ScanJet get to scan

Asked by Alan J. Greenberger

The AMD64 computer is currently running Debian Buster 10.6, 26 September 2020.
There have been four versions of Buster since then.

We very recently purchased a ScanJet Pro2500 f1 scanner

############
hp-check -t > /tmp/hp-check_t.txt 2> errorfile

hplip was upgraded from buster-backports to 3.2.9+dfsg0-4~bpo10+1

Strangely, the label on the box and the bottom ofthe ScanJet both say:
Serial No. UOO81A100Z and or UO081A100Z (can't tell Oh from zero)
but HP rejects either of these serial numbers. However, there was a Packing
List taped to the box which says:
SERIAL #s CN22RAC0DG and it accepts that serial number!

Product No is L2747A

lsusb shows:
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 03f0:6005 HP, Inc (012 # changes upon scanner restart)

sane-find-scanner:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x6005
 [HP ScanJet Pro 2500 f1]) at libusb:001:012 # changes upon scanner restart)

scanimage -L:
 No scanners were identified.
scanimage
 scanimage: no SANE devices found

Setting the Scan Shortcut button to Scan to PDF and pressing the Scan Button
 does nothing.

hp-scan -o /tmp/junk
 error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

Other:
 There was previously an Epson scanner on the machine, now gone. Could this be
 confusing the computer?

man hp-scan says: hp-scan [DEVICE_URI|PRINTER_NAME] [MODE] [OPTIONS]
 what should I be entering for the hp-scan command line?

What do I have to do to get scanning working?

Alan Greenberger
<email address hidden>

############
Content of errorfile:

warning: debian-10.6 version is not supported. Using debian-10.4 versions dependencies to verify and install...
warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for debian distro 10.6 version
warning: Could not access file: No such file or directory
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.
error: 'cups' package is missing or 'cups' service is not running.
error: 'libcups2' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libdbus-1-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libjpeg62-turbo-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcups2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libdbus-1-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libjpeg62-turbo-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcups2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'cups-bsd' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'cups-client' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcupsimage2' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcupsimage2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libc6' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libusb-1.0.0-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libsane-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libavahi-client-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libavahi-core-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libavahi-common-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libsnmp-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'snmp' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libssl-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'python3-pyqt4' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'gtk2-engines-pixbuf' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'python3-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libtool' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libtool-bin' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'g++' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'make' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'avahi-utils' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'python3-dbus.mainloop.qt' package is missing/incompatible

############
Here are some installed packages related to the errors above:
hplip: Installed: 3.20.9+dfsg0-4~bpo10-1
libc6: Installed: 2.28-10
libusb-1.0-0: Installed: 2:1.0.22-2
libsane: Installed: 1.0.27-3.2
libavahi-glib1: Installed: 0.7-4+b1
libavahi-common-data: Installed: 0.7-4+b1
libavahi-common3: Installed: 0.7-4+b1
libavahi-core7: Installed: 0.7-4+b1
libssl1.1: Installed: 1.1.1d-0+deb10u3
python3: Installed: 3.7.3-1
gtk2-engines-pixbuf: Installed: 2.24.32-3
python3: Installed: 3.7.3-1
python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5: Installed: 5.11.3+dfsg-1+b3
############
Content of /tmp/hp-check_t.txt:

Saving output in log file: /home/alan/hp-check.log

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.20.9)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 15.1

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Note: hp-check can be run in three modes:
1. Compile-time check mode (-c or --compile): Use this mode before compiling the
HPLIP supplied tarball (.tar.gz or .run) to determine if the proper dependencies
are installed to successfully compile HPLIP.
2. Run-time check mode (-r or --run): Use this mode to determine if a distro
supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc) or an already built HPLIP supplied tarball
has the proper dependencies installed to successfully run.
3. Both compile- and run-time check mode (-b or --both) (Default): This mode
will check both of the above cases (both compile- and run-time dependencies).

