Can not open python from the GnoMenu

Asked by Frogs Hair on 2010-08-28

I am unable to open python or other shells from menu-xdg with the GnoMenu in Ubuntu 10.04 . Why not ?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
GnoMenu Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2010-09-02
Last reply:
2010-09-16
technoshaun (shaun-marolf) said : #1

Okay make sure you have all dependencies and recommend files installed.

* Depends:

python
python-xdg
python-cairo
python-gtk2 - that includes pygtk and python-pango
python-gnomeapplet *** necessary only when running on gnome-panel *** - or in some distros "python gnome desktop"
python-xml - may be needed in older distributions (eg: ubuntu before karmic)

* Recomends:

gmenu - will use this instead of xdg if it is installed
python-numpy - for gtk theme colors and some tab effects
python-gconf - or in some distros "python gnome"
python-keybinder or python-xlib - for keybinding
gettext - for translations

Frogs Hair (detaill) said : #2

All dependencies that apply to Ubuntu 10.04 listed in the reply are in place . I will attempt reinstalling the GnoMenu.

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #123152]: Can not open python from the GnoMenu
> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:30:14 +0000
>
> Your question #123152 on GnoMenu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/gnomenu/+question/123152
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> technoshaun proposed the following answer:
> Okay make sure you have all dependencies and recommend files installed.
>
> * Depends:
>
> python
> python-xdg
> python-cairo
> python-gtk2 - that includes pygtk and python-pango
> python-gnomeapplet *** necessary only when running on gnome-panel *** - or in some distros "python gnome desktop"
> python-xml - may be needed in older distributions (eg: ubuntu before karmic)
>
> * Recomends:
>
> gmenu - will use this instead of xdg if it is installed
> python-numpy - for gtk theme colors and some tab effects
> python-gconf - or in some distros "python gnome"
> python-keybinder or python-xlib - for keybinding
> gettext - for translations
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/gnomenu/+question/123152/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/gnomenu/+question/123152
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

technoshaun (shaun-marolf) said : #3

Also make sure you add recommends as well. If you still have the problem try changing the command used in GnoMenu preferences.

Frogs Hair (detaill) said : #4

After checking to see that a dependencies were in place I removed an installed the GnoMenu and was still unable to open python. Later I discovered that when my AWN dock was deactivated that I was able to open python from the GnoMenu. I am using the AWN testing ppa
so I suspect a conflict.

I am able to use python from the GnoMenu by typing python into the Gnome Terminal . Consider the question answered and thank you for responding . The AWN ppa is not an officially supported package and that makes this my problem.

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: RE: [Question #123152]: Can not open python from the GnoMenu
> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:11:30 +0000
>
> Your question #123152 on GnoMenu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/gnomenu/+question/123152
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> technoshaun proposed the following answer:
> Also make sure you add recommends as well. If you still have the problem
> try changing the command used in GnoMenu preferences.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/gnomenu/+question/123152/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/gnomenu/+question/123152
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

technoshaun (shaun-marolf) said : #5

Using unstable version of AWN possible cont6rol conflict