Configuring editors: escape from notepad

Asked by philw on 2011-03-02

I'm having trouble configuring my editor to be anything other than notepad on Windows 7, and similarly I can't convince it that SQL Studio is good for opening SQL files, which it treats as binary. I tried editing my editors.config, but it either ignores what I put there, or what I put there causes Bazaar Explorer to silently refuse to run.

The "clothes" metaphor confuses me, but the "editors" thing there brings up the default editors.config. I can save an "override" for that in my app data, and if I delete the override file then Bazaar recreates it, so I know I'm looking in the right place.

The default file contains entries (all commented out) which look like:

# [windows]
# vsd, vss, vst, vdx, vsx, vtx = visio

I can sort of see what that may mean, but how does it hope to get from a word like "visio" to an actual program location? So I tried
  txt =scite
  txt = "C:\Program Files (x86)\SciTE\scite.exe"
  txt="C:\Program Files (x86)\SciTE\scite.exe"
  txt = C:\Program Files (x86)\SciTE\scite.exe
  txt = "C:/Program Files (x86)/SciTE/SciTE.exe"
  txt ="C:/Program Files (x86)/SciTE/SciTE.exe"
  txt = C:/Program Files (x86)/SciTE/SciTE.exe
  txt=C:/Program Files (x86)/SciTE/SciTE.exe
None of those work or I'd not be here, although they're valid paths (except the first).
They don't crash it, but doesn't work either.

I also tried Settings->Configuration-UserConfiguration and then looking at the General tab, I set up the editor there correctly with the "browse button, but that does nothing.

I'm sure I'm missing something incredibly obvious, as I searched here and could not find anything which looks relevant. I'm sure something as simple as this must be possible, but I can't work it out. Anyone managed to escape Notepad?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Bazaar Explorer Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Alexander Belchenko
Solved:
2011-03-11
Last query:
2011-03-11
Last reply:
2011-03-11
Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #1

I'mn sure setting the editor via Settings->Configuration-UserConfiguration should work. What do you mean by " that does nothing"?

philw (philip-wigglesworth) said : #2

Thanks.

I mean... I can set my editor up, by browsing to the file (SciTE in my case), but it's unclear to me what that actually does. It does not seem to do anything. What is it supposed to do?

Specifically, when I double click (say) on a .txt file, I'd like to run my editor (SciTE), not the OS built in notepad.exe. This is what I'm trying to achieve, but perhaps this setting does something else.

Best Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #3

philw пишет:
> Question #147563 on Bazaar Explorer changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/bzr-explorer/+question/147563
>
> Status: Needs information => Open
>
> philw gave more information on the question:
> Thanks.
>
> I mean... I can set my editor up, by browsing to the file (SciTE in my
> case), but it's unclear to me what that actually does. It does not seem
> to do anything. What is it supposed to do?
>
> Specifically, when I double click (say) on a .txt file, I'd like to run
> my editor (SciTE), not the OS built in notepad.exe. This is what I'm
> trying to achieve, but perhaps this setting does something else.

Am I understand you correctly: you double-click in the working tree
browser? What if you select the file in the working tree browser and
then press Edit button on the toolbar below the working tree browser?
Will it do the right thing?

--
All the dude wanted was his rug back

philw (philip-wigglesworth) said : #4

Ahah... I had not actually tried the icon at the bottom... I tried it today and it worked first time.
But then... I tried the double-click again, and *now it works*.

I really don't understand how that is, as I'd tried and tried before, but now it works.

Ok, my problem is solved, even if I can't explain why/how.

thanks all.

philw (philip-wigglesworth) said : #5

Thanks Alexander Belchenko, that solved my question.

Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #6

philw пишет:
> Question #147563 on Bazaar Explorer changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/bzr-explorer/+question/147563
>
> Status: Answered => Solved
>
> philw confirmed that the question is solved:
> Ahah... I had not actually tried the icon at the bottom... I tried it today and it worked first time.
> But then... I tried the double-click again, and *now it works*.
>
> I really don't understand how that is, as I'd tried and tried before,
> but now it works.
>
> Ok, my problem is solved, even if I can't explain why/how.

I'm not sure the problem is completelly solved yet. I'll try to
investigate it later.

--
All the dude wanted was his rug back

philw (philip-wigglesworth) said : #7

Agreed - I'm pretty sure it wasn't entirely user error. If relevant it's a win 7 64-bit system, everything up to date.