Check types:
a. EXTERNALDEP - External Dependencies
b. GENERALDEP - General Dependencies (required both at compile and run time)
c. COMPILEDEP - Compile time Dependencies
d. [All are run-time checks]
PYEXT SCANCONF QUEUES PERMISSION

Status Types:
    OK
    MISSING - Missing Dependency or Permission or Plug-in
    INCOMPAT - Incompatible dependency-version or Plugin-version

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

 Kernel: 4.19.0-11-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.146-1 (2020-09-17) GNU/Linux
 Host: dumky
 Proc: 4.19.0-11-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.146-1 (2020-09-17) GNU/Linux
 Distribution: debian 10.6
 Bitness: 64 bit

-----------------------
| HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
-----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.20.9
HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf. Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
version=3.20.9

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd/hplip
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip
html=/usr/share/doc/hplip-doc
icon=no
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/share/cups/drv
bin=/usr/bin
apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
libusb01-build=no
pp-build=no
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
hpijs-install=yes
foomatic-drv-install=yes
foomatic-ppd-install=no
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
hpcups-install=yes
cups-drv-install=yes
cups-ppd-install=no
internal-tag=3.20.9
restricted-build=no
ui-toolkit=qt5
qt3=no
qt4=no
qt5=yes
policy-kit=yes
lite-build=no
udev_sysfs_rules=no
hpcups-only-build=no
hpijs-only-build=no
apparmor_build=no
class-driver=no

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
Plugins are not installed. Could not access file: No such file or directory

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
 <Package-name> <Package-Desc> <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status> <Comment>

-------------------------
| External Dependencies |
-------------------------

 error: cups CUPS - Common Unix Printing System REQUIRED 1.1 - INCOMPAT 'CUPS may not be installed or not running'
 gs GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED 7.05 9.27 OK -
 xsane xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE OPTIONAL 0.9 0.999 OK -
 scanimage scanimage - Shell scanning program OPTIONAL 1.0 1.0.27 OK -
 error: dbus DBus - Message bus system REQUIRED - 1.12.20 MISSING 'DBUS may not be installed or not running'
 policykit PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework OPTIONAL - 0.105 OK -
 network network -wget OPTIONAL - 1.20.1 OK -
 error: avahi-utils avahi-utils OPTIONAL - - MISSING 'avahi-utils needs to be installed'

------------------------
| General Dependencies |
------------------------

 error: libjpeg libjpeg - JPEG library REQUIRED - - MISSING 'libjpeg needs to be installed'
 error: cups-devel CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files REQUIRED - - MISSING 'cups-devel needs to be installed'
 error: cups-image CUPS image - CUPS image development files REQUIRED - - MISSING 'cups-image needs to be installed'
 error: libpthread libpthread - POSIX threads library REQUIRED - b'2.28' MISSING 'libpthread needs to be installed'
 error: libusb libusb - USB library REQUIRED - 1.0 MISSING 'libusb needs to be installed'
 sane SANE - Scanning library REQUIRED - - OK -
 error: sane-devel SANE - Scanning library development files REQUIRED - - MISSING 'sane-devel needs to be installed'
 error: libavahi-dev libavahi-dev REQUIRED - - MISSING 'libavahi-dev needs to be installed'
 error: libnetsnmp-devel libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files REQUIRED 5.0.9 - MISSING 'libnetsnmp-devel needs to be installed'
 error: libcrypto libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library REQUIRED - 1.1.1 MISSING 'libcrypto needs to be installed'
 python3X Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language REQUIRED 2.2 3.7.3 OK -
 python3-notify2 Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL - - OK -
 error: python3-pyqt4-dbus PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4 OPTIONAL 4.0 - MISSING 'python3-pyqt4-dbus needs to be installed'
 error: python3-pyqt4 PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x) REQUIRED 4.0 - MISSING 'python3-pyqt4 needs to be installed'
 python3-dbus Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus REQUIRED 0.80.0 1.2.8 OK -
 python3-xml Python XML libraries REQUIRED - 2.2.6 OK -
 error: python3-devel Python devel - Python development files REQUIRED 2.2 3.7.3 MISSING 'python3-devel needs to be installed'
 python3-pil PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan) OPTIONAL - 5.4.1 OK -
 python3-reportlab Reportlab - PDF library for Python OPTIONAL 2.0 3.5.13 OK -

--------------
| COMPILEDEP |
--------------

 error: libtool libtool - Library building support services REQUIRED - - MISSING 'libtool needs to be installed'
 error: gcc gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler REQUIRED - - MISSING 'gcc needs to be installed'
 error: make make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs REQUIRED 3.0 - MISSING 'make needs to be installed'

---------------------
| Python Extentions |
---------------------

 cupsext CUPS-Extension REQUIRED - 3.20.9 OK -
 hpmudext IO-Extension REQUIRED - 3.20.9 OK -

----------------------
| Scan Configuration |
----------------------

'/etc/sane.d/dll.d/hpaio' not found.
 hpaio HPLIP-SANE-Backend REQUIRED - 3.20.9 OK 'hpaio found in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'
 scanext Scan-SANE-Extension REQUIRED - 3.20.9 OK -

------------------------------
| DISCOVERED SCANNER DEVICES |
------------------------------

No Scanner found.

