer time.

Thanks,
Hiromichi