How can I identify the name of a running application?
How can I identify the name, command or PID of a running desktop application? Is it possible at all?
I tried opening top in gnome-terminal but the list of running applications is very long. Is there a way to identify a running application by pointing and clicking at it or is there another clever way?
Or is the only option to:
1. Use top or htop and look for something familiar
2. Look for the icon in the menus, then open the menu editor and
3. Ask for the application name at the forums?
The reason I'm asking is two-fold:
1. I'd like to report bugs against several unknown gui applications using [ linux-bug <name-of-app> ]
2. I'd like to be able to start various applications from the command line.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)