Xsane: Failed to start scanner: invalid argument

Asked by Mao Mao Mao on 2020-05-05

Hello,
Skanlite doesn't even open and it says: "Sorry, no devices found"
Document scanner: opens, recognises my HP2543 but it doesn't scan and it says: Failed to scan. Unable to connect to scanner.
Xsane opens after a while and and after making the scanner scan (noise included) and being able to see the preview it says: Failed to start scanner. Invalid argument.
I've been 2 weeks with Ubuntu 20 and today I've spent 5h trying to do this with some success (managing to actually see the xsane windows) but I haven't managed to get the scan producing an image to save. I'm trying to learn but I'm finally here writing to you. I'm 40 and I think it is the first time in my life tha I write a message for help doing something. I hope somebody can help me.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
HPLIP Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2020-05-06
Last reply:
2020-05-15
brian_p (claremont102) said : #1

I am going to assume you have an HP Deskjet 2543 and that you are
using Ubuntu 20.04. Is that correct?

First you need to connect the device to the network, Then get a terminal
and execute

  scanimage -L

Post the output here.

Brian.

Mao Mao Mao (maoscorpion) said : #2

Hello Brian, thank you for replying so quickly. Two perhaps silly questions, (you'll excuse me, I'm just a "brave" normal user that manages to do many things with tutorials but I'm not an IT guy) to say the "network" is the same as to say the internet, right? When you say get "a" terminal means that there are more than one terminals in Ubuntu?

scanimage -L

device `escl:http://127.0.0.1:60000' is a ESCL Deskjet 2540 series [CN4CI5F2DX0604] flatbed scanner
device `hpaio:/usb/Deskjet_2540_series?serial=CN4CI5F2DX0604' is a Hewlett-Packard Deskjet_2540_series all-in-one

Mauricio

brian_p (claremont102) said : #3

> Hello Brian, thank you for replying so quickly. Two perhaps silly
> questions, (you'll excuse me, I'm just a "brave" normal user that
> manages to do many things with tutorials but I'm not an IT guy)
> to say the "network" is the same as to say the internet, right?
> When you say get "a" terminal means that there are more than one terminals in Ubuntu?

Hello Mauricio,

There aren't any "silly questions".

By "First you need to connect the device to the network" I meant
connect by wireless (or ethernet). This is the local network, not
the remote (internet) network.

When I said "...get a terminal...", I was trying to be helpful. Some
users do not realise a terminal is normal on Ubuntu. Use
whatever you usually use.

Your scanimage -L output is for a USB connection. USB does not
appear to work for you with xsane or skanlite. How about
simple-scan?

It really would be best to connect by wireless (it is less work for
me!). The device's control) panel should help to do this.

Brian.

Mao Mao Mao (maoscorpion) said : #4

Ok, thanks Brian.

Isn't that Simple Scan that you mention Document Scanner, the one that comes with Ubuntu in the Utilities bunch of programs? If it's that one I was saying in my first post that it didn't work but now it does after following your advice of connecting the printer in wireless. I tried to connect it to the router but I'm not sure if I managed it (WPS button). I believe I am connecting to the printer directly as I do it from the "Settings"/"Wifi" window and I have to disconnect the connection to the internet wifi when I do that. What do you mean with the "devices control panel"? At the bottom left I have the 9 square points where I access to all programs but I don't see devices.

So now I can scan, which is great, but the situation is the same as in the beginning of the post with Skanlite and Xsane. I could get by with Document Scanner but to repair those two perhaps could mean to repair things that I messed in the terminal trying to get it to print and scan. One of those things could be the reason behind the fact that the printer doesn’t print now (it did at some point yesterday).

scanimage -L
device `escl:http://192.168.223.1:8080' is a ESCL Deskjet 2540 series [5311D5] flatbed scanner

Mauricio

Anam Alam (anam03) said : #5

Hi Mao,

Can you follow below steps for xsane:

1.)px -aux | grep ippusbxd [To check whether the ippusbxd process is running or not ]
2.)sudo kill -9 PID
3.)cd /usr/lib/udev/rules.d
4.)sudo mv 55-ippusbxd.rules /home/apex/
5.) sudo service udev restart
7.) Restart printer
8.)select the device with hpaio:net or hpaio:usb options

And you can download the latest hplip 3.20.5 with Ubuntu 20.04 support

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Mao Mao Mao for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.