Simulating a jointed rock mass

Asked by booncw on 2009-11-13

I would like to create initially a block of rock mass, and subsequently specify the strike and dip of joint planes. This will then intersect and cut the rock mass into polyhedral blocks.

Has this been implemented in ESys-Particle?

Cheers,

Wayne

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
ESyS-Particle Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2009-12-06
Last reply:
2009-12-06
Anton Gladky (gladky-anton) said : #1

See "bonded particle" part. This one is good implemented in ESyS.
______________________________

Anton Gladkyy

2009/11/13 booncw <email address hidden>

> New question #89997 on ESyS-Particle:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
>
> I would like to create initially a block of rock mass, and subsequently
> specify the strike and dip of joint planes. This will then intersect and
> cut the rock mass into polyhedral blocks.
>
> Has this been implemented in ESys-Particle?
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wayne
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for ESyS-Particle.
>

Dion Weatherley (d-weatherley) said : #2

Hi Wayne,

Currently ESyS-Particle does not provide a specific tool to generate a jointed rock block. However, LSMGenGeo (a companion tool for generating particle model setups) does contain some basic tools that may be of assistance.

For 2D models, you can use MNTable2D.breakBondsAlongLineSegment(..) to remove bonds than cross a specified line. There's an example in LSMGenGeo/examples/gengeo_DFN.py

For 3D models, bonds can be broken across triangular patches defining part of a joint. You can find some hints about how to do this from LSMGenGeo/examples/jointed_box_file.py. Sorry I cannot disclose exactly how to "readJointFileTagSet()" as this subroutine is designed to read jointsets from a particular commercial code. You shouldn't need this if you figure out how to create your own TriPatchSet().

Some useful tips regarding LSMGenGeo:

* LSMGenGeo can be obtained via anonymous SVN checkout:
svn co https://svn.esscc.uq.edu.au/svn/esys3/lsm/contrib/LSMGenGeo

* To build LSMGenGeo:
cd LSMGenGeo/build
sh autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

* The LSMGenGeo python API documentation is at:
http://esys.esscc.uq.edu.au/lsmgengeo_python_doc/current/pythonapi/html/index.html

* LSMGenGeo is still very much in "beta" stage. The documentation is incomplete and there is no guarantee you will not encounter bugs. Having said that, LSMGenGeo is quite powerful, so have fun!

Cheers,

Dion.

booncw (booncw) said : #3

Hey Dion, Thanks!

I appreciate your help!

Cheers,

CWBoon

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #89997]: Simulating a jointed rock mass
> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:10:13 +0000
>
> Your question #89997 on ESyS-Particle changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
>
> Dion Weatherley proposed the following answer:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> Currently ESyS-Particle does not provide a specific tool to generate a
> jointed rock block. However, LSMGenGeo (a companion tool for generating
> particle model setups) does contain some basic tools that may be of
> assistance.
>
> For 2D models, you can use MNTable2D.breakBondsAlongLineSegment(..) to
> remove bonds than cross a specified line. There's an example in
> LSMGenGeo/examples/gengeo_DFN.py
>
> For 3D models, bonds can be broken across triangular patches defining
> part of a joint. You can find some hints about how to do this from
> LSMGenGeo/examples/jointed_box_file.py. Sorry I cannot disclose exactly
> how to "readJointFileTagSet()" as this subroutine is designed to read
> jointsets from a particular commercial code. You shouldn't need this if
> you figure out how to create your own TriPatchSet().
>
> Some useful tips regarding LSMGenGeo:
>
> * LSMGenGeo can be obtained via anonymous SVN checkout:
> svn co https://svn.esscc.uq.edu.au/svn/esys3/lsm/contrib/LSMGenGeo
>
> * To build LSMGenGeo:
> cd LSMGenGeo/build
> sh autogen.sh
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> * The LSMGenGeo python API documentation is at:
> http://esys.esscc.uq.edu.au/lsmgengeo_python_doc/current/pythonapi/html/index.html
>
> * LSMGenGeo is still very much in "beta" stage. The documentation is
> incomplete and there is no guarantee you will not encounter bugs. Having
> said that, LSMGenGeo is quite powerful, so have fun!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dion.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997/+confirm?answer_id=1
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.
http://windows.microsoft.com/shop

booncw (booncw) said : #4

Btw, may I know whether the size of the particles generated by LSMGenGeo follows a certain distribution, e.g. Normal/Weibull? It looks like it is completely random?

