How can I digitally "punch" a letter out of my own background pattern

Asked by Yasmin Carden-Smith on 2012-02-26

Hi, I was wondering whether it was possible to digitally 'punch' out letters from a background of a flag in Inkscape? I am a new user of Inkscape and not very familiar with it yet. I tried using layers but I either end up with the flag with the letter on the top or just a blank outline of the letter I want. How do I get the pattern into the outline letter? I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Inkscape Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Chris Bruno
Solved:
2012-03-07
Last query:
2012-03-07
Last reply:
2012-02-28
Chris Bruno (chris-bruno) said : #1

Not sure if this is what you mean, but check out this tutorial:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Tricks_and_tips#Created_punched-out_text

~theBruno

Hi there thanks for the rapid response. What I was trying to do was to
put outline letters on a decorative background and then fade all the
background except what was contained in the outline letters so that you are
left with decorative letters on a white background. I can give this method
a try and see what happens. Thank you very much for your help.

On 27 February 2012 20:05, Chris Bruno <<email address hidden>
> wrote:

> Your question #188955 on Inkscape changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+question/188955
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Chris Bruno proposed the following answer:
> Not sure if this is what you mean, but check out this tutorial:
>
> http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Tricks_and_tips#Created_punched-out_text
>
> ~theBruno
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+question/188955/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+question/188955
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Best Chris Bruno (chris-bruno) said : #3

Try selecting the flag then chosing Object>Pattern>Objects to Pattern then select the text and pull up the stroke and fill and select pattern. You may have to adjust text size and/or pattern settings in stroke and fill to get the desired effect. Let me know if this works.

~theBruno

Chris Bruno (chris-bruno) said : #4

Sorry -
forgot to add that you would then delete the flag image if I understand your desired result correctly.

Good luck!
~theBruno

Hi thanks for info. Will try at weekend and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again!

On 28 February 2012 18:55, Chris Bruno <<email address hidden>
> wrote:

> Your question #188955 on Inkscape changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+question/188955
>
> Chris Bruno posted a new comment:
> Sorry -
> forgot to add that you would then delete the flag image if I understand
> your desired result correctly.
>
> Good luck!
> ~theBruno
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Hi there, you are fantastic! Tried your suggestions and they worked - exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for your help.

Regards

Hi there, you are fantastic! Tried your suggestions and they worked -
exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for your help.

Regards
Yasmin

On 29 February 2012 20:56, Yasmin Carden-Smith <email address hidden>wrote:

> Hi thanks for info. Will try at weekend and let you know how I get on.
> Thanks again!
>
>
> On 28 February 2012 18:55, Chris Bruno <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
>> Your question #188955 on Inkscape changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+question/188955
>>
>> Chris Bruno posted a new comment:
>> Sorry -
>> forgot to add that you would then delete the flag image if I understand
>> your desired result correctly.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> ~theBruno
>>
>> --
>> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>>
>
>

Chris Bruno (chris-bruno) said : #8

You're welcome. So glad I could help. :)