Backup worked fine on upgrade to 20.04 but has now stopped working.

Asked by Jane Curbishley

I receive an error message as follows when I try to run Backup:

GPGError: GPG Failed, see log below:
===== Begin GnuPG log =====
gpg: AES256 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: block_filter 0x0000556fdbcf2280: read error (size=14707,a->size=14707)
gpg: block_filter 0x0000556fdbcf2f50: read error (size=11824,a->size=11824)
gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected
gpg: block_filter: pending bytes!
gpg: block_filter: pending bytes!
===== End GnuPG log =====

I have no idea what this means or how to rectify the problem.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Expired
For:
Déjà Dup Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
Last reply:
Revision history for this message
Michael Terry (mterry) said :
#1

That's a scary looking message.

My *guess* is that one of the encrypted backup files is got corrupted / truncated somehow?

Can you run the following command, replacing $BACKUPFOLDER with the location of your backup files (assuming they are local?) and $PASSPHRASE with your encryption password? This will hopefully tell you which file could not be understood by gpg...

for i in /$BACKUPFOLDER/*; do echo $i; if gpg --passphrase=$PASSPHRASE --batch --pinentry-mode=loopback --decrypt $i >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then echo -e "^ \033[0;32mable to decrypt\033[0m"; else echo -e "^ \033[0;31mcould not decrypt\033[0m"; fi; done

Revision history for this message
Jane Curbishley (janec) said :
#2

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay in trying this but I've been awfully busy the past few
days. Just tried to run this and got the following message:

gpg: WARNING: no command supplied. Trying to guess what you mean ...
gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...

I am a bit confused about location to be honest. I have a WD My Passport
connected, which is where I hope everything is backed up (I called it "My
files and photos" when I did a total bnackup before upgrading from Linux
18.04 to 20.04). HOwever, as to location for Backups I am trying to save
them to the SSD card in the latest partition. This worked fine for a while
but now doss not. Consequently I have everything on My Passport but NOT on
the SSD card, which is not great.

I don't know what to do next.

Jane

On Thu, 4 Nov 2021 at 04:15, Michael Terry <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #699334 on Déjà Dup changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/699334
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Michael Terry requested more information:
> That's a scary looking message.
>
> My *guess* is that one of the encrypted backup files is got corrupted /
> truncated somehow?
>
> Can you run the following command, replacing $BACKUPFOLDER with the
> location of your backup files (assuming they are local?) and $PASSPHRASE
> with your encryption password? This will hopefully tell you which file
> could not be understood by gpg...
>
> for i in /$BACKUPFOLDER/*; do echo $i; if gpg --passphrase=$PASSPHRASE
> --batch --pinentry-mode=loopback --decrypt $i >/dev/null 2>/dev/null;
> then echo -e "^ \033[0;32mable to decrypt\033[0m"; else echo -e "^
> \033[0;31mcould not decrypt\033[0m"; fi; done
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/699334
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Revision history for this message
Michael Terry (mterry) said :
#3

Hmm, I just did a test backup to /tmp/blarg with the password "test" and ran the following, and it worked for me. Is it possible you typed it wrong? Or maybe your gpg version is different than mine?

for i in /tmp/blarg/*; do echo $i; if gpg --passphrase=test --batch --pinentry-mode=loopback --decrypt $i >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then echo -e "^ \033[0;32mable to decrypt\033[0m"; else echo -e "^ \033[0;31mcould not decrypt\033[0m"; fi; done

I'm a little confused about locations now too - you did an original backup to your My Passport. And are you trying to restore to the SSD or are you trying to put further backups onto the SSD?

Revision history for this message
Jane Curbishley (janec) said :
#4

Hi. Tried pasting your solution but still get this message:
/tmp/blarg/*
gpg: WARNING: no command supplied. Trying to guess what you mean ...
gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...