And, if the particles are loose after generation, how do you normall compact it, so that it just touches but yet stress-free (no overlapping)?

Yours sincerely,

CWBoon

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: RE: [Question #89997]: Simulating a jointed rock mass
> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 10:45:22 +0000
>
> Your question #89997 on ESyS-Particle changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
>
> Hey Dion, Thanks!
>
>
> I appreciate your help!
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
>
> CWBoon
>
> > To: <email address hidden>
> > From: <email address hidden>
> > Subject: Re: [Question #89997]: Simulating a jointed rock mass
> > Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:10:13 +0000
> >
> > Your question #89997 on ESyS-Particle changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
> >
> > Dion Weatherley proposed the following answer:
> > Hi Wayne,
> >
> > Currently ESyS-Particle does not provide a specific tool to generate a
> > jointed rock block. However, LSMGenGeo (a companion tool for generating
> > particle model setups) does contain some basic tools that may be of
> > assistance.
> >
> > For 2D models, you can use MNTable2D.breakBondsAlongLineSegment(..) to
> > remove bonds than cross a specified line. There's an example in
> > LSMGenGeo/examples/gengeo_DFN.py
> >
> > For 3D models, bonds can be broken across triangular patches defining
> > part of a joint. You can find some hints about how to do this from
> > LSMGenGeo/examples/jointed_box_file.py. Sorry I cannot disclose exactly
> > how to "readJointFileTagSet()" as this subroutine is designed to read
> > jointsets from a particular commercial code. You shouldn't need this if
> > you figure out how to create your own TriPatchSet().
> >
> > Some useful tips regarding LSMGenGeo:
> >
> > * LSMGenGeo can be obtained via anonymous SVN checkout:
> > svn co https://svn.esscc.uq.edu.au/svn/esys3/lsm/contrib/LSMGenGeo
> >
> > * To build LSMGenGeo:
> > cd LSMGenGeo/build
> > sh autogen.sh
> > ./configure
> > make
> > sudo make install
> >
> > * The LSMGenGeo python API documentation is at:
> > http://esys.esscc.uq.edu.au/lsmgengeo_python_doc/current/pythonapi/html/index.html
> >
> > * LSMGenGeo is still very much in "beta" stage. The documentation is
> > incomplete and there is no guarantee you will not encounter bugs. Having
> > said that, LSMGenGeo is quite powerful, so have fun!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dion.
> >
> > --
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > know that it is solved:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997/+confirm?answer_id=1
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
> >
> > You received this question notification because you are a direct
> > subscriber of the question.
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.
> http://windows.microsoft.com/shop
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.
http://windows.microsoft.com/shop

Dion Weatherley (d-weatherley) said : #5

Hi CWBoon,

LSMGenGeo uses (almost) the same particle-packing algorithm as that for RandomBoxPacker described in the ESyS-Particle tutorial. Essentially, a specified volume is packed with non-overlapping spheres whose radii lie in a specified range. There is no way to control the final size-distribution of spheres in this algorithm. However, since it is a "space-filling" packing algorithm, the final size-distribution is very close to a power-law (fractal) with an exponent of about 3.0 (in 3D).

By the nature of the algorithm (fitting new spheres so they just touch 4 existing spheres) the final packing is not loose and particles do touch each other. There is no need for a compaction stage and the final packing is stress-free. This is one of the big advantages of the packing algorithm used in LSMGenGeo.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dion.

booncw (booncw) said : #6

Thank you very much, Dion :)

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: RE: [Question #89997]: Simulating a jointed rock mass
> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 19:37:01 +0000
>
> Your question #89997 on ESyS-Particle changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Dion Weatherley proposed the following answer:
> Hi CWBoon,
>
> LSMGenGeo uses (almost) the same particle-packing algorithm as that for
> RandomBoxPacker described in the ESyS-Particle tutorial. Essentially, a
> specified volume is packed with non-overlapping spheres whose radii lie
> in a specified range. There is no way to control the final size-
> distribution of spheres in this algorithm. However, since it is a
> "space-filling" packing algorithm, the final size-distribution is very
> close to a power-law (fractal) with an exponent of about 3.0 (in 3D).
>
> By the nature of the algorithm (fitting new spheres so they just touch 4
> existing spheres) the final packing is not loose and particles do touch
> each other. There is no need for a compaction stage and the final
> packing is stress-free. This is one of the big advantages of the packing
> algorithm used in LSMGenGeo.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dion.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997/+confirm?answer_id=4
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.
http://windows.microsoft.com/shop

Dion Weatherley (d-weatherley) said : #7

Original poster has confirmed question is solved.

