Déjà Dup restores files but loses the dates

Asked by Benedict on 2019-11-12

Hi!

I am using deja-dup 40.1 on a new Arch Linux installation. That is: I'm on a new host machine, not the one from which I was doing my previous backups.

When I try to recover my files from a WebDAV server, everything goes fine, except for the dates of the files that all acquire the date of today.

I suppose it's not the expected behaviour (as it's really a loss), but I don't know what is going wrong.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Déjà Dup Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Benedict
Solved:
2019-11-16
Last query:
2019-11-16
Last reply:
2019-11-13
Michael Terry (mterry) said : #1

I don’t have an arch system handy to test on. But I was not able to reproduce locally using the 40.2 snap.

This seems like it would be a bug that would be able to be reproduced using duplicity directly? Do you know how to try that?

Benedict (bela83) said : #2

Unfortunately I cannot as duplicity asks for a GnuPG passphrase that I don't have. And I can't connect to the backup server via ssh or anything to retrieve the passphrase as the server only provides a davs access.

Do you suggest I try the 40.2 snap?

Michael Terry (mterry) said : #3

> Unfortunately I cannot as duplicity asks for a GnuPG passphrase that I don't have. And I can't connect to the backup server via ssh or anything to retrieve the passphrase as the server only provides a davs access.

Ah yes, duplicity's command line is a little awkward. If you didn't encrypt the backup, you can pass --no-encryption to avoid it asking for a password. And you can use a backup location like gio+davs://...

But anyway, that was just a thought to try.

> Do you suggest I try the 40.2 snap?

Maybe? Or the flatpak.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/Download

It would at least avoid questions about whether the bug is due to some distro-level issue or not.

Benedict (bela83) said : #4

Hi Michael!

Trying to solve the issue took me down a long long road...

I went with duplicity 0.7.19 (the one provided with my arch install), tried different protocols, but still encountered the bug.

I finally installed a snap of duplicity 0.8.07 and it worked with the command

snap run duplicity restore --ssh-askpass --no-encryption --numeric-owner -t my-time-stamp sftp://<email address hidden> .

So my understanding is that the bug was with duplicity and not with deja-dup.

Thank you very much for the help provided.
Best,
Benedict