Don't believe I copied your original wrongly. I too am confused about
locations. The person who set up my Linux OS told me to save backups to a
"local" folder. I want to save things to a folder on the SSD card (where
some are saved now, I notice) so that they backup automatically to My
Passport. This was happening fine but suddenly is not. I think you
mentioned I may have a corrupted file and I have found what I believe are 2
so have taken screenshots:

[image: Screenshot 1.png][image: Screenshot 2.png]

These are in Home on the SSD card and are labelled
"duplicity-full-signatures". Each of them says "There was a problem opening
the file “/home/jane/duplicity-ful…0930T125221Z.manifest.gpg”." and warns
that I may corrupt the file if I continue to try opening it. Tbh I haven't
a clue how to open Duplicity files so I haven't tried. If I delete both of
these, will this solve my problem?

There is a "normal" file with the same name, in the same location, which
looks like this:

[image: Screenshot 3 - normal.png]

The folder I have on the SSD card is one which was created when Linux 18.04
was installed for me. When the same person did the upgrade to 20.04 he
created a new folder, which I discovered afterwards is empty! The folder I
need existed only in 18.04. I can access this but it really ought to be in
Home, in Files on the dashboard. However, I have no idea how to move it
there...

I apologise for bothering you with all this. I would have used Ask Ubuntu
but they have barred me from asking any further questions. No idea why.

Jane

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 at 02:41, Michael Terry <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #699334 on Déjà Dup changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/699334
>
> Michael Terry posted a new comment:
> Hmm, I just did a test backup to /tmp/blarg with the password "test" and
> ran the following, and it worked for me. Is it possible you typed it
> wrong? Or maybe your gpg version is different than mine?
>
> for i in /tmp/blarg/*; do echo $i; if gpg --passphrase=test --batch
> --pinentry-mode=loopback --decrypt $i >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then echo
> -e "^ \033[0;32mable to decrypt\033[0m"; else echo -e "^ \033[0;31mcould
> not decrypt\033[0m"; fi; done
>
> I'm a little confused about locations now too - you did an original
> backup to your My Passport. And are you trying to restore to the SSD or
> are you trying to put further backups onto the SSD?
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Revision history for this message
Michael Terry (mterry) said :
#5

Looks like launchpad doesn't like the images. You could file an issue in gitlab and attach images there: https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/deja-dup/-/issues/new

*Regarding the gpg issue.*

First off, this gpg command I gave you was just a small step to try to verify that a file was bad. If we can't get it to work, we can give up on it.

But the error you are giving me really... shouldn't be able to happen with the command I gave. In my command, all output from gpg is ignored, so it couldn't even print the message you are seeing. I don't mean any offense, but it feels like what you are running and what I gave above are not the same.

*Your SSD*

Don't delete the .gpg files - they are likely important files for your backup and also can't be opened/read normally, so the message you see when you try to open them is probably just warning you about that. Maybe those screenshots would help me figure this out.

Revision history for this message
Jane Curbishley (janec) said :
#6

Thanks Michael. I cut and pasted what you sent to me into Terminal. It
may be that I copied a character at the beginning and the end that was not
intended, but other than that I don't see how there could have been a
mistake. Thank you for giving me the gitlab address. I will send the
images there which I sent to you. If you are able to figure out what's
wrong from the images I sent you that would be great but I will not delete
the ones which appear to be corrupted. I am keen to resolve this issue
asap as I have not had a successful backup now for over 3 weeks.

Thank you for your advice.
Jane

On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 at 03:45, Michael Terry <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #699334 on Déjà Dup changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/699334
>
> Michael Terry posted a new comment:
> Looks like launchpad doesn't like the images. You could file an issue in
> gitlab and attach images there: https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/deja-
> dup/-/issues/new <https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/deja-dup/-/issues/new>
>
> *Regarding the gpg issue.*
>
> First off, this gpg command I gave you was just a small step to try to
> verify that a file was bad. If we can't get it to work, we can give up
> on it.
>
> But the error you are giving me really... shouldn't be able to happen
> with the command I gave. In my command, all output from gpg is ignored,
> so it couldn't even print the message you are seeing. I don't mean any
> offense, but it feels like what you are running and what I gave above
> are not the same.
>
> *Your SSD*
>
> Don't delete the .gpg files - they are likely important files for your
> backup and also can't be opened/read normally, so the message you see
> when you try to open them is probably just warning you about that. Maybe
> those screenshots would help me figure this out.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) said :
#7

This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state without activity for the last 15 days.