dump2vtk generates vtu files but nothing shown in paraview

Asked by George Lesica on 2013-03-14

I have been working through the tutorial using ESyS-Particle 2.2 (the download version, I did not check it out using bzr). I ran the dump2vtk command on page 63 as specified. The program generates some output like this (truncated for convenience):

version : 3
infilename : snapshot_t=0_0.txt
nr. of filenames: 0
version : 3
infilename : snapshot_t=1000_0.txt
nr. of filenames: 0

I then end up with the *.vtu files as stated in the tutorial. However, when I open the files in Paraview, the display is blank (even after twiddling with the settings, etc.). I also tried with the slop failure example (removing the -rot option from dump2vtk). This yielded the same results. Here is an example of what the *.vtu files look like. They seem awfully short, so my guess is that data isn't making it into the files properly...

<VTKFile type="UnstructuredGrid" version="0.1">
<UnstructuredGrid>
<Piece NumberOfPoints="0" NumberOfCells="0">
<Points>
<DataArray NumberOfComponents="3" type="Float64" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
</Points>
<PointData Scalars="radius">
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="radius" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Int32" Name="particleTag" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="particleMass" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Int32" Name="Id" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="velocity" NumberOfComponents="3" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="displacement" NumberOfComponents="3" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="initial position" NumberOfComponents="3" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Int32" Name="proc_id" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
</PointData>
<Cells>
<DataArray type="Int32" NumberOfComponents="1" Name="connectivity" format="ascii">
</DataArray><DataArray type="Int32" NumberOfComponents="1" Name="offsets" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="UInt8" NumberOfComponents="1" Name="types" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
</Cells>
<CellData>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="bondStrain" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Int32" Name="bondTag" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
</CellData>
</Piece>
</UnstructuredGrid>
</VTKFile>

Assistance would be appreciated!

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
ESyS-Particle Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Dion Weatherley
Solved:
Last query:
Last reply:
Revision history for this message
Best Dion Weatherley (d-weatherley) said :
#1

Hi George,

This is due to a bug that was identified subsequent to the release of v2.2. The bug is described here:
https://code.launchpad.net/bugs/1116022

A fix has been released in the latest development version. I have just added an updated source code tarball to the ESyS-Particle downloads area:
https://launchpad.net/esys-particle/+download

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Cheers,

Dion.

Revision history for this message
George Lesica (oldmanstan) said :
#2

Excellent! Sorry for the delay. That worked like a charm, thank you greatly!

Revision history for this message
George Lesica (oldmanstan) said :
#3

Thanks Dion Weatherley, that solved my question.

Revision history for this message
clockworker (pscholz52) said :
#4

Hi,

i'm experiencing the same behavior as described by George Lesica with esys-particle 2.3 on Ubuntu 15.04.
I ran the tutorials for shear_cell and hopper_flow
and after running

dump2vtk -i flow_data -o vtk_snaps_ -t 0 202 0

the vtk files for the hopper_flow case look like this:

<VTKFile type="UnstructuredGrid" version="0.1">
<UnstructuredGrid>
<Piece NumberOfPoints="0" NumberOfCells="0">
<Points>
<DataArray NumberOfComponents="3" type="Float64" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
</Points>
<PointData Scalars="radius">
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="radius" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Int32" Name="particleTag" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="particleMass" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Int32" Name="Id" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="velocity" NumberOfComponents="3" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="displacement" NumberOfComponents="3" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="initial position" NumberOfComponents="3" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Int32" Name="proc_id" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
</PointData>
<Cells>
<DataArray type="Int32" NumberOfComponents="1" Name="connectivity" format="ascii">
</DataArray><DataArray type="Int32" NumberOfComponents="1" Name="offsets" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="UInt8" NumberOfComponents="1" Name="types" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
</Cells>
<CellData>
<DataArray type="Float64" Name="bondStrain" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
<DataArray type="Int32" Name="bondTag" NumberOfComponents="1" format="ascii">
</DataArray>
</CellData>
</Piece>
</UnstructuredGrid>
</VTKFile>

Shall I also use the development version or is there something else going on.