can it be installed in kde (pclinuxos)

Asked by andrey on 2008-07-31

i would like to have a nice and easy to use mc . but i use kde based linux . in my case it is pclos . i am still a noob so any info would be welcome . also , if O.K. could i , assuming it would work , recommend your MC to devs at PCLOS to be added to our repo of software .

sincerely Andrey

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Entertainer Media Center Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Matt Layman
Solved:
2008-07-31
Last query:
2008-07-31
Last reply:
2008-07-31
Matt Layman (mblayman) said : #1

andrey, I don't know how much of a "noob" you are so if this information is overkill for you, I apologize, but hopefully you will find value in it.

KDE is built around the Qt toolkit. GNOME is built around the GTK+ toolkit (slightly redundant since GTK+ stands for The GIMP Toolkit, but I digress). Entertainer use GTK+ for our low level windowing, followed by clutter (which provides all the fancy effects).

So in vanilla KDE, Entertainer would not be able to run. However, I believe that you can install GTK+ code libraries in KDE so it could be possible to install all the correct software dependencies to get Entertainer working. I don't know the package management system of PCLinuxOS, but we list the proper Debian/Ubuntu dependencies in the docs/DEPENDENCIES file of our source tree. You could, in theory, find the equivalent libraries in PCLinuxOS, install them, then run Entertainer, but I'm guessing that is more work than you want to do.

In answer to your question, we don't currently have a source package that could be easily bundled for inclusion into a Linux distribution, so it would be difficult for PCLinuxOS devs to add Entertainer to their repos. Unfortunately for lots of end users, Entertainer is still very much alpha software, and that means that there may be some learning curve for individuals hoping to install and run it.

Thanks for your question. We hope to make Entertainer as accessible to everyone we can as soon as possible, but we're just not there yet.

andrey (asigurnjak) said : #2

Thank you very much for quick and detailed answer. I will keep an eye on
your work and as my skill grows i may attempt even install one day . As
things are now i will leave it alone . I wish you all the best in your work
and good luck in your project .

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Matt Layman <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #40837 on Entertainer changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/entertainer/+question/40837
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Matt Layman proposed the following answer:
> andrey, I don't know how much of a "noob" you are so if this information
> is overkill for you, I apologize, but hopefully you will find value in
> it.
>
> KDE is built around the Qt toolkit. GNOME is built around the GTK+
> toolkit (slightly redundant since GTK+ stands for The GIMP Toolkit, but
> I digress). Entertainer use GTK+ for our low level windowing, followed
> by clutter (which provides all the fancy effects).
>
> So in vanilla KDE, Entertainer would not be able to run. However, I
> believe that you can install GTK+ code libraries in KDE so it could be
> possible to install all the correct software dependencies to get
> Entertainer working. I don't know the package management system of
> PCLinuxOS, but we list the proper Debian/Ubuntu dependencies in the
> docs/DEPENDENCIES file of our source tree. You could, in theory, find
> the equivalent libraries in PCLinuxOS, install them, then run
> Entertainer, but I'm guessing that is more work than you want to do.
>
> In answer to your question, we don't currently have a source package
> that could be easily bundled for inclusion into a Linux distribution, so
> it would be difficult for PCLinuxOS devs to add Entertainer to their
> repos. Unfortunately for lots of end users, Entertainer is still very
> much alpha software, and that means that there may be some learning
> curve for individuals hoping to install and run it.
>
> Thanks for your question. We hope to make Entertainer as accessible to
> everyone we can as soon as possible, but we're just not there yet.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/entertainer/+question/40837/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/entertainer/+question/40837
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

--
http://www.geocities.com/jehovahelps/DRE_PAGE.html

Best Matt Layman (mblayman) said : #3

andrey, glad I could help. Could you do us a favor and transition your question to solved so that others with the same question will realize that this is the current answer?

Thanks, and good luck growing your Linux skills.

andrey (asigurnjak) said : #4

Thanks Matt Layman, that solved my question.

andrey (asigurnjak) said : #5

Done ! thanks !

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Matt Layman <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #40837 on Entertainer changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/entertainer/+question/40837
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Matt Layman proposed the following answer:
> andrey, glad I could help. Could you do us a favor and transition your
> question to solved so that others with the same question will realize
> that this is the current answer?
>
> Thanks, and good luck growing your Linux skills.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/entertainer/+question/40837/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/entertainer/+question/40837
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

--
http://www.geocities.com/jehovahelps/DRE_PAGE.html