SSL problem after latest updates

Asked by Michi Henning on 2014-05-08

I just applied the latest patches that were offered by software update, which told me to reboot after installing them.

Now that I've rebooted, bzr no longer works for me:

$ bzr pull
Using saved parent location: bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/+branch/unity-scopes-api/devel/
Permission denied (publickey).
ConnectionReset reading response for 'BzrDir.open_2.1', retrying
Permission denied (publickey).
bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist.

I suspect that the latest updates are responsible because, immediately prior to the update, everything was working just fine. Looking at apt's history.log, the following were included in the updates:

libssl1.0.0:amd64 (1.0.1f-1ubuntu2, 1.0.1f-1ubuntu2.1)
libssl-dev:amd64 (1.0.1f-1ubuntu2, 1.0.1f-1ubuntu2.1)
openssl:amd64 (1.0.1f-1ubuntu2, 1.0.1f-1ubuntu2.1)

Does anyone have a suggestion for how best to recover?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Bazaar Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Michi Henning
Solved:
2014-05-08
Last query:
2014-05-08
Last reply:
Michi Henning (michihenning) said : #1

Very strange. After yet another reboot, everything works again. I didn't touch anything, just rebooted a second time.

Magic! :-(

Vincent Ladeuil (vila) said : #2

Most likely a transient launchpad failure ?

Michi Henning (michihenning) said : #3

Possibly. I didn't have second machine around to try with. Anyway, it's been working fine all day now since the last reboot.

I *swear* I didn't touch anything, and simply rebooted a second time. I *hate* it when stuff like this happens. Bugs that fix themselves without explanation are the worst kind…

Vincent Ladeuil (vila) said : #4

Right, if the issue was launchpad side, obviously nothing has to happen locally to fix it. Also, bzr never requires a reboot after an upgrade, so something else in your update triggered that.

Vincent Ladeuil (vila) said : #5

Confirming that the issue was lp side after experimenting it myself with bzr 2.6.0 (so, not concerned by the upgrade mentioned in the original question ;)

From the ops-who-know dept: we took an LP frontend down for RAM upgrade. It was out of DNS, but some clients persist DNS longer than others.

Michi Henning (michihenning) said : #6

OK, thanks for that! So, it was just coincidence that it happened after the upgrade. I was misled into thinking that the upgrade was responsible because it updated SSL, and the error was SSL related.

Anyway, it's all good now. And thanks for checking!