--------------------------
| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |
--------------------------

No devices found.

---------------------------------
| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |
---------------------------------
Brother_HL-L2370DW_series
-------------------------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: usb://Brother/HL-L2370DW%20series?serial=U64965E9N989536
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Brother_HL-L2370DW_series.ppd
PPD Description: Brother HLL2370DW for CUPS
Printer status: printer Brother_HL-L2370DW_series is idle. enabled since Mon 21 Jun 2021 02:08:39 PM EDT

HL5450DN_archduke
-----------------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: ///dev/null

HLL2370DW
---------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: usb://dev/usb/lp0
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HLL2370DW.ppd
PPD Description: Brother HLL2370DW for CUPS
Printer status: printer HLL2370DW is idle. enabled since Fri 04 Jun 2021 11:30:32 AM EDT

HLL2370DW_archduke
------------------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: implicitclass://HLL2370DW_archduke/
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HLL2370DW_archduke.ppd
PPD Description: Remote printer: Brother HLL2370DW for CUPS
Printer status: printer HLL2370DW_archduke is idle. enabled since Mon 21 Jun 2021 03:42:51 PM EDT

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

-----------
| SUMMARY |
-----------

Missing Required Dependencies
-----------------------------

Missing Optional Dependencies
-----------------------------

Total Errors: 18
Total Warnings: 4

Done.

############
Here are some installed packages related to the MISSING above:
cups: Installed: 2.2.10-6+deb10-6+deb10u4
dbus: Installed: 1.12.20-0+deb10u1
libjpeg-turbo-progs: Installed: 1.5.2-2+deb10u1
libjpeg62-turbo: Installed: 1:1.5.2-2+b1
libusb-1.0-0: Installed: 2:1.0.22-2
libusbmuxd4: Installed: 1.1.0~git20181007.07a493a-1
libusb-0.1-4: Installed: 2:0.1.12-32
sane-utils: Installed: 1.0.27-3/2
python3-pyqt5: Installed: 5.11.3+dfsg-1+b3

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Expired
For:
HPLIP Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
Last reply:
Revision history for this message
brian_p (claremont102) said :
#1

> We very recently purchased a ScanJet Pro2500 f1 scanner

buster-backports has sane-airscan. Please install it and provide
the outputs of

  scanimage -L

and

  airscan-discover

TBH, I am not sure this will lead to successful scanning but it will
help to eliminate one avenue of exploration and would be very
useful to know.

Manfred Hampl dealt with the same device a year ago:

  https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/690958

Revision history for this message
brian_p (claremont102) said :
#2

Hello Alan,

I wasn't thinking very clearly. To test sane-airscan you will also
need ipp-usb. It isn't backported but can be obtained from

  https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/pzz/Debian_10/amd64/

Should things not work out, ipp-usb has to be purged to allow
libsane-hpaio to function.

Revision history for this message
Alan J. Greenberger (alanjg1) said :
#3

Brian,
I installed sane-airscan from buster-backports.
I had to download and install ipp-usb from debian bullseye.
###########
# apt-cache policy sane-airscan ipp-usb libsane-hpaio
sane-airscan:
   Installed: 0.99.19-1~bpo10+1
   Candidate: 0.99.19-1~bpo10+1
   Version table:
  *** 0.99.19-1~bpo10+1 100
         100 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports/main amd64
Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
ipp-usb:
   Installed: 0.9.17-3+b3
   Candidate: 0.9.17-3+b3
   Version table:
  *** 0.9.17-3+b3 100
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libsane-hpaio:
   Installed: 3.20.9+dfsg0-4~bpo10+1
   Candidate: 3.20.9+dfsg0-4~bpo10+1
   Version table:
  *** 3.20.9+dfsg0-4~bpo10+1 100
         100 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports/main amd64
Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      3.18.12+dfsg0-2 500
         500 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
###########
# scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
###########
# airscan-discover
[devices]
###########
So the installations did not fix anything.

