importing GPX on a Mac

Asked by Hemmik on 2009-06-17

Maybe it's easier in english..

When waypoints are imported from my gt-120 and stored in a GPX file, the file has the following contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gpx xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd" creator="igotu2gpx" version="1.1">
    <trk>
        <trkseg>
        </trkseg>
    </trk>
</gpx>

There is nog GPS information. How is this possible? When it's connected to a windows pc, it works fine!

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
igotu2gpx Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2009-06-18
Last reply:
2009-06-18
Michael Hofmann (mh21) said : #1

Hey, I also understand Dutch :-).

Can you try to call "igotu2gpx dump --details" and see whether the points are visible there? And please also post the output of "igotu2gpx info".

Hemmik (hemmik) said : #2

Dan doen we het in het nederlands, maakt voor mijn iets uit!

Dank voor het snelle antwoord btw!

Als ik het via de terminal doe krijg ik wel coordinaten te zien, ze
zijn leeg doordat ik nu in een kantoor zit, maar ze zijn er wel:

Record 21
   Date 2009-06-17T14:36:31
   Latitude 0,000000
   Longitude 0,000000
   Elevation -47,0 m
   Speed 0,0 km/h
   Course 0,00 degrees
   EHPE 0,00 m
   Satellites:
   Flags 0x12
   Timeout 12 s
   MSVs_QCN 17
   Weight criteria 0x00
   Sleep time 0

de info geeft dit terug:

S/N: 240446
Firmware version: 3.05
Model: GT-120
Number of trackpoints: 23
Schedule date: 17 juni 2009
Schedule date offset: 0 days
Schedule table: disabled
Log interval: 15 s
Interval change: disabled
LEDs: enabled
Button: enabled
Security version: 0
Password: disabled, []

Alvast bedankt,

Hemmik

Op 17 jun 2009, om 15:57 heeft Michael Hofmann het volgende geschreven:

> Your question #74493 on igotu2gpx changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/igotu2gpx/+question/74493
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Michael Hofmann requested for more information:
> Hey, I also understand Dutch :-).
>
> Can you try to call "igotu2gpx dump --details" and see whether the
> points are visible there? And please also post the output of
> "igotu2gpx
> info".
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/igotu2gpx/+question/74493
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

Michael Hofmann (mh21) said : #3

Would it be possible to record some real coordinates, and then attach the windows gpx file, the output of "igotu2gpx dump --details" and the output of "igotu2gpx dump" to bug #381453?

Hemmik (hemmik) said : #4

Hi Michael,
The results I send you yesterday where the second time i tried the device.
The first time, it had several actual coordinates in it and it wasn't
working then either. When I logged again yesterday evening, and connected it
to my mac, everything worked like it should! I have no idea why it didn;t
work the first time but now it's all working fine! Thanks for your help! I'm
looking forward for future releases.

Regards,

Hemmik

2009/6/18 Michael Hofmann <email address hidden>

> Your question #74493 on igotu2gpx changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/igotu2gpx/+question/74493
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Michael Hofmann requested for more information:
> Would it be possible to record some real coordinates, and then attach
> the windows gpx file, the output of "igotu2gpx dump --details" and the
> output of "igotu2gpx dump" to bug #381453?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/igotu2gpx/+question/74493
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Michael Hofmann (mh21) said : #5

Ok, I changed the question status to solved. If you have further problems, please comment on bug #381453.

Dunstan (dunstan-gmail) said : #6

I think I have a similar issue. igotu2gpx says that there are trackpoints recorded (18 in this case), but the gpx file shows none.

S/N: 238352
Firmware version: 3.05
Model: GT-120
Number of trackpoints: 18
Schedule date: July 14, 2009
Schedule date offset: 0 days
Schedule table: disabled
Log interval: 6 s
Interval change: disabled
LEDs: enabled
Button: enabled
Security version: 0
Password: disabled, []

But the gpx file shows this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gpx xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd" creator="igotu2gpx" version="1.1">
    <trk>
        <trkseg>
        </trkseg>
    </trk>
</gpx>

Could it be that the device registers trackpoints when you push the button, but if it didn't have a signal at that point, it records no actual data?

Michael Hofmann (mh21) said : #7

Trackpoints in the device can be invalid (like having no coordinates etc.). I'm not completely sure when exactly points get recorded, but you can always get a complete list with igotu2gpx --details. The ignored datapoints shouldn't be of much use though, although in 0.2 igotu2gpx tends to throw away too many (no really many, just some that are a bit dubious).
In the current devel version, the algorithm to throw out trackpoints has been modified to behave exactly as the one from @trip PC.