need binary plugin for Linux Mint for LaserJet M1522nf

Asked by Steven Artigas on 2019-12-01

Trying to install LaserJer M1522nf on Linux Mint Mate 19.2 OS. Installer in Terminal shows binary plugin needed to enable full function of this multi-function printer. Printer installed on LAN with separate IP address. Cannot find this plugin- need source.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Expired
For:
HPLIP Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2019-12-23
Last reply:
2020-01-08

This question was reopened

brian_p (claremont102) said : #1

Be prepared to be amazed. Read back a few posts.

--
Brian.

Steven Artigas (slowpoke47) said : #2

Hi, brian- not sure what you mean- I looked at those posts earlier and seems like others have this problem but no answers.

My Mint install included hplip v.3.17.10, automatically installed when printer was turned on. I'm sure you recall my voluminous thread on the Mint forum. Today I downloaded and installed the most recent v.3.19.11, went thru a long dialog in Terminal- all good except error message re lack of plugin, see attachments. When I looked in Pkg Mgr, the original version shows as installed, not the replacement, even though I removed the old one before I started.

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, at 1:27 PM, brian_p wrote:
> Your question #686447 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> brian_p proposed the following answer:
> Be prepared to be amazed. Read back a few posts.
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #3

Hello Steven,

The post just before yours;

  Try downloading the plugin from

  https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/plugins

  and installing it with

  sh hplip-3.19.11-plugin.run

Am i misunderstanding something you are saying?

--
Brian.

Steven Artigas (slowpoke47) said : #4

Thanks for responding.

That link looks promising- but as mentioned, even though I removed v,3.17.10 before starting the v.3.19.11 download/install, and even though the new version is named in the terminal during installation, when I checked in Pkg Mgr afterwards, the old version, 3.17.10, shows as the one installed. Also, during the install, the system detected and asked permission to remove v.3.19.8, which I accepted.

Your link shows the oldest version of the plugin as 3.17.11- two entries, one with .asc at the end. Do you think I should try either of those, and, if so, which one?

BTW, I'm a little better with terminal commands that earlier this year, when I drove you up a tree (sorry!).

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, at 3:37 PM, brian_p wrote:
> Your question #686447 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> Hello Steven,
>
> The post just before yours;
>
> Try downloading the plugin from
>
> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/plugins
>
> and installing it with
>
> sh hplip-3.19.11-plugin.run
>
> Am i misunderstanding something you are saying?
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

shivani mandora (shivani1708) said : #5

Hi Steven,

Looks like you have plugin and run file version mismatch.
Please install hplip-3.19.11 from the HPLIP portal and install plugin file with 3.19.11 from the below link:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/plugins

install it in your system using sh command.

Plugin are required to use scan functionality. If you still face any issue after this please let me know.

Steven Artigas (slowpoke47) said : #6

Thanks for responding. I have tried at least twice to install the files you mention. Since, as a new Mint user, I didn't know the terminal command to use, I started the installs by double-clicking on the downloaded files. Each time, the result was an error message, see attachment.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, at 2:28 AM, shivani mandora wrote:
> Your question #686447 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> shivani mandora proposed the following answer:
> Hi Steven,
>
> Looks like you have plugin and run file version mismatch.
> Please install hplip-3.19.11 from the HPLIP portal and install plugin file with 3.19.11 from the below link:
>
> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/plugins
>
> install it in your system using sh command.
>
> Plugin are required to use scan functionality. If you still face any
> issue after this please let me know.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447/+confirm?answer_id=4
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

shivani mandora (shivani1708) said : #7

Hi ,

Can you please let me know the exact issue you are facing while running the plugin file?

Steven Artigas (slowpoke47) said : #8

Still beating myself up with this all-in-one printer install. No problem installing either the repo version or the current (from HP) version driver pkg . The snag remains getting the scan function enabled, which requires a matching plugin. No such is available for the repo file, and the installation of the plugin for the newest file apparently does not complete.

Perhaps someone can answer these questions

     On this download page, what are the .asc entries for? https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/plugins
     What are the chances that, with newer drivers, HP would drop older printers from the list of supported devices?
    Where might I look for previous (older) drivers?
    The plugin for the latest driver pkg appears to do a partial install and generates conflicting installed/ not installed messages. Does that seem like a computer problem or related to the specific printer?