Alan

On 6/23/21 7:30 AM, brian_p wrote:

Your question #697649 on HPLIP changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/697649

     Status: Open => Needs information

brian_p requested more information:

> We very recently purchased a ScanJet Pro2500 f1 scanner

buster-backports has sane-airscan. Please install it and provide
the outputs of

   scanimage -L

and

   airscan-discover

TBH, I am not sure this will lead to successful scanning but it will
help to eliminate one avenue of exploration and would be very
useful to know.

Manfred Hampl dealt with the same device a year ago:

   https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/690958

-- To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
this email or enter your reply at the following page:
https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/697649

On 6/23/21 8:05 AM, brian_p wrote:
> Your question #697649 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/697649
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> Hello Alan,
>
> I wasn't thinking very clearly. To test sane-airscan you will also
> need ipp-usb. It isn't backported but can be obtained from
>
> https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/pzz/Debian_10/amd64/
>
> Should things not work out, ipp-usb has to be purged to allow
> libsane-hpaio to function.
>

Revision history for this message
brian_p (claremont102) said :
#4

Thank very much for your investigations, Alan. I was hoping that the
device would do IPP-over-USB and be capable of WSD.

  https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
  https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork#wsd

The only success I have seen here with this ScanJet is at

  https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/690958

Maybe

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1847142
  https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/issues/150

can also help.

Revision history for this message
brian_p (claremont102) said :
#5

Thinking on. And kicking myself!

ipp-usb is not in buster-backports because it requires a patched
avahi-daemon to be exposed on localhost. However, if you have

  interface = all

in /etc/ipp-usb/ipp-usb.conf, sane-airscan should be able to connect.
Re-plug the device into USB and check the ipp-usb daemon is running:

  systemctl status ipp-usb

Revision history for this message
brian_p (claremont102) said :
#6

And, of course

   scanimage -L

and

   airscan-discover

Revision history for this message
Alan J. Greenberger (alanjg1) said :
#7

On 6/23/21 7:30 AM, brian_p wrote:
ipp-usb is not in buster-backports because it requires a patched
avahi-daemon to be exposed on localhost. However, if you have

   interface = all

in /etc/ipp-usb/ipp-usb.conf, sane-airscan should be able to connect.
Re-plug the device into USB and check the ipp-usb daemon is running:

   systemctl status ipp-usb
###############
# systemctl status ipp-usb
● ipp-usb.service - Daemon for IPP over USB printer support
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ipp-usb.service; static; vendor
preset: e
    Active: inactive (dead)
      Docs: man:ipp-usb(8)
lines 1-4/4 (END)
###############
I changed ipp-usb.conf to:
   #Was interface = loopback # all | loopback
   interface = all # all | loopback
###############
I replugged the USB.  No ipp-usb process is running.  Now
# systemctl status ipp-usb
● ipp-usb.service - Daemon for IPP over USB printer support
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ipp-usb.service; static; vendor
preset: e
    Active: inactive (dead)
      Docs: man:ipp-usb(8)
# scanimage -L
No scanners were identified.
# airscan-discover
[devices]

So nothing changed!

Alan

On 6/23/21 11:45 AM, brian_p wrote:
> Your question #697649 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/697649
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> And, of course
>
> scanimage -L
>
> and
>
> airscan-discover
>

Revision history for this message
brian_p (claremont102) said :
#8

> So nothing changed!

Unfortunate; sane-airscan is not our saviour! Maybe the plugin is.

Revision history for this message
Alan J. Greenberger (alanjg1) said :
#9

Brian,

What is the plugin?

