Cannot create tag

Asked by Peter Bollinger on 2010-07-21

I am connected locally through intranet or VPN with the repository. Since a couple of weeks i cannot create tags anymore. No idea why.
bzrlib 2.1.1 on MS Windows XP and 7
Message: -------------
Run command: bzr tag --directory Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/ --revision 31 "Mit Schulleiter"
Unable to obtain lock file:///Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/.bzr/branch/lock
held by <email address hidden> on host ASUS [process #4660]
locked 33 seconds ago
Will continue to try until 22:05:30, unless you press Ctrl-C.
See "bzr help break-lock" for more.
bzr: ERROR: Could not acquire lock "LockDir(file:///Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/.bzr/branch/lock)":
---------------
Erasing the above lockfile does not change anything because the file is recreated immediatly.

Thanks in advance for any help
Peter Bollinger

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Bazaar Explorer Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Alexander Belchenko
Solved:
2010-08-03
Last query:
2010-08-03
Last reply:
2010-08-03

This question was reopened

Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #1

Does Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/ is regular branch or shared repository?

Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #2

I can't reproduce your problem with recent QBzr and Bazaar Explorer. Can you ensure you don't have other dialogs opened while you're trying to tag revision?

Peter Bollinger (bollingp) said : #3

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your answer.
Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/ is a shared repository (nor really sure).
There was no other dialog open at the same time (sure).
All other functions are working fine.

thanks
Peter

Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #4

Peter Bollinger пишет:
> Question #118520 on Bazaar Explorer changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/bzr-explorer/+question/118520
>
> Peter Bollinger posted a new comment:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/ is a shared repository (nor really sure).

You should run tag command in the branch, not in the shared repository.

Peter Bollinger (bollingp) said : #5

Yes I run the tag command in the branch.
But I remember now that i never could handle repositories. Maybe because i'm always working (pseudo) locally.
So all i have are snapshot branches, also on the server.
Is this the reason for the lockfile problem?

Peter

Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #6

Peter Bollinger пишет:
> Yes I run the tag command in the branch.

OK.

> But I remember now that i never could handle repositories. Maybe because i'm always working (pseudo) locally.
> So all i have are snapshot branches, also on the server.

What is "snapshot branches" for you?

> Is this the reason for the lockfile problem?

No, I don't think it's related. It seems you triggered some hidden bug,
so feel free to file a bug report.
Can you try to turn off auto-refresh feature in Bazaar Explorer and try
again?

Tools -> Options -> Behavior -> uncheck "Automatically refresh status
report".

Peter Bollinger (bollingp) said : #7

To answer your questions:
- When i grab the project sources from somwhere, I can do it as snapshot of a project. It was marked as bound branch.
- Disabling automatic refresh did not help.

But i found the problem:
After removeing the one line 'bound = True' in branch.config everything workes fine.

If you think this is a bug, then tell me and i will report it.

Many thank for your help

Peter

Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #8

Peter Bollinger пишет:
> Peter Bollinger confirmed that the question is solved:
> To answer your questions:
> - When i grab the project sources from somwhere, I can do it as snapshot of a project. It was marked as bound branch.
> - Disabling automatic refresh did not help.
>
> But i found the problem:
> After removeing the one line 'bound = True' in branch.config everything workes fine.

Thus you effectively unbound your branch.

> If you think this is a bug, then tell me and i will report it.

I'm not sure yet, but it smells like a bug. Can you show me value of
bound_location variable in the same branch.conf where you removed `bound
= True` line?

Peter Bollinger (bollingp) said : #9

This is the file as it looks now:
------------
submit_branch = file:///C:/PrimeTeach3/
push_location = file:///Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/
parent_location = .
bound_location = file:///Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/
[commit_data]
message = Muss auf PrimeTeach3 bleiben
-----------------

Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #10

Peter Bollinger пишет:
> Question #118520 on Bazaar Explorer changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/bzr-explorer/+question/118520
>
> Peter Bollinger posted a new comment:
> This is the file as it looks now:
> ------------
> submit_branch = file:///C:/PrimeTeach3/
> push_location = file:///Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/
> parent_location = .
> bound_location = file:///Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/
> [commit_data]
> message = Muss auf PrimeTeach3 bleiben
> -----------------

And your branch is Z:/BazaarApps/PrimeTeach3/ ? It seems you had branch
bound to itself, which in fact is very confusing situation. Also push
location looks suspicious.

I'd say: something is not good with your setup.

Peter Bollinger (bollingp) said : #11

You are right, i am not sure about these definitions and the documentation assumes that everybody is clear about it.
I guess:
Submit_branch contains my working tree from where changes are submitted to the server.
Push_location is the repository on the server.
Bound_location should automatically be updated together with the submit branch.

But it could also be defined the other way round?
Any enlightment would be helpful.

Best Alexander Belchenko (bialix) said : #12

Peter Bollinger пишет:
> Peter Bollinger is still having a problem:
> You are right, i am not sure about these definitions and the documentation assumes that everybody is clear about it.
> I guess:
> Submit_branch contains my working tree from where changes are submitted to the server.
> Push_location is the repository on the server.
> Bound_location should automatically be updated together with the submit branch.
>
> But it could also be defined the other way round?
> Any enlightment would be helpful.

push_location is default location used by command `bzr push` with no
arguments.

bound_location is location of the master branch in centralized workflow
(see
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.2.1/en/user-guide/central_intro.html)

submit_branch is default location used by commands `bzr send` and `bzr
merge` with no arguments.

Usually you don't set them manually, they're set first time by using
corresponding command.

Peter Bollinger (bollingp) said : #13

Many thanks and good luck
Peter