My HP OfficeJet 5255 printer stopped working

Asked by Elissa Cottle on 2019-10-24

My HP OfficeJet 5255 printer was working for several months, as I requested by Linux computer to print documents.

Suddenly the printer is not responding to the print requests.

My computer shows the document on my PC screen when I hit "print" but the printer doesn't actually print.

How can I get the printer to be linked to my computer again?

I believe it's a "wireless" printer - meaning there are no cables between the printer and computer, there's only a plug-in cord to my regular outlet for plug ins.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Expired
For:
HPLIP Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2019-10-26
Last reply:
2019-11-11
shivani mandora (shivani1708) said : #1

Hi,

HP Officejet 5255 is not supported by HPLIP. Hence it is not working for you.

brian_p (claremont102) said : #2

Elissa - your printer is AirPrint enabled so

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSQuickPrintQueues

should work for you. Please let us know how you go on.

--
Brian.

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #3

Hi Brian - Thank you for sending me this link! However, I don't have the
tech knowledge to understand how to apply the information in the link. The
printer was successfully connected by a technician to my Linux computer and
working well and now apparently the connection was disconnected somehow.
What I'm needing is a step-by-step instruction in layman's terms of how to
reconnect the printer to communicate with my computer. I've tried shutting
down both my computer and printer and rebooting them but that doesn't seem
to have worked. Can you help me with this? Thank you! Elissa

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 10:51 AM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> brian_p proposed the following answer:
> Elissa - your printer is AirPrint enabled so
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSQuickPrintQueues
>
> should work for you. Please let us know how you go on.
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392/+confirm?answer_id=1
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #4

Hello Elissa,

If a techician originally set up printing for you, why can she not do the same with the information I have given. It isn't too hard.

I understand your point about not having the tech knowledge, but what is in the link I gave you is as simple as it gets.

For a printer on the network, which you appear to have, edit that one line in the cups-browsed.conf file and restart the cups-browsed service.

Exactly what distribution are you using?

--
Brian.

brian_p (claremont102) said : #5

An answer to the previous post would be appreciated but there is another approach to your problem. It depends on the distribution being used.

--
Brian.

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #6

I don't know what "distribution" means in this context.

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 2:22 PM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> An answer to the previous post would be appreciated but there is another
> approach to your problem. It depends on the distribution being used.
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #7

What is you Linux operating system? Debian, Ubuntu etc?

--
Brian.

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #8

I don't know. I was given the computer. Is there a way for me to find which
operating system in my "applications" drop down? I looked through it but
did not come across Debian or Ubuntu. "GKrellM System Monitor" popped up
which I clicked on "systems" from the applications list.

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 4:47 PM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> What is you Linux operating system? Debian, Ubuntu etc?
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #9

I clicked on the "cups-browsed" link but did not find "cups-browsed.conf
file" and could not decipher the information to figure out how to restart
the cups-browsed service.

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 1:43 PM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> Hello Elissa,
>
> If a techician originally set up printing for you, why can she not do
> the same with the information I have given. It isn't too hard.
>
> I understand your point about not having the tech knowledge, but what is
> in the link I gave you is as simple as it gets.
>
> For a printer on the network, which you appear to have, edit that one
> line in the cups-browsed.conf file and restart the cups-browsed service.
>
> Exactly what distribution are you using?
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #10

Not knowing the OS and how old it is doesn't help; I am now reduuced to guessing.

Open a terminal, type 'driverless' and press the ENTER key. What output do you get?

--
Brian.

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #11

This is what I got:
 driverless
ERROR: Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory
[elissa@cutie ~]$

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 4:42 AM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> Not knowing the OS and how old it is doesn't help; I am now reduuced to
> guessing.
>
> Open a terminal, type 'driverless' and press the ENTER key. What output
> do you get?
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #12

> driverless
> ERROR: Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory

If the driverless command was not on your system you would have got
"command not found". So, this is good news because the presence of
the command indicates a reasonably modern system.

The bad news is that driverless cannot work without ippfind and advice
on how to get ippfind is not possible without knowing your operarting
system. Surely there is some indication of what it is when you start the
machine?

--
Brian.

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #13

I shut down the computer and when I rebooted it up, the terms American
Megatrends and Fedora, 28, and other code quickly appeared on the screen
briefly before it went to the window for me to login. The screen with
Fedora and code disappeared before I was able to read anymore.
I just googled Fedora and it is a Linux operating system. Can you guide me
now that I've identified my OS? Thank you!