There seems to be a problem with the ScanJet usb.
lsusb -v shows:
  Bus 001 Device 030: ID 03f0:6005 HP, Inc (030 changes every start)
the whole section is:
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceClass            9 Hub
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         1 Single TT
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0x1d6b Linux Foundation
   idProduct          0x0002 2.0 root hub
   bcdDevice            4.19
   iManufacturer           3
   iProduct                2
   iSerial                 1
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength       0x0019
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0xe0
       Self Powered
       Remote Wakeup
     MaxPower                0mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol      0 Full speed (or root) hub
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
         bInterval              12

But fdisk -l shows:
  Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168  sectors
  Disk model: WDC WD10EZEX-08W
  Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
  Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
  I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
  Disklabel type: gpt
  Disk identifier: AD818DEE-7A7B-4E80-8D46-7BF3A562456A

  Device          Start        End   Sectors   Size Type
  /dev/sda1        2048     534527    532480   260M EFI System
  /dev/sda2      534528    7813119   7278592   3.5G Linux swap
  /dev/sda3     7813120  203124735 195311616  93.1G Linux filesystem
  /dev/sda4   203124736  496093183 292968448 139.7G Linux filesystem
  /dev/sda5   496093184  789061631 292968448 139.7G Linux filesystem
  /dev/sda6   789061632 1179686911 390625280 186.3G Linux filesystem
  /dev/sda7  1179686912 1953523711 773836800   369G Linux filesystem
Nothing added for HP ScanJet

Also as I wrote before, I do not know the device name for the ScanJet.

hp-check -lerror gives:
  error: 'cups' package is missing or 'cups' service is not running.
  error: 'libcups2' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libdbus-1-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libjpeg62-turbo-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libcups2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'cups-bsd' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'cups-client' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libcupsimage2' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libcupsimage2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libc6' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libusb-1.0.0-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libsane-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libavahi-client-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libavahi-core-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libavahi-common-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libsnmp-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'snmp' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libssl-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'python3-pyqt4' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'gtk2-engines-pixbuf' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'python3-dev' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libtool' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'libtool-bin' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'g++' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'make' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'avahi-utils' package is missing/incompatible
  error: 'python3-dbus.mainloop.qt' package is missing/incompatible
All of:
  cups
  libcups2
  cups-bsd
  cups-client
  libcupsimage2
  libc6
  libsnmp-dev
  gtk2-engines-pixbuf
are installed.

hplip.conf shows:
# hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
version=3.20.9

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd/hplip
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip
html=/usr/share/doc/hplip-doc
icon=no
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/share/cups/drv
bin=/usr/bin
apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
libusb01-build=no
pp-build=no
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
hpijs-install=yes
foomatic-drv-install=yes
foomatic-ppd-install=no
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
hpcups-install=yes
cups-drv-install=yes
cups-ppd-install=no
internal-tag=3.20.9
restricted-build=no
ui-toolkit=qt5
qt3=no
qt4=no
qt5=yes
policy-kit=yes
lite-build=no
udev_sysfs_rules=no
hpcups-only-build=no
hpijs-only-build=no
apparmor_build=no
class-driver=no

###########
cat /etc/sane.d/dll.d/hplip
# dll.conf snippet for hplip
#

hpaio

###########
cat /etc/sane.d/dll.d/imagescan
#  imagescan -- dll.conf snippet

imagescan

###########
policy libsane-hpaio
libsane-hpaio:
   Installed: 3.20.9+dfsg0-4~bpo10+1

###########
There is a file, /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf which contains:
# /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf -- Image Scan configuration
# Refer to the documentation for details on the configuration options
# for the software.  Plugins should come with their own documentation
# if they have configuration options.
#
# Lines starting with a # or a ; are comments.  Comments must be on a
# line of their own.  End-of-line comments are not supported.

[devices]

; myscanner.udi    = esci:networkscan://192.168.0.2:1865
; myscanner.vendor = Epson

###########
The commented out Epson is what used to be on the machine.  It hasn't
been replaced by an HP device!

###########
I found that the file /etc/sane.d/hpconf had only:
# USB-scanners supported by the hp-backend                    (
# HP ScanJet 4100C                                            (
usb 0x03f0 0x0101                                             (
# HP ScanJet 5200C                                            (
usb 0x03f0 0x0401                                             (
# HP ScanJet 62X0C                                            (
usb 0x03f0 0x0201                                             (
# HP ScanJet 63X0C                                            (

I added the lines
  # HP ScanJet Pro2500 f1
usb 0x03f0 0x6005
pulled out the power and usb.  After restarting, it
scanimage -L still says
No scanners were identified

Any ideas?