403175147 (yanfb-1019) said : #8

I want to build LSMGenGeo, but show"py@py-virtual-machine:~$ cd LSMGenGeo/build
py@py-virtual-machine:~/LSMGenGeo/build$ sh autogen.sh
sh: 0: Can't open autogen.sh". why? how to do?

Feng Chen (fchen3-gmail) said : #9

Pingyang:

1. This is a different topic, please post your question to a new thread by clicking "Ask a question" on the top right of this page.
2. It seems you are lacking some fundamental knowledge of command line operations both in windows and Linux, please google some tutorials about google and Linux command line operations, take a day or two to go through those concepts.

For Linux: http://www.linfo.org/command_line_lesson_1.html
For Windows: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr05/cos126/cmd-prompt.html

Please understand these are very basic knowledge when you want to use any numerical libraries otherwise you will have hard time going through your future research.

3. do a "ls" command under ~/LSMGenGeo/build, post your output and also see if autogen.sh is in this directory

Regards,

Feng

403175147 (yanfb-1019) said : #10

Thank you very much
At 2013-05-20 23:41:27,"Feng Chen" <email address hidden> wrote:
>Question #89997 on ESyS-Particle changed:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
>
>Feng Chen posted a new comment:
>Pingyang:
>
>1. This is a different topic, please post your question to a new thread by clicking "Ask a question" on the top right of this page.
>2. It seems you are lacking some fundamental knowledge of command line operations both in windows and Linux, please google some tutorials about google and Linux command line operations, take a day or two to go through those concepts.
>
>For Linux: http://www.linfo.org/command_line_lesson_1.html
>For Windows: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr05/cos126/cmd-prompt.html
>
>Please understand these are very basic knowledge when you want to use
>any numerical libraries otherwise you will have hard time going through
>your future research.
>
>3. do a "ls" command under ~/LSMGenGeo/build, post your output and also
>see if autogen.sh is in this directory
>
>Regards,
>
>Feng
>
>--
>You received this question notification because you are a direct
>subscriber of the question.

403175147 (yanfb-1019) said : #11

Hi
   Do you have an instance of the cylinder triaxial test´╝č Can you give me ?
At 2013-05-20 23:41:27,"Feng Chen" <email address hidden> wrote:
>Question #89997 on ESyS-Particle changed:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/esys-particle/+question/89997
>
>Feng Chen posted a new comment:
>Pingyang:
>
>1. This is a different topic, please post your question to a new thread by clicking "Ask a question" on the top right of this page.
>2. It seems you are lacking some fundamental knowledge of command line operations both in windows and Linux, please google some tutorials about google and Linux command line operations, take a day or two to go through those concepts.
>
>For Linux: http://www.linfo.org/command_line_lesson_1.html
>For Windows: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr05/cos126/cmd-prompt.html
>
>Please understand these are very basic knowledge when you want to use
>any numerical libraries otherwise you will have hard time going through
>your future research.
>
>3. do a "ls" command under ~/LSMGenGeo/build, post your output and also
>see if autogen.sh is in this directory
>
>Regards,
>
>Feng
>
>--
>You received this question notification because you are a direct
>subscriber of the question.

403175147 (yanfb-1019) said : #12

I want to build from the Source Distribution ,but"
[/tmp]$ wget -q http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/epydoc/epydoc-3.0.1.tar.gz
[/tmp]$ gunzip epydoc-3.0.1.tar.gz
[/tmp]$ tar -xvf epydoc-3.0.1.tar
[/tmp]$ cd epydoc-3.0.1/
[/tmp/epydoc-3.0.1]$ su
Password:
" . what is the Password?

Vince Boros (v-boros) said : #13

Hello Pingyang:

Your question at post #12 belongs to a Unix or Linux forum. Contact your Unix system administrator for superuser privileges.

Regards,

Vince