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 8:43 AM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> brian_p requested more information:
> > driverless
> > ERROR: Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory
>
> If the driverless command was not on your system you would have got
> "command not found". So, this is good news because the presence of
> the command indicates a reasonably modern system.
>
> The bad news is that driverless cannot work without ippfind and advice
> on how to get ippfind is not possible without knowing your operarting
> system. Surely there is some indication of what it is when you start the
> machine?
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #14

Hello again Elissa,

Thank you for doing that.

I use Debian, which employs a completely different packaging system. Broadly
speaking, the contents of the packages on both OSs will be similar, but I have
no real idea how to get and install a Fedora package. I do not even know the
name of the package that ippfind is in (cups-ipptool, perhaps).

I am afraid you are by yourself here when it comes to finding and installing Fedora
packages. I hope you understand.

Ok, one final try to get the information we need to set up the printer. Does the
command below give you anything?

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #15

This is what I got: bash: avahi-browse: command not found...
Install package 'avahi-tools' to provide command 'avahi-browse'? [N/y]

Do you think I should say yes? I'm concerned I might mess up my computer.
Should I find a local technician to help me?

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 11:27 AM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> brian_p requested more information:
> Hello again Elissa,
>
> Thank you for doing that.
>
> I use Debian, which employs a completely different packaging system.
> Broadly
> speaking, the contents of the packages on both OSs will be similar, but I
> have
> no real idea how to get and install a Fedora package. I do not even know
> the
> name of the package that ippfind is in (cups-ipptool, perhaps).
>
> I am afraid you are by yourself here when it comes to finding and
> installing Fedora
> packages. I hope you understand.
>
> Ok, one final try to get the information we need to set up the printer.
> Does the
> command below give you anything?
>
> avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #16

Say "yes". It will not mess up your computer.

--
Brian.

brian_p (claremont102) said : #17

You could also try the command

ippfind -t 5

to see whether ithe OS will offer to install it for you.

--
Brian.

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #18

Nothing happened when I tried that.
I also tried clicking Y for yes and typing the whole word yes and after
both of those attempts, the letter y appeared repeatedly down one entire
column down the left of the screen.

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 12:23 PM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> You could also try the command
>
> ippfind -t 5
>
> to see whether ithe OS will offer to install it for you.
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #19

You originally had:

> avahi-browse: command not found...
> Install package 'avahi-tools' to provide command 'avahi-browse'? [N/y]

Pressing the "y" key (maybe followed by pressing the ENTER key) should be
good enough to install avahi-tools.

But it doesn't. As I said, I am not prepared to debug package management
on a Fedora system.

Let's try to get the needed information with

lpinfo -v

--
Brian.

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #20

I got: lpinfo: Forbidden

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:13 PM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> brian_p requested more information:
> You originally had:
>
> > avahi-browse: command not found...
> > Install package 'avahi-tools' to provide command 'avahi-browse'? [N/y]
>
> Pressing the "y" key (maybe followed by pressing the ENTER key) should be
> good enough to install avahi-tools.
>
> But it doesn't. As I said, I am not prepared to debug package management
> on a Fedora system.
>
> Let's try to get the needed information with
>
> lpinfo -v
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #21

Try

/usr/sbin/lpinfo -v

--
Brian.

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #22

Also got: lpinfo: Forbidden

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:38 PM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> Try
>
> /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #23

I do not know how Fedora works. Both lpinfo commands would work on
Debian.

Try

sudo /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v

Do you know the root (the administrator) password?

--
Brian.

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #24

This might be getting somewhere.
I got:
We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

    #1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.
[sudo] password for elissa:

But I don't have my administrator password. I'm going to try to get that.
Thank you for hanging in there with me!

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 2:03 PM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> I do not know how Fedora works. Both lpinfo commands would work on
> Debian.
>
> Try
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
>
> Do you know the root (the administrator) password?
>
> --
> Brian.
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #25

>

Try the usual password that you log in with.

--
Brian

Elissa Cottle (crackpoet1) said : #26

I tried that but it didn't work. I left a message with the person who gave
me the computer.

*Elissa Cottle*

*Master of Fine Arts in Writing*
*Editing & Writing Services *
*Creative Writing Classes & Retreats*
*www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com <http://www.ArtfulBusinessWriting.com>*
*612-925-2249*

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 2:53 PM brian_p <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #685392 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/685392
>
> brian_p posted a new comment:
> >
>
> Try the usual password that you log in with.
>
> --
> Brian
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) said : #27

This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state without activity for the last 15 days.