Steven Artigas (slowpoke47) said : #9

The underlying problem has proven to be that the page of plugin downloads provided does not actually have anything to download from the .run.asc entries. The installer, via an error message, tells me that this format is required. Looks to me like this is a dead end. Thanks to those who replied!

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019, at 8:22 AM, Steven Artigas wrote:
> Your question #686447 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> Thanks for responding. I have tried at least twice to install the files
> you mention. Since, as a new Mint user, I didn't know the terminal
> command to use, I started the installs by double-clicking on the
> downloaded files. Each time, the result was an error message, see
> attachment.
>
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, at 2:28 AM, shivani mandora wrote:
> > Your question #686447 on HPLIP changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
> >
> > Status: Open => Answered
> >
> > shivani mandora proposed the following answer:
> > Hi Steven,
> >
> > Looks like you have plugin and run file version mismatch.
> > Please install hplip-3.19.11 from the HPLIP portal and install plugin file with 3.19.11 from the below link:
> >
> > https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/plugins
> >
> > install it in your system using sh command.
> >
> > Plugin are required to use scan functionality. If you still face any
> > issue after this please let me know.
> >
> > --
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > know that it is solved:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447/+confirm?answer_id=4
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
> >
> > You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> >
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Steven Artigas (slowpoke47) said : #10

Thanks for responding. The difficulty I am having seems to be inconsistent, but the common issue is that I have been unable to install the drivers and binary plugin for this printer. If/when I can specifically define the problem, I'll post back. From an internet search it looks like many others have a problem with these hplip installs as well.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019, at 2:02 AM, shivani mandora wrote:
> Your question #686447 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> shivani mandora proposed the following answer:
> Hi ,
>
> Can you please let me know the exact issue you are facing while running
> the plugin file?
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447/+confirm?answer_id=6
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Steven Artigas (slowpoke47) said : #11

Currently hplip-3.19.12 installed successfully. However, companion plugin for this driver cannot be installed by system, either directly via Terminal or via Terminal using downloaded file from HP Developer's Portal.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, at 10:09 AM, Steven Artigas wrote:
> Thanks for responding. The difficulty I am having seems to be inconsistent, but the common issue is that I have been unable to install the drivers and binary plugin for this printer. If/when I can specifically define the problem, I'll post back. From an internet search it looks like many others have a problem with these hplip installs as well.
>
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019, at 2:02 AM, shivani mandora wrote:
>> Your question #686447 on HPLIP changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>>
>> Status: Open => Answered
>>
>> shivani mandora proposed the following answer:
>> Hi ,
>>
>> Can you please let me know the exact issue you are facing while running
>> the plugin file?
>>
>> --
>> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
>> know that it is solved:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447/+confirm?answer_id=6
>>
>> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
>> following page to enter your feedback:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>>
>> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>>
>

Steven Artigas (slowpoke47) said : #12

Please mark this question as solved, thank you!

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019, at 9:08 PM, Steven Artigas wrote:
> Your question #686447 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
>
> You gave more information on the question:
> Currently hplip-3.19.12 installed successfully. However, companion
> plugin for this driver cannot be installed by system, either directly
> via Terminal or via Terminal using downloaded file from HP Developer's
> Portal.
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, at 10:09 AM, Steven Artigas wrote:
> > Thanks for responding. The difficulty I am having seems to be inconsistent, but the common issue is that I have been unable to install the drivers and binary plugin for this printer. If/when I can specifically define the problem, I'll post back. From an internet search it looks like many others have a problem with these hplip installs as well.
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 11, 2019, at 2:02 AM, shivani mandora wrote:
> >> Your question #686447 on HPLIP changed:
> >> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
> >>
> >> Status: Open => Answered
> >>
> >> shivani mandora proposed the following answer:
> >> Hi ,
> >>
> >> Can you please let me know the exact issue you are facing while running
> >> the plugin file?
> >>
> >> --
> >> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> >> know that it is solved:
> >> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447/+confirm?answer_id=6
> >>
> >> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> >> following page to enter your feedback:
> >> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/686447
> >>
> >> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> >>
> >
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) said : #13

This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state without activity for the last 15 days.