Top docks (2) combined into one

Asked by James Wilde on 2014-01-29

I had three docks, the normal one for starting programs at the bottom, and two at the top, the one on the left with full menu, home directory, nautilus and marlin file manager, the one on the right with on/off, time, sound, input method, wireless, sync and input source.

Suddenly this evening these two top docks combined into one in the centre, and I can now find no way to split them up again. At the moment I have moved them to the right instead of being in the middle.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Cairo-Dock Core Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2014-01-30
Last reply:
2014-01-30
Matthieu Baerts (matttbe) said : #1

Hello and thank you for this question,

Is it maybe possible to share a link here to a screenshot of your desktop?
Which version of the dock are you using? How did you install it and on which distribution?

This is strange that the configuration of the dock has changed without any reason. Is it after an update of the dock? Or other packages? Is it after a reboot?

James Wilde (james-wilde) said : #2

Sorry, Matthieu, I should have included most of that information as a
matter of course.

I am using version 3.3.1 on Ubuntu 13.10. As far as I know, the
installation method was standard. A screen shot is attached.

At the time it happened, I was trying to open Nautilus, using the icon,
and I think I tested a double click to see if it would go directly to an
open window. At that point the two top docks migrated to the middle and
joined up. This did not happen after an update or restart, and no other
packages had been added.

Thank you for trying to help.

Regards

James

On 2014-01-30 00:06, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> Your question #242981 on Cairo-Dock Core changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/cairo-dock-core/+question/242981
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Matthieu Baerts requested more information:
> Hello and thank you for this question,
>
> Is it maybe possible to share a link here to a screenshot of your desktop?
> Which version of the dock are you using? How did you install it and on which distribution?
>
> This is strange that the configuration of the dock has changed without
> any reason. Is it after an update of the dock? Or other packages? Is it
> after a reboot?
>

Matthieu Baerts (matttbe) said : #3

No problem.

> A screen shot is attached.

Sorry but it seems it's not possible to upload files here. Can you upload it to a server (by using Drop to Share applet or directly upload it on imgur.com, uppix.com, etc.) and share a link here?

> This did not happen after an update or restart, and no other
> packages had been added.

This is strange! Maybe the screenshot will help.

@fabounet: any idea? :-)

James Wilde (james-wilde) said : #4

Hi Matthieu:

I've uploaded it to Fropbox and sent a link. Remember, when the two top
docks merged, they landed in the middle. I moved them to the right,
which is where I expect the icons I use most to be.

Regards

James

On 2014-01-30 10:11, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> Your question #242981 on Cairo-Dock Core changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/cairo-dock-core/+question/242981
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Matthieu Baerts requested more information:
> No problem.
>
>> A screen shot is attached.
> Sorry but it seems it's not possible to upload files here. Can you
> upload it to a server (by using Drop to Share applet or directly upload
> it on imgur.com, uppix.com, etc.) and share a link here?
>
>> This did not happen after an update or restart, and no other
>> packages had been added.
> This is strange! Maybe the screenshot will help.
>
> @fabounet: any idea? :-)
>

Matthieu Baerts (matttbe) said : #5

Hi James,
Thank you but where is this link? :-)

James Wilde (james-wilde) said : #6

I don't remember the exact address, but it was something like:

question242981@something or other, presumably answers.launchpad.net

James

On 2014-01-30 11:21, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> Your question #242981 on Cairo-Dock Core changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/cairo-dock-core/+question/242981
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Matthieu Baerts requested more information:
> Hi James,
> Thank you but where is this link? :-)
>

James Wilde (james-wilde) said : #7

Try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uw5j3kf39je84y9/Screenshot%20from%202014-01-30%2009%3A52%3A45.png

James

On 2014-01-30 11:21, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> Your question #242981 on Cairo-Dock Core changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/cairo-dock-core/+question/242981
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Matthieu Baerts requested more information:
> Hi James,
> Thank you but where is this link? :-)
>

Matthieu Baerts (matttbe) said : #8

Thank you for this screenshot.
I guess a separator had been removed (by dragging and dropping it out of thé dock). You can do a right click where you want to add a separator in this dock / Cairo-Dock / Add / Separator). You can also select the option on the Cairo-Dock menu to avoid moving icons.

James Wilde (james-wilde) said : #9

Thank you, Matthieu. That solved it.

Regards

James

On 2014-01-30 11:56, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> Your question #242981 on Cairo-Dock Core changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/cairo-dock-core/+question/242981
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Matthieu Baerts proposed the following answer:
> Thank you for this screenshot.
> I guess a separator had been removed (by dragging and dropping it out of thé dock). You can do a right click where you want to add a separator in this dock / Cairo-Dock / Add / Separator). You can also select the option on the Cairo-Dock menu to avoid moving icons.
>

Matthieu Baerts (matttbe) said : #10

You're welcome!