Auto backup failed on ubuntu 20.04

Asked by Gary Stutts on 2020-10-29

I have a hard drive just for backup. When I tell it to do a manual back, right now, it works fine but when the system tries to a auto backup I get this error: "error creating directory; permission denied".
I need help.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Expired
For:
Déjà Dup Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2020-11-08
Last reply:
2020-11-24

This question was reopened

Michael Terry (mterry) said : #1

What is your backup storage location? Is it an encrypted removable drive by any chance?

Gary Stutts (gstutts1) said : #2

The drive is an extra 500GB that I was using for backup only. Like said,
if I tell it to backup now, then it backs up to this drive with no
problems but if the auto backup tries to do it, then I get the error.

Gary

On 10/29/20 7:15 PM, Michael Terry wrote:
> Your question #693721 on Déjà Dup changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/693721
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Michael Terry requested more information:
> What is your backup storage location? Is it an encrypted removable drive
> by any chance?
>

Michael Terry (mterry) said : #3

Hmm, OK first thing is to try the newest release. It might have a fix for this issue in it.

snap install deja-dup --classic
sudo apt remove deja-dup

Then log out and log back in again. That will swap out your current version from Ubuntu for the newest one from the snap store. Hopefully that will fix this?

Gary Stutts (gstutts1) said : #4

Yesterday I logged out then back in. Today same problem. Sorry. I also
power down each night.

Gary

On 10/31/20 1:25 PM, Michael Terry wrote:
> Your question #693721 on Déjà Dup changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/693721
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Michael Terry proposed the following answer:
> Hmm, OK first thing is to try the newest release. It might have a fix
> for this issue in it.
>
> snap install deja-dup --classic
> sudo apt remove deja-dup
>
> Then log out and log back in again. That will swap out your current
> version from Ubuntu for the newest one from the snap store. Hopefully
> that will fix this?
>

Gary Stutts (gstutts1) said : #5

I did all that and the backup failed.

Gary

On 11/1/20 7:40 AM, Gary Stutts wrote:
> Your question #693721 on Déjà Dup changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/693721
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> Yesterday I logged out then back in. Today same problem. Sorry. I also
> power down each night.
>
> Gary
>
>
> On 10/31/20 1:25 PM, Michael Terry wrote:
>> Your question #693721 on Déjà Dup changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/693721
>>
>> Status: Open => Answered
>>
>> Michael Terry proposed the following answer:
>> Hmm, OK first thing is to try the newest release. It might have a fix
>> for this issue in it.
>>
>> snap install deja-dup --classic
>> sudo apt remove deja-dup
>>
>> Then log out and log back in again. That will swap out your current
>> version from Ubuntu for the newest one from the snap store. Hopefully
>> that will fix this?
>>

Michael Terry (mterry) said : #6

Can you file a ticket here? https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/deja-dup/-/issues/new?issuable_template=Help%20Request

Providing the requested debug info should help me understand what's happening here. Thank you for your patience.

Gary Stutts (gstutts1) said : #7

I don't understand about filing a ticket. I gave it a try and I needed a
password ??

Here is a photo of the error I get every day.

Gary

On 11/1/20 5:11 PM, Michael Terry wrote:
> Your question #693721 on Déjà Dup changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/693721
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Michael Terry requested more information:
> Can you file a ticket here? https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/deja-
> dup/-/issues/new?issuable_template=Help%20Request
>
> Providing the requested debug info should help me understand what's
> happening here. Thank you for your patience.
>

Michael Terry (mterry) said : #8

Ah right, the site I suggested you file a ticket requires a different login, sorry.

OK, can you post the "Debug Information" you see if you go to the About menu, click "Debug Information" and then click the copy button and paste it here? Do that after reproducing this issue, and the information should contain the logs from the error.

Gary Stutts (gstutts1) said : #9

Michael;

My backup is working now. You can close out the ticket.

Yesterday I did a format on my backup drive; However, I had done that
before. Then, in the evening, Ubuntu did a system update. After that the
system did an auto backup with no errors.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

On 11/6/20 8:41 PM, Michael Terry wrote:
> Your question #693721 on Déjà Dup changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/693721
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Michael Terry requested more information:
> Ah right, the site I suggested you file a ticket requires a different
> login, sorry.
>
> OK, can you post the "Debug Information" you see if you go to the About
> menu, click "Debug Information" and then click the copy button and paste
> it here? Do that after reproducing this issue, and the information
> should contain the logs from the error.
>

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) said : #10

This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state without activity for the last 15 days.