Alan

On 6/23/21 2:55 PM, brian_p wrote:
> Your question #697649 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/697649
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
>> So nothing changed!
> Unfortunate; sane-airscan is not our saviour! Maybe the plugin is.
>

Revision history for this message
Alan J. Greenberger (alanjg1) said :
#10

Brian,

With scanner turned on,I tried typed
blkid
It showed an additional line:
  /dev/sda1 UUID="F1B1-2B46" TYPE "fat" PARTLABEL="uefi"
PARTUUID="47b566cb2-0e49-4803-9a/4-213d410fa3b6
I created directory /media/scanjet with rw all.
I added a line to /etc/fstab:
  UUID=F1B1-2B46 /media/scanjet vfat
users,owner,rw,umask=000,fmask=000,dmask=000 0 0
mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/F1B1-2B46 /media/scanjet
ls /mnt/scanjet says:
  'System Volume Information'
scanimage -L still says
  No scanners were identified

No luck.

Alan

On 6/25/21 2:53 PM, Alan Greenberger wrote:
> Brian,
>
> What is the plugin?
>
> There seems to be a problem with the ScanJet usb.
> lsusb -v shows:
>  Bus 001 Device 030: ID 03f0:6005 HP, Inc (030 changes every start)
> the whole section is:
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               2.00
>   bDeviceClass            9 Hub
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         1 Single TT
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x1d6b Linux Foundation
>   idProduct          0x0002 2.0 root hub
>   bcdDevice            4.19
>   iManufacturer           3
>   iProduct                2
>   iSerial                 1
>   bNumConfigurations      1
>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength       0x0019
>     bNumInterfaces          1
>     bConfigurationValue     1
>     iConfiguration          0
>     bmAttributes         0xe0
>       Self Powered
>       Remote Wakeup
>     MaxPower                0mA
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           1
>       bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
>       bInterfaceSubClass      0
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0 Full speed (or root) hub
>       iInterface              0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
>         bmAttributes            3
>           Transfer Type            Interrupt
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
>         bInterval              12
>
> But fdisk -l shows:
>  Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
>  Disk model: WDC WD10EZEX-08W
>  Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
>  Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
>  I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
>  Disklabel type: gpt
>  Disk identifier: AD818DEE-7A7B-4E80-8D46-7BF3A562456A
>
>  Device          Start        End   Sectors   Size Type
>  /dev/sda1        2048     534527    532480   260M EFI System
>  /dev/sda2      534528    7813119   7278592   3.5G Linux swap
>  /dev/sda3     7813120  203124735 195311616  93.1G Linux filesystem
>  /dev/sda4   203124736  496093183 292968448 139.7G Linux filesystem
>  /dev/sda5   496093184  789061631 292968448 139.7G Linux filesystem
>  /dev/sda6   789061632 1179686911 390625280 186.3G Linux filesystem
>  /dev/sda7  1179686912 1953523711 773836800   369G Linux filesystem
> Nothing added for HP ScanJet
>
> Also as I wrote before, I do not know the device name for the ScanJet.
>
> hp-check -lerror gives:
>  error: 'cups' package is missing or 'cups' service is not running.
>  error: 'libcups2' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libdbus-1-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libjpeg62-turbo-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libcups2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'cups-bsd' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'cups-client' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libcupsimage2' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libcupsimage2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libc6' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libusb-1.0.0-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libsane-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libavahi-client-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libavahi-core-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libavahi-common-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libsnmp-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'snmp' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libssl-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'python3-pyqt4' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'gtk2-engines-pixbuf' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'python3-dev' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libtool' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'libtool-bin' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'g++' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'make' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'avahi-utils' package is missing/incompatible
>  error: 'python3-dbus.mainloop.qt' package is missing/incompatible
> All of:
>  cups
>  libcups2
>  cups-bsd
>  cups-client
>  libcupsimage2
>  libc6
>  libsnmp-dev
>  gtk2-engines-pixbuf
> are installed.
>
> hplip.conf shows:
> # hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.
>
> [hplip]
> version=3.20.9
>
> [dirs]
> home=/usr/share/hplip
> run=/var/run
> ppd=/usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP
> ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd/hplip
> doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip
> html=/usr/share/doc/hplip-doc
> icon=no
> cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
> cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
> drv=/usr/share/cups/drv
> bin=/usr/bin
> apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
> # Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be
> changed.
> [configure]
> network-build=yes
> libusb01-build=no
> pp-build=no
> gui-build=yes
> scanner-build=yes
> fax-build=yes
> dbus-build=yes
> cups11-build=no
> doc-build=yes
> shadow-build=no
> hpijs-install=yes
> foomatic-drv-install=yes
> foomatic-ppd-install=no
> foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
> hpcups-install=yes
> cups-drv-install=yes
> cups-ppd-install=no
> internal-tag=3.20.9
> restricted-build=no
> ui-toolkit=qt5
> qt3=no
> qt4=no
> qt5=yes
> policy-kit=yes
> lite-build=no
> udev_sysfs_rules=no
> hpcups-only-build=no
> hpijs-only-build=no
> apparmor_build=no
> class-driver=no
>
> ###########
> cat /etc/sane.d/dll.d/hplip
> # dll.conf snippet for hplip
> #
>
> hpaio
>
> ###########
> cat /etc/sane.d/dll.d/imagescan
> #  imagescan -- dll.conf snippet
>
> imagescan
>
> ###########
> policy libsane-hpaio
> libsane-hpaio:
>   Installed: 3.20.9+dfsg0-4~bpo10+1
>
> ###########
> There is a file, /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf which contains:
> # /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf -- Image Scan configuration
> # Refer to the documentation for details on the configuration options
> # for the software.  Plugins should come with their own documentation
> # if they have configuration options.
> #
> # Lines starting with a # or a ; are comments.  Comments must be on a
> # line of their own.  End-of-line comments are not supported.
>
> [devices]
>
> ; myscanner.udi    = esci:networkscan://192.168.0.2:1865
> ; myscanner.vendor = Epson
>
> ###########
> The commented out Epson is what used to be on the machine.  It hasn't
> been replaced by an HP device!
>
> ###########
> I found that the file /etc/sane.d/hpconf had only:
> # USB-scanners supported by the hp-backend                    (
> # HP ScanJet 4100C                                            (
> usb 0x03f0 0x0101                                             (
> # HP ScanJet 5200C                                            (
> usb 0x03f0 0x0401                                             (
> # HP ScanJet 62X0C                                            (
> usb 0x03f0 0x0201                                             (
> # HP ScanJet 63X0C                                            (
>
> I added the lines
>  # HP ScanJet Pro2500 f1
> usb 0x03f0 0x6005
> pulled out the power and usb.  After restarting, it
> scanimage -L still says
> No scanners were identified
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Alan
>
> On 6/23/21 2:55 PM, brian_p wrote:
>> Your question #697649 on HPLIP changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/697649
>>
>> brian_p posted a new comment:
>>> So nothing changed!
>> Unfortunate; sane-airscan is not our saviour! Maybe the plugin is.
>>
>

