trying to install hplip on terminal but it won't accept my root password

Asked by Pierre on 2019-07-11

trying to install hplip on terminal but it won't accept my root password. Like so:
ENTER ROOT/SUPERUSER PASSWORD
-----------------------------
Please enter the root/superuser password:
error: Password incorrect. 2 attempt(s) left.
Please enter the root/superuser password:

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Open
For:
HPLIP Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2019-07-18
Last reply:
2019-07-18
shivani mandora (shivani1708) said : #1

Hi Pierre,

Can yoy please let me know the details of the distro used by you?

Thanks.
Shivani

Pierre (pkawak) said : #2

Yes, I'm sorry. I have Ubuntu 18.04 on a dell computer.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:03 AM shivani mandora <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #681978 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> shivani mandora proposed the following answer:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> Can yoy please let me know the details of the distro used by you?
>
> Thanks.
> Shivani
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Hi Pierre,

Can you please install latest driver and check.
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing

Regards,
Manchikanti Santhosh

Pierre (pkawak) said : #4

I've already tried this unfortunately

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:27 PM Santhosh Manchikanti <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #681978 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Santhosh Manchikanti proposed the following answer:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> Can you please install latest driver and check.
> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
>
> Regards,
> Manchikanti Santhosh
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Pierre (pkawak) said : #5

Do you want to get on teamviewer with me?

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:27 PM Santhosh Manchikanti <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #681978 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Santhosh Manchikanti proposed the following answer:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> Can you please install latest driver and check.
> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing
>
> Regards,
> Manchikanti Santhosh
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #6

As a basic check whether the administrator functions work:
Which output do you receive when you open a terminal window and execute the command

sudo id

Most probably there will be a request to enter your password as confirmation, and when you type it, you will not see any feedback (no echo, not even '*' placeholders), just 'blind' type your password and press the enter key.

Pierre (pkawak) said : #7

That works. Gives me a prompt:
[sudo] password for pierrekawak:
When I input my password:
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

Hope that's what you wanted.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 10:08 AM Manfred Hampl <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #681978 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Manfred Hampl requested more information:
> As a basic check whether the administrator functions work:
> Which output do you receive when you open a terminal window and execute
> the command
>
> sudo id
>
> Most probably there will be a request to enter your password as
> confirmation, and when you type it, you will not see any feedback (no
> echo, not even '*' placeholders), just 'blind' type your password and
> press the enter key.
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #8

When you install hplip, you should get a similar request to enter your password.
Just do the same there.

Pierre (pkawak) said : #9

As I said, I've done that but it won't take my password

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:12 PM Manfred Hampl <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #681978 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Manfred Hampl proposed the following answer:
> When you install hplip, you should get a similar request to enter your
> password.
> Just do the same there.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978/+confirm?answer_id=7
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/681978
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #10

Please re-try the installation, and in case that it fails again, copy/paste all output into this question document.

Pierre (pkawak) said : #11

Please enter the root/superuser password:
error: Password incorrect. 2 attempt(s) left.
Please enter the root/superuser password:
error: Password incorrect. 1 attempt(s) left.
Please enter the root/superuser password:
error: Aborted.

I am running installation with sudo

Pierre (pkawak) said : #12

At the end it just gave me this message :( =
error: hp-systray cannot be run as root. Exiting.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Pierre for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.