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) said :
#11

This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state without activity for the last 15 days.

Revision history for this message
Alan J. Greenberger (alanjg1) said :
#12

I was away for a few weeks.  Since being back, I worked on it again.  In
someone's web page, I found a solution which worked:

My linux debian buster has
apt-cache policy hplip
Installed: 3.20.9+dfsg0-4~bpo10+1
so I downloaded
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/plugins/hplip-3.20.9-plugin.run
to
/tmp/hplip-3.20.9-plugin.run
and installed the plugin with
hp-plugin -i -p /tmp/hplip-3.20.9-plugin.run
Then running
###########
#! /bin/bash

hp="$(lsusb | grep 'HP,')"
bus=$(echo $hp |sed 's/[^ ]* *\([0-9]*\) .*/\1/')
dev=$(echo $hp |sed 's/.*Device \([0-9]*\)\:.*/\1/')
if [ "$bus" == "" ]
then
     echo "No HP,  turn on scanner"
     exit
fi
device=hpgt2500:libusb:$bus:$dev
scanimage -d $device --format jpeg > /tmp/scanimg.jpg
###########
the ScanJet Pro 2500 f1 actually scans!
scanimage works, but hp-scan and xsane do not work!

None of the things I previously tried including the suggestions from HP
worked.
And I spent a LOT of time trying things unsuccessfully.
I don't understand why HP couldn't have informed me about their
hplip-3.20.9-plugin.run which was the solution.

Alan

On 7/12/21 4:55 AM, Launchpad Janitor wrote:
> Your question #697649 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/697649
>
> Status: Open => Expired
>
> Launchpad Janitor expired the question:
> This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state
> without activity for the last 15 days.
>

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) said :
#13

This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state without activity for the last 15 days.